Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
While staying in Indianapolis this winter, we had a warm storm with lots of electrical activity. One bolt was so close that the EMS HW50C tripped, but turned right back on. I am sure there was a surge of some kind.

It is great to be able to tell the campground owner he has a low voltage problem on leg 1. Then not believing you he switches legs, and the EMS shows low voltage on leg 2. Now he knows he has a problem and it is not in the coach wiring. :-)

I'd go for Progressive EMS, it does so much more!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #16

Thanks, just bought the ts. Cat 320, you may be right. The holiday I owned didn't have one so I will ck tomorrow!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #17

Thank you for the info. I called the dealer today and asked them to switch me from the Surge Guard to the Progressive Industries model. I still have a month to delivery so now is the time to get all of this worked out.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentILRVer View Post
Thank you for the info. I called the dealer today and asked them to switch me from the Surge Guard to the Progressive Industries model. I still have a month to delivery so now is the time to get all of this worked out.
You won't be sorry. You've spent a lot of money on your coach, spending a few hundred to save thousands is the best investment you''ll make.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
doc

Appalachian Campers
Progressive is what we have. 50 amp portable. I figure I don't want to go buy another if I trade coaches. Wish I had it in 07 when a new CG in Kentucky was wired wrong and burned up part of my EMS system.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for this info, I am now going to have the Progressive installed. These threads have been very helpful !
Old 03-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #21

Commercial Member

Monaco Owners Club
The hard wired 50 amp Progressive Industry Energy Management System should be the ONLY one!!! It is an awesome product. We also got the remote with it. I keep it in my bay so I can look at it as soon as we plug in... very helpful
All these "portable" ones will allow just about anything to happen!!! Worse, when it fails to protect you, who is going to cover all your inconvenience..... Progressive Hard Wire is IT - it won't fail!!
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Progressive is what we have. 50 amp portable. I figure I don't want to go buy another if I trade coaches. Wish I had it in 07 when a new CG in Kentucky was wired wrong and burned up part of my EMS system.
You made a good choice at the time however, if you had the space, you could have purchased the Progressive EMS unit with the remote and wired it in such a way that you can remove it to transfer to another coach by using a 50 amp plug and receptacle That's what I did with mine.

At the same time, I also purchased a 50 amp PowerMaster Voltage Booster and a 50 amp installation pig tail converter. Everything is plugged together including the Progressive EMS unit versus being permanently wired together.

Plus it all sits inside my locked engine compartment and not outside at the pedestal.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I lucked out a few years ago. I found a brand new 50a hardwire SurgeGuard unit on EBay for $100.00. It was a pain to install because of the limited space that I had. It had tripped twice because of low voltage, so it seems to be doing the job.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #24

I took the Fleetwood tour yesterday and learned that all of the Diesel coaches receive a hardwired protector at the factory. Surge Guard model 41260 in the case of the Discovery model.

The tour guide made it a point to stop and pick one of the units up and show it to all of us. I'm posting this message because I have a feeling that Fleetwood is probably not the only manufacturer installing these at the factory. It might save you several hundred dollars to make a phone call prior to purchasing/installing one. Especially if your coach is only 2-3 years old.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good point, a good friend told me that Fleetwood has been installing at the factory since their 2004 models !
Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
If your looking for surge protection the higher the joules rating the better. Progressive Industries 50 amp hard wire unit is the highest rating I have seen at 3560 joules. My only issue I have with these units is the low voltage cutoff limit at 104 volts which is the highest of any. Motors operated at 108 volts or below for any length of time reduces a motor's life by 50%. I have the above mentioned unit with remote display.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
In the past 50 years of traveling; Belonging to 14 different clubs and chapters; Braved meny storms;; We have never had a surge problem nor has any one in our group; We carry a computer, No problem; It's all ways Ether I herd/had a friend that lost ETC, from a surge; Or the Other one is; I look at as cheap insurance A surge protector vs rewiring the coach.. All valid points. . The facts as most in our group see them. If it was such a great thing the factory would install them.. Like you all know The highline coach does not even cerry a spare tire. I wonder WHY;; maybe it's not needed;; Life is good. It's your money If you feel the need. Then do it;; ( Get er done)
Old 03-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I would agree that the need for Surge Protection is probably not as important as the need for protection against poorly installed electrical supply pedestals. However, the surge protection is an added benefit that automatically comes with various electrical protection EMS systems such as the ones from Progressive and TRC.

If a person is planning to purchase either of those, then you will get some sort of surge protection too, however there is no unit on the market that will prevent damage caused by a direct lighting strike.

Also, if any of those high end coaches that you speak of ever took a road trip to Alaska and back and sustained a failed tire without having another tire for the ERS people to install, chances are that they will be hanging around for a week or so waiting to have a tire shipped in as they are just not available off the shelf.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.