Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #1

Power gear leveller

100's of pages on PG leveling, but I can't find the answer (at least the one I would like to get). Control pad is dead. Went thru all the diagnostics I could find and signs point to a bad 500457 controller. AC duct condensate dripped in the control box (not much, but some corrosion present). Cleaned it up with Qtip and alcohol, but no luck. Is there any information out there about trouble shooting the circuit board? Can just the circuit board be repaired or replaced? Hoping not to have to go to Fleetwood and order a new replacement.
BDStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDStinson
100's of pages on PG leveling, but I can't find the answer (at least the one I would like to get). Control pad is dead. Went thru all the diagnostics I could find and signs point to a bad 500457 controller. AC duct condensate dripped in the control box (not much, but some corrosion present). Cleaned it up with Qtip and alcohol, but no luck. Is there any information out there about trouble shooting the circuit board? Can just the circuit board be repaired or replaced? Hoping not to have to go to Fleetwood and order a new replacement.
Power gear is very responsive to emails but probably shut down till Tues. Here is their address. info@powergearus.com

Hope this helps

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDStinson View Post
Look this manual over while you're waiting. May help a little. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15918372/Jac...ice_manual.pdf
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #4

I am having the exact same problem with my 500457 right now. I found out where my problem is, just haven't figured out how to fix it. You didn't mention the year of your unit, but if you look on page 24 of the manual loulong sent you, there is a pretty good guide.

You also might want to refer to page 17. That's where I found my answer. Pin #1 on the 6-pin connector was not getting ground through the park brake even though the brake was engaged. When I jumped that pin to ground, the panel lit up, and I could operate the unit. I just haven't found out why it's not getting ground. CAUTION. If you make this jumper, you will have overridden the safety feature.

Hope this helps.

Another thing I cannot figure out about my unit; Every piece of documentation I have ever seen shows Pins 3&4 on the 6-pin connector as unused. On mine, pin#4 does have a wire connected to it, but I have no idea what it does.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
Look this manual over while you're waiting. May help a little. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15918372/Jac...ice_manual.pdf
Thanks for the link. Filed it away for future use, hope to not need it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #6

Saved.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobysdad View Post
I am having the exact same problem with my 500457 right now. I found out where my problem is, just haven't figured out how to fix it. You didn't mention the year of your unit, but if you look on page 24 of the manual loulong sent you, there is a pretty good guide.

You also might want to refer to page 17. That's where I found my answer. Pin #1 on the 6-pin connector was not getting ground through the park brake even though the brake was engaged. When I jumped that pin to ground, the panel lit up, and I could operate the unit. I just haven't found out why it's not getting ground. CAUTION. If you make this jumper, you will have overridden the safety feature.

Hope this helps.

Another thing I cannot figure out about my unit; Every piece of documentation I have ever seen shows Pins 3&4 on the 6-pin connector as unused. On mine, pin#4 does have a wire connected to it, but I have no idea what it does.
The PARK brake switch shouldn't be too hard to find and troubleshoot.

Also, some manufacturers require the engine to be running before the jacks will operate. They implement this by attaching PIN-4 of the six-pin connector to the oil pressure switch. See page 22 of the manual.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies and information. Power Gear recommended upgrade kit part number 1010001131. Thats about a $500 fix, so at that price I'm not ready to give up on the existing equipment yet. The manual from Loulong is great stuff! The troubleshooting points to a bad circuit board. Tobysdad - I checked my ground on the parking brake connection and got just a slight resistance on the meter (something like .04 ohms if I remember correctly). So, maybe there is something there. After having the circuit board out for 3 days allowing it to dry out thoroughly, I was able to get power back to the touchpad. It wouldn't operate the jacks though, and now there is no power again. I've got time, so I may start trying to trace out and check the board. Even if I ruin it, there is no harm done. Thanks again for all the input. 2003 excursion owners should put a drip shield over the 500457 controller to keep the AC duct condensation out.
BDStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #9

If you got .04 ohms, you have a very good VOM. Usually, the lowest they read, with test leads attached, is about 4 ohms.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #10

Loulong, I was wrong, it wasn't the brake switch ground that was missing on mine, it was the Park/Neutral ground, and that has proven an interesting quest. I don't want to get too much into a subject that belongs in another forum, but I'll just say that instead of the wire going to the Park/ Neutral switch, it goes to the pull switch for the ....... Auto Park Brake ...nooooooo! All the schematics I have for that show +12V going thru that switch. It maybe time to call OldUsedBear (again).

Also, the page to which you refer is not for BDStinson’t unit. He has a 500457 controller as shown on page 17. It is a manual unit like mine. But I found very interesting your comment about Pin #4 because I wrote Power Gear (Clifftall is right, they are very responsive) asking why my unit has a wire on pin #4, when all the info I have shows it is not used on the 500457. He wrote back, saying basically “You need to ask the manufacturer what they are doing putting 12V into Pin #4!”. Maybe R-Vision made the Condor with either the manual leveler or the Semi-Auto one available, and just wired the harness that way??

Tags
power