Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Andy,
Glad you got your coach. Do you think it handles/drives better than the Phaeton?

Happy Travels.
Les

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldviper
Andy,
Glad you got your coach. Do you think it handles/drives better than the Phaeton?

Happy Travels.
Les
Les

The Phaeton of course had a freight liner chassis and handled well. The Ellipse has the Maxum chassis also made by freightliner. It handles very well, this is my first tag axel driving experience. Brakes are very touchy but very solid......since we were in the phoenix area, we decided to live in the coach a week to get bugs worked out. We have had problems with our front AC unit and have to take it back in to LaMesa this coming seek to get it handled.

We have other minor issue to iron out.........

Wow, the masterbed is SUPERBLY comfy and really is good sleeping. A huge plus!

LaMesa has been very good service wise, i must say that. We could not ask for better in that department. I have a lot to bone up on in this coach due to the fact that this is a more features rich coach than the Phaeton. I have never owned a Aqua Hot system for example.....but i will say this about the Ellipse.........it is a super comfortable coach, the 42 qd floorplan is really nice, having 450 hp is nice, having those roomy bathrooms and shower is truly excellent.

All in all, we really like the coach, it just has some differences I need to get educated on.

Andy

Old 06-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just finished a fun week at the Freightliner Custom Chassis service facility attending Camp Freightliner and getting a service check of all motor home systems.

This should be a must visit for all owners, located in Gaffney, SC. We had the 6 month check and now expect a year of trouble free driving before heading back for the annual check.

This place is the best!!!
rvgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info RVGary. What does it cost for this service?
Was there a long waiting time to get the appt?

Les
Old 06-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldviper View Post
Thanks for the info RVGary. What does it cost for this service?
Was there a long waiting time to get the appt?

Les
FL Chassis in Gaffney, SC is very efficient and accommodating. It would be a good idea to call a couple of weeks ahead to get the exact time you request. The camp ground is located behind the building. At 8:00 am the person doing the service is knocking on the door. When they are finished with the work your rv is delivered back to parking.

The prices and quality of their work is better than I’ve experienced anywhere since I’ve been full timing for the last 5 years. The prices vary depending on the requirements needed. The initial service was very reasonable, less than 200.00. However, after we attended Camp FL I learned of a few more areas that required checking. They fit me back into the schedule within two days. Although I have only owned the Ellipse for 2 months it was built 5 months ago, so I had the 6 month check completed.
Now I have 12 months before the next check/ oil and filters changed. This is on my schedule for next year...

I likely will visit the Winnebago factory next year also and have the annual check completed for the house items.

RVG
Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgary

FL Chassis in Gaffney, SC is very efficient and accommodating. It would be a good idea to call a couple of weeks ahead to get the exact time you request. The camp ground is located behind the building. At 8:00 am the person doing the service is knocking on the door. When they are finished with the work your rv is delivered back to parking.

The prices and quality of their work is better than I’ve experienced anywhere since I’ve been full timing for the last 5 years. The prices vary depending on the requirements needed. The initial service was very reasonable, less than 200.00. However, after we attended Camp FL I learned of a few more areas that required checking. They fit me back into the schedule within two days. Although I have only owned the Ellipse for 2 months it was built 5 months ago, so I had the 6 month check completed.
Now I have 12 months before the next check/ oil and filters changed. This is on my schedule for next year...

I likely will visit the Winnebago factory next year also and have the annual check completed for the house items.

RVG
RVG

THIS IS REALLY GREAT INFORMATION. I ACTUALLY GOT TO MEET LES AND HIS WIFE LAST WEEK, THEY ARE IN PROCESS TO BUY A NEW ELLIPSE. WE LIKE OUR 2012 A LOT.....BIGGEST PROBLEM WE HAVE HAD IS OUR FRONT OF THE BUS AC UNIT....SEEMS TO HAVE A BAD BOARD IN IT BUT THE LOCAL DEALER IN MESA, AZ. HAS BEEN GOOD TO TRY AND FIX THE PROBLEM. THEIR ARE FEW PLACES IN THE COUNTRY TO BTEER TEST A CLASS A AC SYSTEM THAN PHOENIX, AZ IN THE SUMMER. TRY SOME 110 DEGREE DAYS AND THAT WILL TELL YOU IF THEY WORK WELL OR NOT!

THE DEALER WAS NOT STRONG IN THE AUDIO DEPARTMENT.....I HAVE HAD TO FIGURE OUT THE HOME THEATRE ISUES AND WORKINGS ETC. THIS RIG IS ROOMY, HAS GREAT STORAGE DRIVES WELL.

I HAVE NOT TRIED TO YET TO GET MY MY ARMS AROUND CHASSIS MAINTENANCE ISSUES.

DO YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH FREIGHTLINER SERVICE DONE AT SERVICE CENTERS OTHER THAN THE FACTORY AROUND THE COUNTRY.

I have heard some complaints.......WHEN I OWNED A TIFFIN PHAETON, THE LOCAL TIFFIN DEALER IN LUBBOCK, TEXAS REALLY GRIPED ABOUT THE FREIGHTLINER FACTORY AUTHORIZED SERVICE PROVIDER IN LUBBOCK.

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS.

ANDY
Old 06-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have used the FL dealer in Ft. Worth, TX when I had the FL M2 112 for the last two years. They were ok for dealing with Truck issues but there is no way they can duplicate the Factory service center. The Gaffney location is the only 'full' service Chassis repair available. Also, they will warranty just about anything that leaves their factory door.

As far as House issues I think the Winnebago factory would be the only option for complicated repairs. The dealers just can't possibly have all the resources needed for all the different brands and retain employes with the knowledge to be expert in the systems.

After two months we are still learning the audio system and Our dash a/c is performing as required... 90 degrees for the last two days on the road. We're now in Gulf Shores, AL.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello Andy,

It was really great meeting you and the wife. We had a great time. What a great coach, love the colors. I have a solid price from our friends in Iowa and tomorrow I will be going to La Mesa in Mesa, AZ for a quote from them. They are only 5 miles from my house. We are looking forward to meeting you guys again, on the road, of course.

Les
Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
RVGary: Thanks for the note, how is Gulf Shores by the way? Nice Place I am sure.....we hope to trek back to Arizona this coming week to pick up our 42 QD as I am sure they can fix the front roof AC unit. Again, Phoenix is a supreme test during this part of the year. By the way, I see you are from Arlington, Texas.....we own some vacant land just south of the Arlington ariport. Happy and safe travels and again, thanks for your valuable input on the 42 QD and various issues. Andy
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ditto Les, we enjoyed meeting your and your spouse Rae....(sp?). Do consider this on your coach dealings......air fare and diesel will eat up a lot of the $2K savings etc. although, that trip to the Factory and the travels home would be fun. You are obviously a guy who studies the shot well before he takes it. I am well confident you will engineer a good price and decision. I do commend the La Mesa sevice dept at the Mesa store......Eli Saldana, as a service Rep could not be better......ANYWHERE. Maybe we can consult you about the WIFI and tech matters you and Deb discussed once you are going that direction. Can you tell me about the "signal booster" for WIFI we can buy? Thanks Les, safe travels. Andy
Old 06-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largeandy View Post
RVGary: Thanks for the note, how is Gulf Shores by the way? Nice Place I am sure.....we hope to trek back to Arizona this coming week to pick up our 42 QD as I am sure they can fix the front roof AC unit. Again, Phoenix is a supreme test during this part of the year. By the way, I see you are from Arlington, Texas.....we own some vacant land just south of the Arlington ariport. Happy and safe travels and again, thanks for your valuable input on the 42 QD and various issues. Andy
Andy, Gulf shores is the place to be... Great beach, good fishing, super sea food, and reasonable prices.
We have been here several times and now have decided to start spending more of the year here at the Escapees Rainbow Plantation. In the past we stayed at Gulf State Park, located across the street from the beach. Both parks are really nice but Rainbow has very large sites, and is very comfortable and pleasant. The price is right...
I had my airplane at the Arlington airport for many years back in the old days...
Old 07-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey RVGary....quick question to you. Recently Drove our 2012 42 QD through some mountains pulling a jeep grand Cherokee. Going up the steeper hills, engine temp climbs quickly to the red zone.....got a check engine light, said coolant was low. I stopped, let the engine block cool and toped off the coolant to appropriate levels. While continuing, the engine temps seemed better but on big hills, the temp still climbs really quickly to almost the red zone! Also, I have been disappointed with the very slow speeds uphill with the toad behind. This is my third Dp and even with the 450 hp ISL, I am disappointed with the power while pulling the toad. Have you had any such similar experiences? I probably need to find a FREIGHTLINER service spot to have this matter checked out but frankly, I need a break from the many service issues I have encountered on this new rig to date. Will appreciate your thoughts. Thank you. Largeandy
Old 07-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largeandy View Post
Hey RVGary....quick question to you. Recently Drove our 2012 42 QD through some mountains pulling a jeep grand Cherokee. Going up the steeper hills, engine temp climbs quickly to the red zone.....got a check engine light, said coolant was low. I stopped, let the engine block cool and toped off the coolant to appropriate levels. While continuing, the engine temps seemed better but on big hills, the temp still climbs really quickly to almost the red zone! Also, I have been disappointed with the very slow speeds uphill with the toad behind. This is my third Dp and even with the 450 hp ISL, I am disappointed with the power while pulling the toad. Have you had any such similar experiences? I probably need to find a FREIGHTLINER service spot to have this matter checked out but frankly, I need a break from the many service issues I have encountered on this new rig to date. Will appreciate your thoughts. Thank you. Largeandy
So far I've had no problems with any Freightliner Chassis systems. However, I haven't been on any steep climbs other than on I-40 in the Ten/NC area. (7 %)The outside temps were in the 80/90 degree range and all engine systems operated in the normal zone. I'm heading to the Pagosa Springs area from Gulf Shores next week so I will get an idea of how it operates in hot temps and steep grades. I'll let you know the results. Sounds like you need to visit Gaffney SC. Good luck and keep your updates coming...
Old 07-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Gary....yes the mountains in Pagosa will be a good test. Thanks for your helpful comments. I will let you know of my progress with issues I reported.

We really do like the new rig, lots to love about it, I guess I also have to realize is that the 43 foot tag axel weighs 44 k pounds or so as oppossed to 32k pounds in my previous Phaeton 40' DP.

HAVE ALSO HAD SOME ISSUES WITH THE KING DOME......will have to get a dish guru to help me out on that one.

Thank you again.

Andy