Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
DRDave, I already use to taking at least 24 hrs to cool down the Norcold before loading, so when we change to RR that will be the way I do then as well. I have 2 six volt house batteries, Exide Extra GC-135's. The alternator does charge them when engine is running. Thanks for your input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #44

Catonine, could you post the mdl # of the whirlpool frig your using. I'm interested in doing this as well and love to get by with minimal cabinet work.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:12 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
The one I am looking at I the WRT111 in black or stainless steel. It is a good bit smaller than the 1210 so my problem will be to simply fill in the extra space around the fridge. This model is a 10.72 CF capacity and comes with optional ice maker. But this size is plenty big for us. It is a great deal lighter than the Norcold 1210 also. This is a model being put in a lot of new MH's these days. Plus Whirlpool will honor warranty when installed in MH, a lot want do this. It also will come in the front door with no problem, and the Norcold will go out that way. The Samsung 18 is another option but it is pricer and we don't need the space. I am limited by what I can bring in the door without taking the MH apart and what will fit in the space that is half in hallway. I have not yet purchased this fridge, but will do so in the next few days. The cost will run around $500.00 if I get the icemaker, Most likely will to keep peace in home). If for any reason I cant make this thing work out, I will put this fridge in my workshop and just put in a new Dometic, but no more Norcolds for me.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:22 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you have the Norcold 800 series fridge, this model will most likely fit the space you already have very nicely. We have the 4 door 1200 series and it is wider and taller than the WRT 111 we are getting. For me the worse part I getting the Norcold out. That thing is heavy and bulky. I will take the doors off and everything else I can to make it lighter then myself an a neighbor can put it on the ground. Good luck with your change out.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #47

Alpine Owners Club
Powering a residential fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
The one I am looking at I the WRT111 in black or stainless steel. It is a good bit smaller than the 1210 so my problem will be to simply fill in the extra space around the fridge. This model is a 10.72 CF capacity and comes with optional ice maker. But this size is plenty big for us. It is a great deal lighter than the Norcold 1210 also. This is a model being put in a lot of new MH's these days. Plus Whirlpool will honor warranty when installed in MH, a lot want do this. It also will come in the front door with no problem, and the Norcold will go out that way. The Samsung 18 is another option but it is pricer and we don't need the space. I am limited by what I can bring in the door without taking the MH apart and what will fit in the space that is half in hallway. I have not yet purchased this fridge, but will do so in the next few days. The cost will run around $500.00 if I get the icemaker, Most likely will to keep peace in home). If for any reason I cant make this thing work out, I will put this fridge in my workshop and just put in a new Dometic, but no more Norcolds for me.

One thing to consider when looking at a refer with an ice maker and/or water in the door, if you winterize it is harder to get all the water out of those areas. It is not impossible, just harder. One year while we were living in the Charlotte area I decided to blow out the lines instead of using anti freeze. That was a mistake, at least for me. I did not get all the water out and a small amount drained back into the plastic valve that turns the water on and off for the ice maker. Of course it froze and split the valve, so I had to pull the refer out and replace it, not a horrible job, but just one more thing to do. Additionally the refer we have, an Amana, has a small water tank in the refer area to cool drinking water, I had cleared that of all the water, just missed the little bit left on the ice maker lines. Incidentally this tank is easily missed when winterizing and should be cleaned periodically.

Since then I have the valve to the refer shut off, buy bagged ice to load up the ice bin for ice through the door (I like crushed ice) and use bottled water or a Brita pitcher.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks DrDave appreciate that info. I have icemaker in the Norcold so understand what you are saying. But we NEVER go where it is cold and we live in Georgia so we don't have much problem with freezing. But I am still very careful about watching out for freezing weather.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:36 AM   #49

Thanks for that info.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:00 AM   #50

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
Thanks DrDave appreciate that info. I have icemaker in the Norcold so understand what you are saying. But we NEVER go where it is cold and we live in Georgia so we don't have much problem with freezing. But I am still very careful about watching out for freezing weather.

John, I saw that in your profile, you just need to watch for those ice storms in GA. Living in Charlotte is why in tried blowing out the lines, that year it was a wrong decision. We head to warmer climes over the winter but not until after Christmas, so I either have to winterize or keep the coach heated. With fuel consumption (we have Hydro Hot) and electric for 1 month it is less expensive to winterize, I only use 3 gallons of antifreeze, at $5 per gal, total cost is $15 plus about 1 hour labor to winterize and 1 hour to de-winterize.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #51

As far as refrigerators have you looked at the Avanti RA7316PST? Ordered mine from newegg, they had the best price, $392.00. The dimensions were almost the same as my cut out.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:31 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
@1958Surfer I have not ,but will. Thanks

Tags
fridge, power