Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #1

Power Gear leveler question - Machnical question

I have a 2005 National Seabreeze and the Powergear hyrolic leavers system that will operate sometime on its own but most of the time it does nothing unless I get someone to use a hammer to gently tap the electric motor on the leaveler tank under the hood with while I hold down the button inside. That seems to "Free up" the motor and the system works. I think that it has some corrosion inside the electric motor and the fix is to remover the electric motor and get it rebuilt. Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove this electric motor? Any watchouts or advice?

John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The link below may help you.

http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/82-L0051-00.pdf

Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stott View Post
I have a 2005 National Seabreeze and the Powergear hyrolic leavers system that will operate sometime on its own but most of the time it does nothing unless I get someone to use a hammer to gently tap the electric motor on the leaveler tank under the hood with while I hold down the button inside. That seems to "Free up" the motor and the system works. I think that it has some corrosion inside the electric motor and the fix is to remover the electric motor and get it rebuilt. Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove this electric motor? Any watchouts or advice?

John
A word of caution from someone who has worked on these. The solonoid is mounted to the motor on the powergear system. Many times the contacts in the
solonoid get a tit on them and don't close right. I have had more solonoid problems than motor problems with jacks. The next time it happens have someone check the output side of the solonoid with a test light or multimeter. It may be that when the motor is tapped it causes the points in the solonoid to close)
Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good call on the solonid. Link below for trouble shooting the motor

http://support.powergearus.com/techd...HEET%20216.pdf
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #5

Paifully slow retract on Powergear

My passenger side rear jack is painfully slow to retract especially the last 2 inches or so. I have sprayed liberally with silicone spray and it seems I must keep hitting the retract button for about 5 minutes to get it fully up. I had the dealer check the fluid level in pump and he said it was ok. Any ideas? Thanks
win35p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a similar problem with the driver's side rear. I wipe down the exposed portion of the jack with the system hyd. fluid not silicone. Also there is a zerk fitting on the housing (stationary part) near the bottom. I use a multipurpose synthetic grease. Pump it in while having the jack exercised. It will eventually free up.
fillbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #7

I have had this same problem on my Newmar Mountaineer with HWH levelers. Look for an electrical connection on the back of the motor that has a single cable going to it. See if it wiggles or seems to be loose. If so, I would suggest that is your problem. Tapping on the motor is allowing that connection to make contact.

Will post a picture of this connection if needed.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #8

Thanks all for the quick replies. I thought of the solonid as well but it seems to work properly and all of the wires are on snugly. I am afraid that it might be the motor. If anyone has removed one of these motors, I would sure like to hear from you.

Thanks again.
John

Tags
power