Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #1

Power problem

I have a 2001 fleet wood bounder 39z. I am having a no power issue with the microwave, front and rear tv and a couple wall outlets. They all work fine if I am unplugged. As soon as I plug in those items only have no power. I will then unplug shore and they come back on. My inverter does not show overload and I am not even running anything on that circuit. I am guessing it has something to do with my inverter because if I shut that off even when I am unplugged those are the same items that shut off. Any ideas please? I am new to this raving and am a newbie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Your inverter supplies power from the batteries when you're not plugged in. When you plug in your shore cord or start the generator, the inverter should shift power to the 120 v shore power. Do a search for the make and model of inverter you have and see if they have a troubleshooting guide to help or call their tech support.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #3

Welcome to iRV2.

Bob , has it pretty well covered, without your inverter brand info, anything we offer up will be an out & out guess.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #4

My inverter is a freedom combi with a hearth remote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishard View Post
My inverter is a freedom combi with a hearth remote
An info in the users manual , about having to use the remote to switch from , inverter function to shore power ?
Do you know if this inverter was original equipment with the coach or added by a previous owner ?
Old 07-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #6

All original to the coach. Yes there is a button to turn on or off inverter but it does not make a difference
Old 07-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishard View Post
All original to the coach. Yes there is a button to turn on or off inverter but it does not make a difference
Then , I would suspect , that the problem is some where that the switch controls, and when in the off position , a relay or other device in the inverter should be switching to allow shore; or gen set; power through.
That COULD be internal in the inverter. Different than my system so I can't be positive.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most "inline" inverters auto-transfer... just like a UPS.. IN fact Exactly like a UPS.. iF that is not happening it sounds like the transfer relay in the inverter is bad.

Easiest way to fix (Assuming warranty is not an option)

I have a 30 amp MANUAL transfer switch, this is a double pole double throw CENTER OFF switch. and you can not move from ON to ON without stopping at off first, Cost me 50 bucks, list price was 100 and that was 10 years ago.

Main power wire to INVERTER,, "Tap" it to one end of switch

Power line FROM inverter to sub panel connects to middle terminals (Black and white one side black other side white, Ground wire is common.

Inverter OUT connects to other end.

Swich in middle: nothing works.. Switch towared MAINs shore power works,, Switch toward INVERTER, Battery power works.

But frankly I'd want to fix the inverter. (I use that switch on a 15 amp branch circuit)
Old 07-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #9

You may be switching to shore power in the inverters internal transfer switch but not sending it power from the breaker panel.
I'm sure the shore power is not direct from the cord. Check for a tripped breaker, labeled inverter in or feed.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #10

I had an internal transfer switch stop working and I reset the inverter and the problem was resolved. I think the freedom transfer switch is replaceable.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An invertor requires approx. 12V, if your batteries are low it will shut down until power reached it's cutoff minimal voltage. Also like stated an ATS could cause this problem. I had something similar and had to replace my ATS because 1 leg (contact) wasn't closing properly. Good luck..

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power