Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #1

Power question

We are heading out to Indy for the race next week and the lot that we are staying in only has 30 amp service, we reserved 2 spots because out max length is longer than they allow, but said it was ok if we got 2 spots. Both spots have 30 amp hook ups, the guy that owns the lot said that there is a Y cord that will plug into the 30 and then go to out 50, I have not seen any such thing, only thing I can find is a 50(male)to two 30(female). Any ideas??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless the two 30 amp feeds are on separate legs there is no way to get 240 volts from two 30 amp feeds.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
Unless the two 30 amp feeds are on separate legs there is no way to get 240 volts from two 30 amp feeds.
Not what he's asking. He wants to use a "Y" adapter and use the 30 amps of 120 volt from each source. This would give him 60 amps of 120 volts. Not quite the full 100 amps that a 50 amp RV service gives but close.

I don't know if that's possible though. I'm only a retired transportation engineer, not an electrician.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not what he's asking. He wants to use a "Y" adapter and use the 30 amps of 120 volt from each source. This would give him 60 amps of 120 volts. Not quite the full 100 amps that a 50 amp RV service gives but close.

I don't know if that's possible though. I'm only a retired transportation engineer, not an electrician.
Not possible, and dangerous.

If the hot legs on each of the two 30 amp lines are the same phase, then using a Y adapter to combine them into one pseudo-50amp outlet is very dangerous. You could pull 60 amps over the neutral wire, when it's only rated for 50 amps.

And even if they are on separate phases it's still not really safe since the breakers aren't bonded and if you manage to blow one breaker the other won't pop at the same time.

joe
Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Lu03:
Are you aware of any device on your rig that uses 240 volts AC?
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and have a ball at the race!

Interesting question. I've not heard of such a thing but I'll be interested to see what our experts say.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
To the OP - best just plan on using only 30 amps for the week, or running your generator if you need more on occasion. It's not really hot in Indiana yet, so you shouldn't need to run more than one AC at a time.

joe
Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #8

I am also thinking of using the 30 amp and gen if needed while we are there and just hope that the noise isn't a bother to our neighbors.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
Lu03:
Are you aware of any device on your rig that uses 240 volts AC?
Not that I'm aware of, but this is a new bus for us and we don't even pick it up until tomorrow. Just trying to get my ducks in a row before next week
Old 05-17-2012, 04:49 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have one of those cheater boxes and have on occasion used it. Campign world sells it, TAZ is correct as far as he goes when he says that ther is no way to get 240 volts less one outlet is on one leg and the other is on the other.

QUESTION: How many things in your rig use 240 volt? (IF you have an EMS (Energy Management System) it uses 240 volts to "Sense" 50 amps, and that is all that uses 240 volts)

If you can override the EMS (Many of them can be overriden) then the dnager of using a cheater box with two 30 amp outlets on the SAME power leg is that the white wire (neutral) may be hit with 60 amps, a 20 percent overload.

This shold not be a problem as teh odds of actually drawing that much power is slim, IN fact the generator in my coach, which can power everything inside, is only a 50 amp box, (Well it has two 30 amp breakers same as you will have, but if I ever draw enough power to trip both breakers at the same time the generator should stall out)

Camco sells one (A genuine "Y" cord) and Campging world another type (Box with two 30 amp cords and one 50 amp outlet) They do work. But not quite as advertised.

(The ad says to use both 30 and 20 amp outlets, 20 amp outlets (unless grandfathered) must be GFCI when outdoors and these devices will NOT work with gfci outlets.)
Old 05-17-2012, 05:09 AM   #11
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
What type of rig are you picking up? Most units now a days have EMS 30 amps should not be an issue. Enjoy your stay at the track.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
This shold not be a problem as teh odds of actually drawing that much power is slim, IN fact the generator in my coach, which can power everything inside, is only a 50 amp box, (Well it has two 30 amp breakers same as you will have, but if I ever draw enough power to trip both breakers at the same time the generator should stall out)
Your EMS should shed loads before it gets that far. The EMS in our Bounder with an Onan 5.5 will shed at 47 amps. That is to protect the genset from being overloaded.

Bob
Old 05-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #13

Here is the link on Camping World, 50-Amp RV Box Adapter - Worldwide Merchandise Company D11-136 - Electrical Adapters - Camping World . I have seen many 50 amp users use these when only 30 amp is available. Wayne
ItascaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP
What type of rig are you picking up? Most units now a days have EMS 30 amps should not be an issue. Enjoy your stay at the track.
We are getting a 2012 allegro bus

Tags
power