Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Power Gear Motor

2001 Bounder with a possible bad main slide out motor. I had heard that there may have been a service bulletin concerning a possible motor upgrade. I called Fleetwood about the part and they told me that the original motor was no longer available but that another one was a direct replacement. I had asked them if there had been any service bulletin but the person was unaware of any but wasn't sure and didn't know how to determine if there were any.

Does anyone know where I might find any possible service bulletins concerning the motors and any possible suggestion of upgraded motors ?

Thanks

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
PowerGear is now owned by Lippert.

I have an issue with one of my power gear rams and got excellent support from Lippert.
This is the email I used: customerservice@lci1.com

On the main housing of the power gear there will be a part number that they will probably want. There is one on the ram part that comes out with the slide but they didn't want that one for me.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
What is wrong with the motor???

We were pulling the slide in and forgot to move a rug in front of the kitchen cabinets. The slide hung on the carpet and the motor quit working. I checked everything and decided we failed the motor. Bought a new one installed and everything worked fine.

Kept the old one and one day I decide to tear it apart (just because). I disassembled and didn't find anything wrong except it did look like one of the brushes were not making good contact/stuck. I took everything apart, blew it all out with compressed air and put back together. I then tested it in both directions and it worked. So now I have a spare motor.

If the motor just quit working you might try taking it apart.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It hasn't quit completely .... yet. My friend is a mobile RV tech. His initial feeling was that the motor wasn't bad. His experience suggests that the motors either work or they don't. He cleaned all the grounds and that didn't help. Upon further inspection he determined that the slide itself was binding a bit so he raised that end of the slide. After calling a shop that sells and repairs motors they told him that if it has been binding for a while there is a good chance that the motor has been over worked and is failing.

Currently we are trying to determine the part number. I called Fleetwood and they gave me the availability of the part and the part number, along with the price. My friend believes he can locate what we need for less than what Fleetwood is asking. The problem is that Fleetwood gets the part from Lippert but they assign their own number to the part to it which, so far, has made it impossible to cross reference the number to other manufacturers.

We are working at it with minimal luck at this point. Push comes to shove I'll be forced into paying Fleetwoods price.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Do you know what model you slide out is?

Have you taken the motor out and inspected. Power Gear has a sticker that has the part number on it, it may not be visible with the motor in place.

I have had luck finding information on my slides. One of the motorhome manufacturers (can't remember which one) has an informational library that has quite a bit of info on the different slide models to include parts breakdown with power gear numbers.

Here's a link to a Power Gear Manual that has some info on troubleshooting and parts replacement. My kitchen slide is listed in here.

http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/towab...lide%20out.pdf
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Still dealing with the problem ! From the opinions of an electrical shop, the motor is tired and is only going to get worse. While diagnosing the problem we found where the slide had been dragging on the MH itself when going in and out. We adjusted the height but the motor is still suffering.

We will replace the motor but not through Fleetwood. My friend, who is a mobile RV repair guy can get it for less directly from Lippert or some other source. My problem right now is that I have one bolt that is in an impossible placement. I'm hoping that if I manually move the slide, then I can reach the unreachable. Has anyone dealt with the motor removal/replacement personally ?

Old 05-23-2016, 05:18 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
2001 Bounder with a possible bad main slide out motor. I had heard that there may have been a service bulletin concerning a possible motor upgrade. I called Fleetwood about the part and they told me that the original motor was no longer available but that another one was a direct replacement. I had asked them if there had been any service bulletin but the person was unaware of any but wasn't sure and didn't know how to determine if there were any.

Does anyone know where I might find any possible service bulletins concerning the motors and any possible suggestion of upgraded motors ?

Thanks
I replaced ours in 07 and shortly after we got it. I only remember that there was a letter at the end of the part number for the replacement. We've now had it for about the same amount of time and have put on about the same amount of miles, since that time, so I'm hoping that this one is better and hopefully longer lasting. With mine, the bearing seats in the gear case became elongated and not really visible to the naked eye. Kind of deceiving too, as it will run fine until installed and some torque is applied, then binds up, with the gears meshing. Usually begins with growling and then still going out OK, but not wanting to come back in, without some help.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update on the issue. I took the motor out and took it to an electrical shop so they could test it under load. As it turns out the motor is fine. Not a whole lot of other parts in an electrical slide. We decided to clean the rail system and seems to have resolved the issue. The bus is 15 years old so my guess is that there was just a build up of slide spray. I am going to use some "Gunk" on the rails at some point in time to clear off more of the build up. We used a watery type degreaser that did remove some of the lube but still some remained. Hit it with the heavy duty stuff and then re-lube.

My question now is how long does it take for your slide to extend ? Ours is the couch and dinette and is probably 2 plus feet in depth. Without having actually timed it I'm guessing 10 - 15 seconds to fully extend.

Tags
power, power gear