Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #1

Power steering, hydraboost noise

Has anyone found a solution for the power steering, hydraboost noise or vibration on the workhorse chassis with GM system. No noise until you want to turn steering wheel. I have heard it on others but not with the Ford system. I have contacted workhorse and they say yes they know the noise but do not now the problem at that time. The noise is real anoying. thank you
rgiesler21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiesler21 View Post
Has anyone found a solution for the power steering, hydraboost noise or vibration on the workhorse chassis with GM system. No noise until you want to turn steering wheel. I have heard it on others but not with the Ford system. I have contacted workhorse and they say yes they know the noise but do not now the problem at that time. The noise is real annoying. thank you
rgiesler21, Welcome to iRV2.com.

If the noise is really bad bring your motorhome to a workhorse service center. I can help you find the closest one if you need help with that.

You are saying a Hydro-Boost .. do you have a P32 chassis or a W22 chassis? The W22 will have a Hydro-Max. On the Workhorse the steering and brakes are on the same pump. Could you please let us know your year, make and model of motorhome and chassis. Thanks.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #3

The motorhome is a 05 winnebago adventurer with a w22 chassis. I have had it at our workhorse dealer here in Boise and they couldn't determine what it is also. Like I mentioned earlier, I tried others with the GM system and they all did it. I was just hoping workhorse or someone has figured it out. Thank you for your help.
rgiesler21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
1. Please discribe the noise - is it airborne or is it a vibration you feel in you hands through the strg wheel.

2. You stated all (others with the GM system did it).
Is this comparing Workhorse MH chassis VS Ford MH chassis?

3. The last time I looked, Workhorse and FORD used the same TRW steering gear. The pump supplier may differ.

4. To reduce airborne noise: Try GM Power Steering fluid from a GM Dealer. Remove all the fluid in the tank and disconnect the return hose and manually turn the steering wheel lock to lock 2 times to purg the fluid in the gear/hose.
Fill and run engine a few seconds, check tank and fill as needed.

Why GM fluid - As all oils are good, just some are better the others.

5. If you feel a vibration under load - replace pump/relief valve.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #5

I have the same noise...it's the classic "whirr" when you turn the wheel away from center and there is some radiant feeling in the wheel but not much...it reminds me exactly of what a power steering pump sounds like when it's low on fluid, but 3 different RV shops checked it and said fluid is fine and that noise is just a Workhorse thing...they did agree it is the power steering pump. One service guy said he has ordered rebuilt steering boxes and pumps for people wanting to get rid of the noise and sometimes the new box is even noisier. My concern was what if it is a worn pump, what will happen if it finally fails. One answer was "it will be very hard to steer"...duh, ya think? Another answer was "if the pump's bearings go out it could ruin the serpentine belt then you loose other things as well"..that's not cool either.

It would be nice to get rid of the noise...you can hear it at any speed
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #6

I had the same problem on a Kountry Star by Newmar. The next time they drain the power steering fluid have them put it in a CLEAN bucket then take a strong light or sunlight and see if there is any glistening metal particles in the fluid. If so, the shaft may be out of round or bent and is shaving metal inside the pump. By the way Newmar couldn’t fix my problem.
onebadrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I had the same problem on my 91 Cross Country P 30 Chevy. I just bought this used, I tried a bottle of Lucas Power Steering treatment fluid. Drove it 2 thousand miles and it seemed to cure the noise problem.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #8

If I'm seeing this right the last two great ideas came from brand new IRV2 members. If that's true, welcome to each of you, and thanks much for the tips!
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 AM   #9
paz

I have had the same noise on our '05 W24 since the rig was new. The noise is the same as when you step on the brake with the engine off. It's the sound of the boost pump running. I get the same thing with the engine running at idle and I have my foot on the brake and turn the steering wheel sharply at the same time.

Using the brake and power steering at the same time at low engine RPM causes the boost pump to run. To keep the pump from having to run when backing into a campsite, I keep one foot on the brake and one foot lightly on the gas to increase the engine RPM
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #10

Here is a good write up about Hydroboost systems in general. It includes references to typical noises associated with a Hydroboost system:

Operation, Diagnosis and Repair of HYDRO-BOOST

Dave
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
paz,

The hydro boost electric driven pump should not be on for normal operation conditions as you discribe. Some ideas:

1. check idle engine RPM and have to set to spec
2. check the engine mounted pwr steering pump oil level, pressure relief valve, remove and check for dirt on seat ect.
3. have the pump checked for flow/pressure at min rpm.

Note: 1- to determine pump noise - unplug the Electrical to the Hydr boost and run engine check strg and noise.
2- ignition switch to ON no engine on and step on brake check for noise.

GG
Old 12-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the post above the Hydro boost system in not correct for the w22, It has the Hydro-MAX. The same noise recommendations would apply.

I looked at my w22 (05 2008 build) and it has a (ZFLS) -Steering Gear and Pump, the pump label (made in Germany). ZF Lenksysteme is a joint venture of Robert Bosch & ZF Freidrichshafen AG (re Count Zepplin - Air ships).

This makes some sense, as it has Bosch Disc brakes ,Steering gear, Steering Pump, electric motor driven boost pump on the brake booster.

Workhorse recommends Power steering fluid P/N 1052887 page 48 of 2009 chassis manual.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #13
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
pic of gear/pump
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07531.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	7345   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07443.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	7346  

Old 12-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #14

Try this http://rb-kwin.bosch.com/pool/usa/pdfs/HydroMax_Hydraulic_Brake_Booster_Manual.pdf