Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #1

Power gear problem

Power gear problem

I have a 2001 Fleetwood pace arrow with power gear jacks. The Jack system is the manual system which shows that it is in use 1999 to present. My Front Jack’s work together and that portion of the system works. Neither rear Jack is working right now. I was working on it yesterday and trying to figure out why my left rear Jack would not go down and now neither of the rear jacks work. I went through the flowchart and everything that it shows on the flowchart seems to be good. When I hit the button the motor runs but for some reason the Jack is not going down. I have continuity across the leads of all three solenoids. I pulled the solenoids and the internal parts are moving freely and I hooked 12 V power to them and all of them seem to be in working order. I took the solenoid for the front jack and moved it to the rear left position in the solenoid block and it still does not operate. But the front solenoid and or front jacks are still working which kind of tells me from my thinking that it’s the control unit. The thing that I can’t figure out is why the motor is running but it doesn’t seem to be actuating the rear solenoids. All the fuses on the controller are good. I have continuity on all wires. I have power at the solenoids and I have power on both sides of the leads to the solenoids at the connectors. According to everything that I’m looking at it seems like they should be working… But they’re not .

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Buellah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome back from Glendale.

Is there any chance the rear jacks could have both been bent in some unforeseen circumstance?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #3

No. I can run them up and down using the front leg power if I want
Old 01-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
The controller should supply a ground to the appropriate solenoid when you press the down button.

i.e. press the left rear down button, the controller supplies a ground to the left rear solenoid. If you hold a metal screwdriver close to the to solenoid, you should be able to fell it energizing.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a wiring problem to the rear jack solenoids.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #6

Not for sure if you tried this, sounds like you've done about all the troubleshooting except the controller. You say the front jacks work. Can you take the controller wires off the front solenoid, that works, and put the wires on either/both the rear solenoids to see if they work, when pushing the front jacks controller button. If they do, then a controller may be in order.

Another thing would be to put a voltmeter on the front controller wires to see what voltage reading you get when you push the front button, since you know it works. Then do the same connection to the two rear solenoid wires, checking for the same voltage. You might be able to do this right on the controller terminals. Then you would know if there's nothing coming out of the controller.

Waiter21 says the controller provides a ground connection to complete the circuit for the solenoids. If so, then a volt meter connected to the solenoids ground wire connected to the controller, should show 12V until the controller makes the connection to ground, then it will go to 0v.

The touch pad control buttons may also not be making a connection. If the electronics are on circuit boards where components can be changed, I would consider that, and cleaning the button contacts. If they are sealed in plastic, then replacement is deeded. If the pump motor runs when you push every button, then it's OK.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #7

I’m thinking it’s the controller. It’s completing the circuit to the hydraulic motor, so that’s running but it’s not activating the solenoid. I have continuity on all the wires from the solenoid to the control box. All the fuses on the control box are good. I only had one Jack in operable until I went to pull the fuses and change them out, and once I did that I have now to Jack’s in operable. I’m thinking there’s a short inside the box or an open circuit inside the box. Looks like I have to find some new old stock power gear gear.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #8

try pulling the connector off of the controller that goes to one of the rear jacks and connecting a 12 volt battery to the red and black wires.
reverse the connection to make the jack go the other way.

if the jack moves by doing this then the jack motor is good. Then try moving the wires from the front jacks to the plug on the controller for the rear jacks.
if they work then the controller is good.

if the test proves the controller is ok, then start checking grounds on the rear jacks
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #9

I just reread your post. You said the motor on the jack runs,
there is a shear pin in the jack. if that is broken then just replace the shear pin and the leg will move up and down.
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #10

They are not electric jacks they are hydraulic jacks controlled by electronics.

I just pulled the leveling control box out and it looks like there is a little bit of excessive heat in it and I’m sure there’s a couple of transistors in here that are pretty well roasted. Looks like I’m in the market market for a new leveling control. Anybody out there you got a line on new old stock of power gear?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #11

I snapped a sheer pin and my legs dropped down. I had to string them up to get home.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellah View Post
Power gear problem

The thing that I can’t figure out is why the motor is running but it doesn’t seem to be actuating the rear solenoids.

I have power at the solenoids and I have power on both sides of the leads to the solenoids at the connectors.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
When you push the button to run the front jacks, a switch turns the pump motor "ON", and a separate switch turns on the appropriate solenoid. The switch for your front jacks solenoid works, the two switches for the rear solenoids do not work. All this is in the controller.

When the controller is "ON" the controller applies 12V to one wire on all the solenoids, but if the second wire is not grounded, it will also measure 12V until it is grounded.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:16 PM   #13

Quote:
They are not electric jacks they are hydraulic jacks controlled by electronics.

I just pulled the leveling control box out and it looks like there is a little bit of excessive heat in it and I’m sure there’s a couple of transistors in here that are pretty well roasted. Looks like I’m in the market market for a new leveling control. Anybody out there you got a line on new old stock of power gear?
Double check your ohms on the rear solenoids before you install new control.
Don't want you to cook the new board.
Good Luck
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:40 PM   #14

Quote:
. Looks like I’m in the market market for a new leveling control. Anybody out there you got a line on new old stock of power gear?
Take the Power Gear Level Control model number off the controller and check Amazon.com. You can also contact Power Gear direct to see if there is a cross reference number.
I just got through repairing an issue with my jacks and Amazon was significantly less expensive than any one else by as much a 25% and 3 day delivery.
In my case, the issue ended up not being the controller and Amazon refunded me, no question asked!
Good luck with the repair.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, power gear, problem