Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2017, 12:02 AM   #1

Power locks for compartments?

I am having trouble finding replacement compartment door locks that are powered. Mine are manual locking and I want to be able to push a button and have them all lock/unlock. Where do I find such a thing?
johntaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A Google search yields many results on "12v lock solenoids." Wiring a double throw momentary switch would allow a lock/unlock signal to be sent to one or all of your compartments.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Wiring a double throw momentary switch would allow a lock/unlock signal to be sent to one or all of your compartments.
I'm not sure I want to create the whole thing myself. I'd rather buy a plug in replacement for my existing latch/locks.

In addition, most of the items the search returned are not what I would need anyway. For example this one is going to unlatch electrically, but I want to unlock/lock electrically. I need a solenoid to effectively turn the key, not to lift the handle.

I had one of my latches apart because it was jamming. I can't remember, but I will bet that the key cylinder is attached to the locking lever, so that a solenoid will not be able to move the lock unless the key was in it. I would need a different style key/lever mechanism that allows the solenoid to do its thing, but if there's no power, the key will still work.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I linked to a Google search that shows 579,000+ results for that search criterion, which was pretty broad since I didn't know exactly what you wanted or needed. You responded with the first listing from Amazon that was a solenoid latch used to pull a latch bolt only as long as the solenoid was energized.

I'm sure within the 579,000 search results you could find what you require, or you could modify the search to find more exactly you seek.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #5

I'm certainly not an automotive door/lock/unlock expert but, in all I've ever dealt with in electric locks, including installing electric locks and power windows in our previous Jeep TJ, and our present coach, is an electric plunger/solenoid that is mounted in such a way that, it attaches to the lever that moves the mechanical mechanism that will lock or unlock with the use of a key. That is, those plungers simply do what the key does.

But, in the case of our motor home, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, the builders (Itasca and Winnebago) provided additional space, inside each compartment door handle area, to acommodate a plunger/solenoid.

If you are thinking about that kind of solenoid, it's highly possible that you don't have the additional space for it, inside each handle assembly area. Now again, not being an expert in any of this, there may be smaller solenoids, smaller actuators that get the job done.

And, not only all that but, you're going to have to provide ALL THE WIRING for it, to each compartment door. Any type of plunger/solenoid is driven electrically so, wiring is needed. Then there's the way you actually trigger each and every solenoid. About 99.999% of the time, it's done remotely. And, for remote operation, you'll need a master control or, receiving unit of some type and, a key fob to send signals to that master control.

I guess it may be possible to wire up some sort of spring loaded toggle with reverse polarity wiring. As far as I understand the operation of those door lock solenoids, there's only two wires. But, there is no specific ground. Each wire reverses its duty, depending on whether or not you're locking or, unlocking. It's just like most electric steps, the grounding wire gets switched to another wire, and the motor runs the opposite direction.

Again, lots of this I'm trying to logically assume. I could be way off and there's technology that will work for you that I don't have a clue exists. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #6

This is the only total system solution I'm aware of. Of course, you will have to do your own engineering, component selection and wiring installation. I suppose you could purchase the components and have a mechanic/technician do the installation for you. I suspect the cost will not be insignificant.

500-1000 e-ASK System | TriMark Corporation
Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My coach has TriMark, OEM.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #8

I set out to add electric locks to my TriMark latches. After a lot of research and ordering a sample of what I thought would work I gave up.
If I could of got ahold of someone who really knew the the application it could of worked but TriMark is a really big company who didn’t want to mess with a I coach order.

Good luck
Pointrow
Old 12-08-2017, 09:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
This is the only total system solution I'm aware of. Of course, you will have to do your own engineering, component selection and wiring installation. I suppose you could purchase the components and have a mechanic/technician do the installation for you. I suspect the cost will not be insignificant.

500-1000 e-ASK System | TriMark Corporation
Well, after looking up that system, it appears it’s only a controller with a couple of key fobs. There are NO lock/unlock solenoids in that kit. As I stated earlier, the area where the latch’s are needs to be able to accommodate the size of a solenoid and , most latch assemblies that were not fitted for remote lock/unlock from the factory, will not accommodate aftermarket applications.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
How does it work? Do you have a key fob with a button for the coach door and another for the compartments as if the compartments are like the trunk of a car? Is there a button inside the coach that locks/unlocks the compartments?

Maybe these are only bought/sold OEM because nobody wants to retrofit.

I'll try some recycling yards.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You could do a poor man's lock assembly. Just get plunger solenoids and mount them to the frame at each door. Mount a small metal plate with a hole in it to the door. Align the two, so that the plunger shoots through the hole and prevents the door from opening. It would be easy to wire.

The system like most coaches come with would be cost prohibitive as an add on.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:43 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
So does mine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You could do a poor man's lock assembly. Just get plunger solenoids and mount them to the frame at each door. Mount a small metal plate with a hole in it to the door. Align the two, so that the plunger shoots through the hole and prevents the door from opening. It would be easy to wire.

The system like most coaches come with would be cost prohibitive as an add on.
Exactly! In addition, it gives added security, sort of like a belt and suspenders, to install a second latching bolt to the key operated one already installed.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-09-2017, 08:05 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaves View Post
How does it work? Do you have a key fob with a button for the coach door and another for the compartments as if the compartments are like the trunk of a car? Is there a button inside the coach that locks/unlocks the compartments?

Maybe these are only bought/sold OEM because nobody wants to retrofit.

I'll try some recycling yards.
I can only tell you how MINE work...they are all different. I have a key fob, first click unlocks both main door locks, third click unlocks basement locks. When locking, first click locks everything. There is an a button in the coach that is supposed to lock both door locks...it does not work, so I do it manually.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power