Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Power Gear levelers

Power Gear levelers on my 2000 Discovery extend both front and both rear jacks to level front to back but then allow only the right and left rear jacks to level side to side. I guess that is the std operation for power gear but it seems to me that that puts a lot of twist torque on the frame. The HWH leverlers I had on my former coach allowed both front, both rear, both right and both left to level and it worked great. Any thoughts about the thinking behind the power gear arrangement? Do I need to be careful not to try to level too much right and left?
Thanks for the input - Harv

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Same for my coach. Seems a bit illogical to me compared to the HWH system.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerco View Post
Any thoughts about the thinking behind the power gear arrangement? Do I need to be careful not to try to level too much right and left?
Marv, I'm wouldn't be too concerned about it if this is the "Norm" for your system. Yes the HWH system was different, you're right but it is what it is.

I saw you're from Parker, CO. Max49, one of the long time members here, I believe is also from Parker.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
That is the normal operation of the jacks. We were a Fleetwood dealer and had no problem with frame torque or twist.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
That is the normal operation of the jacks. We were a Fleetwood dealer and had no problem with frame torque or twist.
So, do they compensate somehow? I generally level front to back first, then side to side with the back jacks.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did some searching on different irv2 forums and found out that when the RR jack, for instance, is extended for level, the front two jacks extend and retract equally to compensate thereby leveling the front. Clear as mud? Anyway, they expained it a little better but if you think about it, it works.
Thanks for the help from one and all and to one and all --- "MERRY CHRISTMAS"
Harv
Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They must have changed this in later years then. My 2005 with Power Gear jacks will allow me to level side to side with both the front and the rear.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Power Gear levelers on my 2000 Discovery extend both front and both rear jacks to level front to back but then allow only the right and left rear jacks to level side to side. I guess that is the std operation for power gear but it seems to me that that puts a lot of twist torque on the frame....text deleted- Harv
Works on the same principal as the system with only one jack in the front as the left and right jack cylinders are plumbed to the same pump. Therefore, when you extend the right rear jack, the left front jack can retract and the right front jack can extend the same amount. This prevents twist torque on the frame...provided that you extended the front jacks sufficiently before operating the rear jacks. If you don't extend those front jacks first, you will have twist torque on the frame.
Fred
Old 12-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #9

Quote:
The HWH leverlers I had on my former coach allowed both front, both rear, both right and both left to level and it worked great. Any thoughts about the thinking behind the power gear arrangement?
HWH is a FAR better system.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #10

I own a 2001 discovery. My manual states : extend front jacks 3 inches after they touch the ground. This allows for pivot. My jacks are the same as OP. If I level side to side only the rear jacks extend. I always level side to side first and then front to back. This compensates for the rear jacks only leveling side to side. I have found that if I level front to back first it is harder to level the coach because the rear jacks always raise one corner. Any one else have this problem leveling front to back first?
Old 12-25-2011, 08:27 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I have had both, but the Power Gear is automatic and the HWH were manual. I have read the pros and cons of both systems and each has its proponents. Since it's not likely that I am going to be changing my PGs for something else, they are my current favorite.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is no torquing on the frame because the front jacks are connected together with a "T" fitting so they work like a 3-jack system, Though I can tell you I like the 4-jacks of the Power gear system far better than a 3 jack system for assorted reasons (Mostly the fact that the two front jacks attach on the main frame rails.. Very very strong.. Where as the single center jack of the 3-jack system hooks to a much weaker cross bar)

But try this: Extend the jacks 1/2 the way to the ground and stop.. Now take a floor jack and slide it under ONE of the jacks (Or just put it there in advance) Jack the floor jack up and see if the other side front jack does not further "Extend" as the one you are lifting is pushed up? Bet it does.

Tags
power