Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Power or not to power?

Our new "brick and motor" home has an attached garage large enough for our 40 ft MH. I can plug into 50 amp power if I wish. We're not using any appliances. What is the best method for short-term storage regarding use of external power? Plug in ever week or two to keep the battery's topped off? Thanks

2001 Newmar Mtn Aire ISC Cummins on a Spartan, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox
iFLY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Hi iFLY2,
Your Newmar coach should have an intelligent charger. If so, plug it in and let it sleep. My coach is connected to shore power whenever it is stationary.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #3

Heartland RV Club

I have a 50 amp outlet where I keep her, I leave the frige loaded up and the ac set on 80 . ..It's hot in Tallahassee

Wayne and Debbie
2014 Gateway 3650BH
2008 F350 dually diesel .
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You should be able to just leave it plugged in. You probably don't need 50 amps if its parked in a garage. I wouldn't suggest using the A/C unless you leave the door open and maybe have a large fan blowing the heat from the condenser coils out of the building.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you have an intelligent multi-stage converter charging the batteries, leave it plugged in. Otherwise, if you do, check the battery water FREQUENTLY as a single-stage converter will boil 'em dry in a few weeks, if not sooner.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
My MH is seven years old and has always been stored and plugged into power. My facility is just a roof with no sides so running the a/c is no problem.
Del & Charlotte
RVing - Time well wasted
2004 Phaeton 40TGH w/ 2010 Acadia
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
In TX. We plug into a 20A outlet, 120V. We have 50A of 240 available.
We have the AC set at 80 and simply check the batteries.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
With a 'smart' charger, plug it in and leave it alone.
2008 AC Allegiance 42G, Spartan, ISL
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi iFLY2,
Your Newmar coach should have an intelligent charger. If so, plug it in and let it sleep. My coach is connected to shore power whenever it is stationary.
Second... Since I had the wires in place, I put in a 20 amp circuit (with a 30 amp outlet on the end of it) and used an adapter to plug in all winter.. Of course I use my coach nearly every day summer or winter (It is my radio "Shack" (A shack with a six figure price tag BEFORE you add the radios, Some shack).

With the Progressive Dynamics 9180+wizard..... I had to water my Batteries, (Which by the way are over due, I'll check them tomorrow when I have some "Down time" every Mother's day. The 9180+wizard (or the 9200 series) are among the very best Converters.. I might add it is a very long list. (The very best) Many entries on it..

There is also a worst list.. Much shorter. (Single stage converters fit on that list).
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I leave my coach plugged in all the time as well. As others have said, no issues as long as you have a multi-stage charger.

To each his own, but unless you get free electricity, it would seem to be a waste of energy to leave the A/C on during storage. It gets hot here in CA as well, but the A/C can cool things down rather quickly. And unless you have a residential fridge I wouldn't recommend leaving the fridge on 24/7 either. Again, to each his own, but with the fire hazards associated with the absorption type fridges, I personally don't feel comfortable leaving mine on all the time, although many people do.

Just my two cents...

2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
Keep it plugged in.
Tony, Nancy & Abby the pooch 2011 40'Monaco Knight PDQ Maxxforce 10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
AGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
We keep ours powered up in its garage, with the fridge on also. I almost never winterize it as we head south before real winter weather, so we will leave the aqua-heat on to Keep it warm enough to prevent something from freezing. That requires some good venting to keep the fumes out of the building. Separate garage. We also put a sat dish on the garage or record stuff for grand kids when we travel.
2007 Dutch Star 4320
2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed
Roadmaster tow
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
Ours is plugged in all of the time and I leave the refrigerator on also. Before we leave on our next trip, I will pull the batteries out and check the water level in each of them, just to be on the safe side as they are very expensive to replace. Happy trails!
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ours is stored outside of my shop we leave it plugged into a 50 amp outlet 24/7 during the season. It's always loaded and ready to go if we get the urge, time, and spare $. Now all we need is a sewer hook up and we'll rent the house out and live out there, come and go as we please! Wishful thinking I know but doesn't hurt to dream a little!

John and Vicki,2004 Winne Vectra 350 Cummins, 10k lb Blu Ox tow bar , 04 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd toad
cmpncrsaider is offline   Reply With Quote