Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
Question Power Sharing

I'm new to the motorhome world. I bought a used 2001 Newmar Dutch Star.
Which my wife has named" Dutchess.". Anyway I have a couple of questions. We just made a short trip of around 500 miles round trip. During the trip I had the Generator shut down because of high temp. Checked everything and couldn't find anything wrong. Coolant was good, oil was good ect. We ran this generator in the driveway for about 8 hours and it never shut down. I have read online that other people have had this problem before, but I didn't see any solutions.
The other thing is one time it started running on its own also. I don't know how to check to see if I have a automatic start system or not. It only did it once.

One more thing, on my coverter/inverter what does power sharing mean and how does it work. How does changing the setting lets say from 50 amp to 30 amp or even lower. ? TIA

Wandering2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
First, congratulations on the new to you coach. Not knowing the conditions of where and what the ambient temperature was I suspect you may have been stationary and had exhaust heat recirculation under the generator. A box fan under the generator pushing the hot exhaust air away will help prevent this problem. As far as it starting on its own, I think an animal may have stepped on the start/stop switch on the generator itself or dash condensation may have shorted the remote switch wiring circuit.

page 5 will explain power sharing. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's an air-cooled engine. so simple things can sometimes cause a reduction in air flow to the right places. Sometimes leaving the genset bay door open causes a problem, while another might run longer with it open. Flow from underneath can be blocked or diverted too.

A genset starting on its own typically means moisture got into the wiring harness or one of the start switches. If it doesn't quit doing this on its own, try a hair dryer on switches and wires.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You said your gen started by itself? That would mean you have an auto gen start which could also mean it shut the gen down when the coach batteries reached a certain voltage or the coach reached a certain temperature. I would read up about your energy management system and generator. You might not have a problem, it might be working just as designed.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:08 AM   #5
Thanks everyone for the reply. But how can I tell by looking that I have or have not got an auto start feature. I have looked in the manual, but it doesn't say much about it. And the Generator shut down on high temp, I figured out the blink codes from the manual, and I was driving down the road, not parked,. It did it twice so I just left it off and used the dash air. Thankfully my dash air workes pretty good.

And what about the iverter power sharing feature? anyone??
Old 08-26-2016, 06:09 AM   #6
Thanks RV wizard, I read right past your link. I"ll check it out.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #7
Mine has done the same thing. It has quit both driving and when coming to a stop after driving. A dealer told me it was probably hot air from the engine exhaust which happens to exit right under the generator. This dealer, who wasn't a Thor dealer, called it a ridiculous design. We have not found a solution.
Shell Bleiweiss
2014 1/2 Thor Challenger 37KT
Sedona, AZ
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
I saw a post in I believe the fleetwood owners section about creating a homemade deflector for other folks having the same problem. This metal deflector will deflect the engine exhaust away from the genset.

Dennis & Mary Ann(Directress of Navigation & Planning), 2013 Storm 32BH
denverh is offline   Reply With Quote