Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I use Protect-All and spray it on and rub it in a circular motion and it is done. If you want to buff you can with a clean rag.

The above way there are no swirl marks and it works great on the gel coat. I can do my 35 footer in one day and it goes on and off so easy.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
Porter Cable 7424
Plus 1. Corvette foaks swear by this.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Another vote for the PC 7424. Also Lake Country 5 & 6" pads are excellent.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:34 PM   #18

Another Vote for the Griot's Garage random orbital.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:59 AM   #19

Let me start off by saying, that I have been into serious automotive detailing for many years, and have won many awards at various car shows / concours events. So, I'm trying to add that perspective into RV detailing.

First off, let settle the Porter Cable 7424 and Griots Garage 6" Random Orbital debate - they are exactly the same thing. The Griot's unit is made by PC for Griot's with just a different colored case.

So, that leads to the first question that you need to make clear, are you working on gelcoat or full body paint? I do not have any experience with gelcoat....... Remember, McKees is a sponsor here, and I would certainly seek thier expertise on gelcoats, and for full body paint too......

While I have used many products on my cars, I have been a Griot's customer for years, using a variety of thier products. I have found Griot's customer support and service to be outstanding. I do not know of thier expertise when it comes to Gelcoat.

If you are new to detailing, Griots (and I am sure McKees) can help you put everything together that you need, including pads, polishes, and waxes (and, when I refer to waxes in this post, I am using it in the generic term including carnuba waxes, polymers, and sealants). Just talk to them about what you want to do, and how much time and effort you are willing to invest.....

The the big question, are you just waxing, or polishing and waxing? They are 2 different things......

If you just want to apply wax, and use a machine as simply a big applicator, which requires no pressure or heat generation, so as long as you have an appropriate pad for the "wax" you are using, the orbital machine is not going to make much difference. No experience with some of these cheapies, so would suggest that you spend another $100 and get the PC.

If you are going to apply polish on a full body paint RV (or car) the machine makes a very big difference. The "standard" for most car hobbists is the Porter Cable, and I had one for many years. Using the proper pads and polishes, it is almost impossible to burn the paint, or mess things up too bad assuming you are working on clean surface. Now, keep in mind, that a lot of the swirls / scratches in your clear coat are from drying, and or removing polishes and waxes with dirty or the wrong towels (and yes, I am a user / believer in using HIGH quality micro fiber products). But, if you are doing serious paint correction, using a PC can be a very long process........

If you feel comfortable with polishing with a PC, and want something a bit more powerful and do not want to take the step to a direct drive rotary (trained pros only), there is the Flex or Griot's "Boss" (it appears to me they are the same machine too). I just got a Flex a couple years ago, and love it. I can't imagine the time I would have saved over the years detailing my cars if I had bought one sooner. I'll just leave it at that, as I think it is proably overkill for just your RV.

Oh, and yes it takes a lot of time and effort to get a good finish on your RV. I started my first full exterior detailing of our MH in Dec. I got about 40% of it polished and waxed, and it took a good 10-12 hours over 2 days to get that done, after a good 5 hours washing and drying it the day (3 hours cleaing the roof the day before that.....) before I started polishing and waxing. Looks like we are going to have some nice days next week, so will be washing it on Monday and then continue wher I left off polishing and waxing again on Tuesday.

And finally, no way to reasonably keep a RV finish at the level I keep my cars which is a real mental hurdle that I have had to manage.........
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Once again this forum has proven, to me at least, that this is the place to be for all things RV. I will more than likely go with the Porter Cable unit unless I find an outstanding deal on the Griot.

My next request for help is what pads do I need and what brand would they be ? My current plan is to polish and wax. The amount of time required is insignificant to me. I'm quite retired so clocks do not exist and if it takes me a week .... then so be it. Also looking for good polish and wax recommendations.

Thanks .... again and again.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Griot's Garage 10813STDCRD 6" Random Orbital Polisher. Hands down the best polisher I have ever owned. Use it on the boat, cars and the motorhome. I even bought the glass pads and use it on the windshield.

Robot Check

X3 I also have their 3" polisher both work great.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #22

How about this one. I have seen this one in operation a couple times by persons I had hired to polish my coach. Not a toy and did a great job.

Robot Check
Old 02-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Once again this forum has proven, to me at least, that this is the place to be for all things RV. I will more than likely go with the Porter Cable unit unless I find an outstanding deal on the Griot.

My next request for help is what pads do I need and what brand would they be ? My current plan is to polish and wax. The amount of time required is insignificant to me. I'm quite retired so clocks do not exist and if it takes me a week .... then so be it. Also looking for good polish and wax recommendations.

I use the Lake Country pads. Here's a link to some info on pads.

Results for lake pads > Brand: Lake Country Buffing Pads - Search
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

I use Protect-All and spray it on and rub it in a circular motion and it is done. If you want to buff you can with a clean rag.

The above way there are no swirl marks and it works great on the gel coat. I can do my 35 footer in one day and it goes on and off so easy.

Modern technology is a good thing!
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post

It appears to me that your coach is proably gelcoat. As I noted in my pontification, I would reach out to McKees and get thier recommendation on pads, polishes, and waxes appropriate for your intended use. They may even carry the PC too......

For my coach, which is full body paint, I am using Griot's Complete Compound for polishing and thier Liquid Polywax. These are not what I use on my car, but were chosen based on my expectations and experience, as well as talking to the people at Griot's......

As for pads, I have a shelf full of them that I have purchased from various sources over the years, including Griot's, Adams, and Gloss It, among others. Everything from soft pads used for waxes, and various others to use with polishes based on the paint correction required.

BTW, there is no easy way to have great paint. It takes a lot of time, sweat, and effort.

And I can find swirls in most show cars, and on an RV, any RV, I don't even have to try, because they are there and very obvious to people that know what they are looking for. I have yet to see any RV that was even close to being swirl free as there is no reasonable way for most people to take the time and care in washing, polishing, and waxing to make it swirl free. As I noted above, I have to do a serious reset on my expectations on how may RV paint is going to look, because I am not going to spend 10-12 hours washing it every time, or 50+ hours polishing it, even if it's only once a year, because that is the minimal it would take to get my RV even close to my cars, including my Jeep......

Also note, that swirl is a generic detailing term for imperfections in your clear coat, they may or may not be circular in nature, but will follow the pattern that you use to wash and dry your car / rv, as well as any motion you may use taking off (or even putting on) waxes and polishes. They can be circular, up and down (most common on an RV because that is the way most people wash and dry them), or front to back which are the least obvious

Holograms, are the extreme, and what you see on cars that get the $20 wash and buff special at the corner car wash......

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
6" orbital that I purchased at Walmart quite a few years ago. It does the job for me just fine.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:07 PM   #27

I agree with the random orbit units unless you are a Pro at it, or you will have swiral marks. I have 3 of the Porter units and they are heavy but the vibration is nothing to compare with other units on the market.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I do my coach once a year, have never used a power buffer and am too old to start now. My coach and cars get buffed by hand...over all might take longer, but it's easier to get in the corners, around windows and slides, etc.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power