Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #1

Power surge protector

Well, just finished our first long 2500 mile roundtrip to texas and back with a bunch of frustration. We pulled into my father-in-laws house who was suppose to have a 30 amp receptacle awaiting us, even though he did, he had 220 volts going to it. After a lot of prayers, we actually only ended up frying 2 lcd tv's and the power converter/charger. I thought that both ac's were gone along with the microwave and tv's but fortunantly we had nothing running when we plugged the juice to it. I should have listened to you experienced rv'ers when you wrote how important it was to purchase a surge protector, but now I'm definetly shopping around for one. Just wanted a little input on what brands have worked best for ya'll and I appreciate your response.
mmathias3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #2

Progressive Industries is the best, stay away from TRC Surge Guard.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #3

Progressive Industries. Since I got mine installed 3 years ago, I do not worry now when I plug into shore power.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Definitely Progressive Industries. I believe in it with every plug in I make!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
+4 Progressive Industries.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Same here, as JackR
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Michael & Madelyn to irv2.
You need the SP for future but your FIL needs to have a electrician look at this thread on how to hook up power for an RV.
A regular 120 outlet would not have caused you any headaches.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have no problem with the Progressive units touted above, but I've not had bit of trouble with my Surge Guard for the 5 years that it has been installed. I know it has saved me from having problems on several occassions.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I used my TRC 50 amp SG for five years without problem.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I must be missing a link !!!! How can a surge Protector . Elimanate Problems when you are Plugging a 120/127.26 Plug into a 220 circute; Also In our 40 + years of motorhoming/RVing Been it tarrebale storms Have never had a problem.. YES we have heard about Power surges; It has allways been a friend of a friend.Afetr a lot of checking It seems there was one once. At a large campground. some years ago. But the accounting of the incadent were so different I/you couldn't believe any. With The Exception of electronic equiptment , Spikes can be over looked. IF there is a storm coming TURN ELECTRICITY OFF:: life is good. Only my experiances;;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
" How can a surge Protector . Elimanate Problems when you are Plugging a 120/127.26 Plug into a 220 circute;"

The surge protector should see 120 volts on the neutral / ground if it is working properly and stop the connection, at least mine does.

My first Coach fried all of the electronics and burned all of the wiring in the RV due to a miss wired outlet. I lost the Microwave and the satellite receiver in my current RV due to a spike in power. Didn't happen to a friend of a friend or someone I heard about, it happened to me.

I now have a surge guard and will not plug my RV in without it!

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
In the field of Electronics AC== 360 Deg. full circle. AC sees only half of that ; == 180 Degrees; AC circuit sees .707 of 180 Which (use your computor) is 127.26 Volts at your Out let; Some people say 110 some say 120 ; I say WHY it is 127.26. Altho there is some loss In the tranfer lines . The Voltage(pressure) is actulley 127.26 Life is good..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #13

I can tell you First Hand

I may be new to this site, but I am not new to RVing. I have Progressive HW50, it is worth every penny I spent. At home I was plugging into 20 Amp 1150 volt service. This winter during the night , a major snow storm took a tree down onto my house service. Braking the netural line, I have voltage spike in my house on my 115 volt equipment line that did over $10 grand. The MH Surge Protector disconnected the MH service with no damage in the MH. Checking the display panel it show I had a open neutral. We spent the next two day living in the MH until the power to the house could be fixed.
CT_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Several years ago we were at Lake Louisa St Pk in FL. Surgre spike took all the electronics in the coach across from us.. We have a Surge Guard. No problem.

Tags
power