Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
IMDSailor's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 871
Power issues. The rig won't start and other 12V problems.

Went to try and start my coach today only to find I have no 12V chassis power. I'm on shore power right now and have 120V power to the coach. Checked the power level of the chassis batts 13.5ish so thatís good but I can't seem to be able to get the power out of the batts.
I've checked the coach disconnect switch, this could be part of the problem, one of my wheel chalks was against the switch, so the switch looked like it was half on, half off. The coach switch was unaffected. As well as being unable to start the coach, tried using the Battery Boost switch it had no effect. I have no power to the 12V the aux outlets, things like the window fans, headlights etc. don't work either. Just to add a wrinkle, there is power to the dash radio.
__________________

__________________
Stewart & Kim. 2011 Serrano 31V, MaxForce 7 w/ Allison 6 Sp. Fiat 500 Sport Diesel Pusher.
Surge Guard 3450, TST 510, Sliverleaf VMSpc, RVND 7710. Blue Ox Tow. 2010 Arctic Cat 700 TRV.
Someday your life may flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 1,656
Hmmm.

The half on/half off situation of the switch was probably not good for the solenoid.

Those devices are 'momentary power' to open, again to close. Having continuous power could burn out the coil after a short period. Minutes.

So, I'd recommend you test for proper operation of that solenoid. But only after you have checked all your fuses.
__________________

__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
bluepill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,246
If the chassis battery switch is the style that rotates, try cycling it a dozen times back and forth (on and off) to clean the contacts. If still no power, use a meter or test light to follow the power from the battery and see where you loose it.
__________________
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
IMDSailor's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 871
Thank you for your reply. Where might I find this solenoid? And would a faulty solenoid explain the lack of 12V power to the rest the 12V subsystems.
__________________
Stewart & Kim. 2011 Serrano 31V, MaxForce 7 w/ Allison 6 Sp. Fiat 500 Sport Diesel Pusher.
Surge Guard 3450, TST 510, Sliverleaf VMSpc, RVND 7710. Blue Ox Tow. 2010 Arctic Cat 700 TRV.
Someday your life may flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
IMDSailor's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
If the chassis battery switch is the style that rotates, try cycling it a dozen times back and forth (on and off) to clean the contacts. If still no power, use a meter or test light to follow the power from the battery and see where you loose it.
It's your standard on/off type switch. Normally when I make the switch I hear a click, more like a thunk, when the solenoid engages. I'm not hearing that.
__________________
Stewart & Kim. 2011 Serrano 31V, MaxForce 7 w/ Allison 6 Sp. Fiat 500 Sport Diesel Pusher.
Surge Guard 3450, TST 510, Sliverleaf VMSpc, RVND 7710. Blue Ox Tow. 2010 Arctic Cat 700 TRV.
Someday your life may flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
KIX
Senior Member
 
KIX's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
It's your standard on/off type switch. Normally when I make the switch I hear a click, more like a thunk, when the solenoid engages. I'm not hearing that.
Start looking where that "thunk" sound came from. When you find the solenoid you can jump across the two large lugs to verify that you've found the right solenoid. use something like battery jumper cables.
__________________
KIX
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
IMDSailor's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Start looking where that "thunk" sound came from. When you find the solenoid you can jump across the two large lugs to verify that you've found the right solenoid. use something like battery jumper cables.
Thank you for you reply, there in lays the rub, I can't recall where I heard it comming from. Look's like a day of chaseing down wire runs tomorrow.
__________________
Stewart & Kim. 2011 Serrano 31V, MaxForce 7 w/ Allison 6 Sp. Fiat 500 Sport Diesel Pusher.
Surge Guard 3450, TST 510, Sliverleaf VMSpc, RVND 7710. Blue Ox Tow. 2010 Arctic Cat 700 TRV.
Someday your life may flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Hammer Down's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 204
Unplug shore power and see if the generator will start. There might be a rocker switch on the dash left of steering wheel that you might have accidentally bump to the off position. Happen to me once after leaning against dash with my knee getting stuff out of overhead compartment. Good luck.
__________________
1995 Winnebago Vectra 454 Chevy
1999 Volvo C70 Convertible following on Dolly
2010 Yorkie--Sir Lenny Thomas - Riding Shotgun
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
IMDSailor's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 871
I've located what looks like a solenoid behind the circut board in the Battery Charge Controller fuse box. Could that be the solenoid in question?
__________________
Stewart & Kim. 2011 Serrano 31V, MaxForce 7 w/ Allison 6 Sp. Fiat 500 Sport Diesel Pusher.
Surge Guard 3450, TST 510, Sliverleaf VMSpc, RVND 7710. Blue Ox Tow. 2010 Arctic Cat 700 TRV.
Someday your life may flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
IMDSailor's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
Unplug shore power and see if the generator will start. There might be a rocker switch on the dash left of steering wheel that you might have accidentally bump to the off position. Happen to me once after leaning against dash with my knee getting stuff out of overhead compartment. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply. Tried your idea, the generator will start.
__________________
Stewart & Kim. 2011 Serrano 31V, MaxForce 7 w/ Allison 6 Sp. Fiat 500 Sport Diesel Pusher.
Surge Guard 3450, TST 510, Sliverleaf VMSpc, RVND 7710. Blue Ox Tow. 2010 Arctic Cat 700 TRV.
Someday your life may flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Thank you for your reply. Where might I find this solenoid? And would a faulty solenoid explain the lack of 12V power to the rest the 12V subsystems.
In older RVs, there is a box named the BCC (battery control center) that is usually very near the batteries. Sometimes in the same compartment. There are 2X solenoids that look like they have a top hat, and another one or two that look like a standard automotive start solenoid in a silver case.

The 2 top hat types are the momentary Off/On devices. If the house solenoid is stuck in Open position, you will not have 12V to the house subsystems, like lights, and if the chassis solenoid is stuck Open, then chassis type devices, like the steps, won't work.

Once you find them, measure the voltage on the large terminals on each side of the solenoid. (You could also remove the small wires and measure the resistance of the coils). Have an assistant operate (press & release) the Main & Aux switches (usually next to the main door of the RV) one at a time while you listen. If you hear a clunk but the voltage doesn't change, there's the culprit. No clunk would mean a bad connection, bad solenoid coil, or bad switch. If you don't have an assistant, you can remove the small wires and using a length of wire, jumper those terminals to battery directly. The wire colors should give you an idea of polarity.
__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
IMDSailor's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
In older RVs, there is a box named the BCC (battery control center) that is usually very near the batteries. Sometimes in the same compartment. There are 2X solenoids that look like they have a top hat, and another one or two that look like a standard automotive start solenoid in a silver case.

The 2 top hat types are the momentary Off/On devices. If the house solenoid is stuck in Open position, you will not have 12V to the house subsystems, like lights, and if the chassis solenoid is stuck Open, then chassis type devices, like the steps, won't work.

Once you find them, measure the voltage on the large terminals on each side of the solenoid. (You could also remove the small wires and measure the resistance of the coils). Have an assistant operate (press & release) the Main & Aux switches (usually next to the main door of the RV) one at a time while you listen. If you hear a clunk but the voltage doesn't change, there's the culprit. No clunk would mean a bad connection, bad solenoid coil, or bad switch. If you don't have an assistant, you can remove the small wires and using a length of wire, jumper those terminals to battery directly. The wire colors should give you an idea of polarity.
Hi Jim_HiTek Thanks for the info, great stuff. My coach is a 2011, does your response apply the same?
__________________
Stewart & Kim. 2011 Serrano 31V, MaxForce 7 w/ Allison 6 Sp. Fiat 500 Sport Diesel Pusher.
Surge Guard 3450, TST 510, Sliverleaf VMSpc, RVND 7710. Blue Ox Tow. 2010 Arctic Cat 700 TRV.
Someday your life may flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Charlevoix, Michigan
Posts: 215
More than likely you will have a BCC. It might be configured different than the older units, but some method will be required to connect and disconnect the batteries. I would go to the Intellitec WEB site and poke around. I have attached the Intellitec Control Solenoid service manual and I hope that will help. If you do have an Intellitec system, they were very helpful when I had the same problem with the switch being activated all winter when something was thrown in carelessly by myself. Lesson learned. Good Luck, Ed

PS: the two small terminals have NO Polarity. Connecting them one way opens the Solenoid and the other way closes the solenoid. You have to hook a ground wire and a +12 volt wire to make the solenoid work.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5322019100.pdf (379.4 KB, 38 views)
__________________
GSMC(SW) U.S. Navy (RETIRED) 1967-10-03 to 1993-11-01
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser, Cummins B5.9, Allison MD3060, Toad: 2005 Focus ZXW SES Wagon
Sundancer268 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Dave78Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,513
Unfortunantly the Intellitec WEB site has been down for over a week. I think they were redesigning it and designed it out of existance.

Dave
__________________

__________________
Dave in Virginia
1978 Winnebago Chieftain
Dodge M400 - 440-3
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.