Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #1

Power Supply Upgrade

Two seasons ago, the flood battery set 2 x 12 VDC finished failing. Of course these things never fail in the driveway. Cut a trip short and made it home without incident.

The next set of batteries was a set of golf cart batteries, 2 x 6 VDC. Even with regular maintenance, they eventually were deemed inadequate and have now been replaced with a set of 2 x 12 VDC AGMs.

I am still nagged by minor voltage/capacity issues and have finally decided it is time to replace the 11+ year old / old technology(?) coach converter - AD/DC. My gut is telling me that there is a charging system mismatch - flood acid v AGM.

Of course the ideal upgrade would be to update the entire electrical cabinet - control/converter/inverter - but I may not be there yet.

Oh wise ones, what are your thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm not clear on what you mean by, "flood battery set 2 x 12 VDC finished failing." Do you mean flooded batteries? -- lead-acid technology? Also "finished failing?"

What "minor voltage/capacity issues" where you having? You also haven't specifically identified what converter/charger you have now, battery size/capacity, and what you expect from your 12v system. Do you dry camp a lot? What do you want the batteries to do? Do you have room to add batteries?

3 sets of batteries in 10 years seems like something is shortening their useful lifespan.

You mention "entire electrical cabinet - control/converter/inverter" What control and inverter do you have? What does your inverter power?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #3

Your original converter is likely not adequate to charge the AGM batteries. Also the newer equipment is more sophisticated and does a better job of maintaining the batteries. The newer equipment have settings that allow you to set the charger up for the specifics of your battery bank like capacity and type of battery. If your are also considering upgrading the inverter now would be the time to do it, particularly if you are ever going to put a residential refrigerator in you coach. I like the Magnum MS Series Inverter/Charger with the remote that allows you to monitor the battery bank.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 1996 and the owners manual states it switches from battery to converter on shore power and provides 13.8 volts to the battery. Nothing about being a true battery charger. I have to keep up on the water if we are plugged in for a long time.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What converter and type do you have now? If just a one stage deck mount that plugs into a 120vac outlet just get one of the newer multistage deck type converters and its pretty much a drop in replacement.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenrule View Post
We have a 1996 and the owners manual states it switches from battery to converter on shore power and provides 13.8 volts to the battery. Nothing about being a true battery charger. I have to keep up on the water if we are plugged in for a long time.
You didn't state what converter/charger make and model you have. I'd guess that a 19916 converter/charger should be capable of more than just 13.8v with no other charge levels. Look up the manual or specs for you C/C.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #7

Bob-

Your 2008 Destination came with a single-stage converter-charger. The newer 3- or 4-stage chargers built into the converters are much kinder to batteries.

I recommend the Progressive Dynamics PD9260C converter-charger. Here is a link to where you can buy one. If you have some basic skills and confidence, you can replace the existing converter-charger yourself.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I upgraded my 08 Destination charger and inverter due to some of the same battery issues. I replaced them both with a Magnum 2012 which does both functions. My AGM batteries then lasted 8 years. I just replaced them with 4 Interstate flooded cells as I wanted more amp hours and 4 AGMs were 3 times the price of the flooded cells. The Magnum has settings for AGM or flooded as well as the total amp hours.

I am now installing the Magnum AGM (auto gen start) which fully integrates with the Magnum 2012 and the remote.

I wanted to add more circuits to the inverter and that is the reason for upgrading the inverter.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #9

Excellent responses and guidance

The rig currently has, it's second Progressive Dynamic Intelli Power 9200. It's predecessor is in the basement - awaiting my final simple repair. (20 years AF communications electronics- technician, followed by the last 20 years of business management professional).

Anyways, last fall, I upgraded to a pair of Duracell AGM 31DMAGM batteries. Along with the protocol of monthly battery terminal cleansing. Some of last falls problems were most liklely caused by loose and/or corroded connections.

The symptoms of concern are low voltage. Sometimes the idiot lights only go to three v four. The most apparent symptom is the the back camera flickers from low voltage I need to get off of the idiot lights and more towards authentic voltage/current measurements.

Some excellent guidance and options have been presented. Thank you each for the gift of your expertise and time. It is time to modernize the power management system.

(Then the awning arms and steps.)

Cheers, Bob

Tags
power, upgrade