Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Power steps

I'm having problems with my power steps, I have an 06 discovery with kwik kee steps, they don't seem to retract all the way or extend all the way and there is alot of play in the steps. I've attached an image. It seems most of the play is in the cast alum linkage as well as the motor itself which has about 1/8 revolution of play, any suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3760170963.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	21310  

Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Probably need lubrication. Lubricate all joints with white lithium grease, spray can, available at auto parts stores.
The motor shuts off, not with a limit switch but on current draw. The linkage offers to much resistance and the motor shuts off before the required travel is complete.

Most RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
2000 National Sea Breeze F53
1998 CRV Toad
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Yup.....Gary is right....I've had this problem forever with my Kwikee Steps. Every time we sit for more than a week I spray them with silicone prior to departure.

What I can't understand is "why" these steps are so common in the RV world.....poor design....not solid....prone to malfunction...etc....Must Be Cheap!
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for your replies, I will try that and post my results. I still am a little concerned in the play, I can move the bottom step 4 inches or so back and forth, and the armature of the motor lists from side to side 5 to 10 degrees. Let me know what you think and in the mean time I will lube the joints and see if the voltage moves it all the way. I do have a bad cell, but I'm plugged in and the inverter is on low demand.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I had a problem with the step movement back & forth. 2 mounting bolts had broken off on the back side. Might be something to check.

2010 Phaeton QTH 40'
2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Recon, D,2/7, 1st Cav '65
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
I had the same problem 2 weeks ago just as we were backing down the driveway starting a trip. Our steps didn't retract. Maybe this will help.
Actually I think the floppy linkage is good. that keeps friction and binding down.
The motor is probably overheating trying to open or close so unplug it before the motor.
The weak point in the assembly is where the window winder gear (hardened steel) meets the junky Kwikee pot metal gear that twists the step linkage.
The big gear wears-out and the teeth eventually jam or break-off.
Pull the entire winder motor assembly off (3 vertical screws), not just the motor itself, and remove the cotter pin from the far-end linkage. That will allow you to pull-out the fat, square shaft at the end of the bell-crank that goes thru the middle of the big gear. I found half the teeth on that large gear were shot, so I rotated it 180 degrees to the other unused half the gear. lubricate the new teeth. Reassemble and the steps should work like new. Almost totally silent too.
MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Acker1 View Post
I had a problem with the step movement back & forth. 2 mounting bolts had broken off on the back side. Might be something to check.

Same here except three broke and I couldn't see that they were broken until I pulled the motor bracket off. I noticed that the steps seemed to be getting sloppy but couldn't see why.
One of the two machine screws that held the motor was also broken but the head stayed in place. That wasn't apparent either until it was all apart. That was done when the steps were manufactured.

The bolts broke because the blind holes they screwed into were not tapped deep enough. That allowed slop and the extra stress caused one to break and then sometime later the second two broke. The one that broke first had a break that was obviously old.
When the third broke the steps collapsed and darn near pitched my wife out on her face. When I replaced the bolts I used a stronger grade and used washers to slightly raise them so they were tight.

This is a picture of the broken bolts:

This is the motor:

This is after it was reassembled:

Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Luckily it was infact a lubrication problem. I used a marine spray lubricant, hopefully it will last a little longer than white lith