RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 06:15 AM   #1

Power line issue

Help! I have a 2018 Fleetwood Bounder and have a power issue with line voltage. When you plug in the RV to shore power I am getting on L1 120 volts while on L2 I get 127 to 130 volts. I checked power at pole and both legs are 120 volts. Checked power at circuit panel and both legs are 120 volts. The gage on the RV is reading L2 7 to 10 volts higher. The RV has a built in surge protector. Once the voltage goes to 133 volts the RV electric shuts down. The RV is in the shop, however the shop is saying they cannot do anything with out a hard failure of a part. They said they had the RV plugged in for over two days and all is working fine. Where do I start to look to figure out why there is such a differs in the voltage with the RV gage?

Siscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #2

Bad RV Gauge?

Why do you assume it is a line voltage problem?
I trust you are using a reliable voltmeter when you say the pole volts are normal and the panel (MH) volts are normal. So to me the problem would be the gauge in the MH.

Stay cool

OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #3

Has it shut down at 133 volts ?

If not, probably just a bad reading gauge.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #4

Bad gauge

I agree that the gauge could be faulty, however why does the RV lose 120 volts? The RV shuts down when the gauge shows over 130 volts and the shore power is reading 120 volts. I think the gauge is working fine, it something with the surge protector, but with no good wiring diagrams it is hard to figure out. There is something that is making L2 read higher and I cannot figure that out.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:51 AM   #5

Yes the RV has shut down when the gauge shows 133 volts on L2. However at the shore power it is reading 123 volts. Again it is only L2 with the issue L1 is reading fine.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #6

The only way for one leg to go high, is for the other leg to go low, and that's caused by a bad neutral connection.

You may not see the leg go low, it could be just for a moment.

You need to check your neutral connection from house breaker to main panel inside RV.

When you lose the neutral, the split up 240 volts gets wonky depending on what is drawing power.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

If you are in an RV park I would move to a different site in a different area of the park and see it you get the same results.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #8

A little more history. We have checked the power at three different RV sites and at home. We are still getting different power readings between the L1 and L2. No matter if we are on a 50 amp or 30 amp we still get a difference of at least 7 volts between L1 and L2.

Agree that it could be a ground issue, but where do I start? The transfer switch cover is riveted together. It looks like the transfer switch is also part of the surge protector. The volt gauge is part of a large panel.

Lost and do not know where to go.

Yes I am new to the forum, been RVing for about 8 years and am ready to retire, thinking about trying full time for awhile. First must get the issue resolved.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #9

You can't get different voltages with 30 amp power. The service is only one leg at 120 volts that's split to both L1 and L2.

Unless you have a Hyrbrid Inverter/Charger That's acting up, adding to the shore power, what your experiencing is very odd.

What type of inverter do you have ?
Old 09-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #10

I believe it is a Mengan 2000 inventor, the RV is in the shop about two hours from me. I do know that we had the master switch off for the inventor and shore power was on a 30 amp and I had a different reading on both leg of power. They told at the RV repair shop that they had the RV plugged in for two days with all loads and could not get the power to go out. So they told me to come pick up the RV. I talked to the technician and explain to him that the issue is on the line side not load side. He stated that he was going to switch the lines around on the transfer/ surge switch to see what happens. I know it is in the shop for repair, however I hate to drive two hours to pick it up with the same problem. Trying to figure this out when I speak with the technician again or if I have to repair it myself.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #11

The display inside the MH said 30 amps or you were plugged into a 30 amp RV outlet with an adaptor ?

On actual 30 amp RV service, if you have different readings on L1 and L2 , it can only be the meter acting up. There is no L1 and L2 on 30 amp RV service.

When your device shuts the power down it may be due to other reasons, possable low voltage.

I said to check the neutral wire connections, not the ground connections, although checking them all isn't a bad idea.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #12

Yes I used an adapter at shore power to 30 amp hook up. Will have to check neutral wire for lose connection once I get the RV back.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The only way for one leg to go high, is for the other leg to go low, and that's caused by a bad neutral connection.

You may not see the leg go low, it could be just for a moment.

You need to check your neutral connection from house breaker to main panel inside RV.

When you lose the neutral, the split up 240 volts gets wonky depending on what is drawing power.
You are spot on re: a bad neutral, very dangerous to any 120V equipment. The two voltages will see-saw up and down depending on the loading of each leg.

Quote:
You can't get different voltages with 30 amp power. The service is only one leg at 120 volts that's split to both L1 and L2.
Spot on again, L1 & L2 are at the same potential, tied together. Here if you had a bad neutral on a 30 amp service, the voltage on "both" legs would drop equally.

"Mengan 2000 inventor" is mentioned, I think you mean inverter and if so, that only inverts the DC voltage to usable AC voltage. One check is to run the coach only on the battery - through the inverter, then see what the L1 - L2 meters read, if they will read any thing.

So to me the only explanation is the surge protector and the processor in it is giving the L2 meter an erroneous reading and the same processor says there is a high voltage problem which leads to the shutdown.

Stay cool
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #14

Update on power issue.
I went back to RV shop this morning and discussed the problems with the techs, the RV power gauge is reading 121 for both L1 and L2. The problem is the built in surge protector gauge is reading L1 121 volts and L2 127 volts. Cranked up the generator and power gauge is reading 120 volts on both legs, while the surge is reading L1 120 and L2 125. The tech call Fleetwood, and they stated as long as the readings were 110 to 132 all is good. The system is working as designed. I agree the system is working, and yes the surge is protecting the systems and shuts the RV down if voltage goes above 133 volts. I still do not understand why such a difference in voltage on the surge protector and when reading power at shore power on L1 and L2 the voltage are the same while the surge readings are different. I am to pick up my RV tomorrow and when I get it home I will check for lose connectors on the neutral legs to see if I can figure this out.

Tags
power