Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Powerlift bed problem

Our 2010 ellipse has a powerlift bed that has a button beside each side of the bed to raise and lower the head. The bed has to raised to bring in the bedroom slides. Pulling out tomorrow and have found the head of the bed will not raise, therefore the slides will not be able to come in properly. We removed the mattress and checked all the wires, tried to manually raise it, called our dealer back home for advice, they couldn't help, telling me there is no manual override. Anyone had this problem or any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the same setup in my Itasca Suncruiser and the bed can be retracted manually just like a slide. There is a clutch on the end of the motor and next to that is the screw you put a socket on and turn.

Before going to all that trouble did you reset the breakers and shut off the chassis and house battery switches just like you would to reset a slide that was not working? Unless the parking brake is set the slides won't work. Perhaps the bed motor is tied into the same override circuit? That's all I can think of for now. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #3

We have a 2012 ellipse that's has a weird bed motor. When we have to raise it, we have to alternately press the raise and lower switches he's until the bed finally comes all the way up
Old 08-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #4

Check the micro switch at the top of the rails, if it is shorted or not setting properly the controls might think the bed is already retracted. Sometimes the wires get pinched as well
Old 09-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=Hoghead;941473]I have the same setup in my Itasca Suncruiser and the bed can be retracted manually just like a slide. There is a clutch on the end of the motor and next to that is the screw you put a socket on and turn.

Update: We found the motor, not sure about the clutch. But there is a bolt on the end of the rod that lifts the head of the bed, we tried turning this but it just turned the motor. Then went to the other end of the rod that lifts the head, and tried turning it, but it did the same thing. We checked all the fuses, breakers, tried to reset with the battery power switches. Still no luck. So we took off mattress, raised the lower part of the bed, had to duct tape the sensor at the head of the bed to make the slide think the head was up to bring in the slide. Then lowered the bed onto the mattress laying on top of the dresser, what a nightmare! But the slide came in and we made it home, next week back to the dealer for repair. Thanks to all who responded, we are just learning how to deal with all these little mishaps, one mishap at a time.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same problem with my 2012 Itasca SunCruiser king bed. Coach is only 3 monts old

Bed raise & lower is controlled by Micro switch with plunger that must be touching the bed rail in order for power to flow to night stand switches. Had mine serviced twice and still failed as recent as yesterday. Best temporary fix is to raise bed mattress & plywood frame to expose motor assembly, [held mine up with walking sticks] Micro switch is located on left side of slide assembly [identified by two yellow wires attached to Micro switch] push in plunger and jam in something like wad of cardboard (etc) to keep plunger depressed. Power will now be restored to switches on night stands and bed will operate normally (after lower the mattress/platform)

Secondary note: second micro switch controls and overrides slide out from retracting if bed is not in storage position [headboard raised]. Micro switch is located further forward under headboard. [Two yellow wires indentify it] Use long stick from foot of raised mattress/platform to depress. This will allow "slideout" to retract (if bed still will not work using above method) but be aware that gear assembly will move forward and punch through wood panel at foot of bed because it had not retracted into storage position. But last ditch effort to get slide in and able to get to dealer.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you rjfmail for the reply. We raised the foot and propped it up with a board and duct taped the black button under the head against the wall that allows the slide to retract. That was our temporary fix til we got home. Then took the coach to the dealer. They replaced, well I'm not very mechanically inclined, but they told my husband solenoid's. Got it home and packing for next trip, and same problem! Packed and left and stopped off at the dealer and they did something to temporarily fix it, so we are traveling now and it has raised and lowered each time, so far. But we will have to take it back when we get home in another week. I will print off your post and take it with me and I'm going to have them show me exactly how it works and how they are repairing it. We have alot of problems with our dealers service dept. It gets really frustrating to have to take it in for these little problems and the big ones, but the real frustration comes when you leave and things are not fixed! So thanks again, I know your post will help.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had the exact same problem on our Tour a few months ago. It seems to be a fairly common issue with these beds. I'm not sure why, the concept is pretty simple. I ended up lifting the bed, found the limit switch and had the wife hit the slide switch to bring the slide in a few inches then extended the slide and now the bed would raise. It got us home and the dealer checked the switches and found them all working properly! You know what that means! It will happen again. I contacted Winnebago and they sent me a wiring diagram for the bed. So now I know how it all interrelates electrically. I'm just glad I didn't have to retract the slide by hand.
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Latest update on the Powerlift bed: after many cycles of the bed not working and going back to the shop and replacing this and that, the fault has now been traced to the electric power reel! The service manager says the reel had a short and the reel and bed go through the same fuse, along with various other items. Thus causing the fuse to blow and cause the bed to become inoperable. Anyone out there agree or disagree with this theory?

We still do not have it back from the shop to try it ourselves, we went to pick it up and now a problem with the opposite slide hanging on the hinges and pulling the side panels loose, that was supposed to be fixed, but now after they moved the hinges it's worse than when we took in.

Is this nightmare ever gone to end? I knew there would be kinks this first year, but it seems to be something every time we turn around. Hoping we get to head south by January, with no new mishaps!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #10

It sounds like it might be time to find a new dealer to work on some of your issues
Old 01-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Power Lift Bed Problem [cont]

Has anyone been told by Winnebago "customer service" that the powerlift bed problem is caused by bed head portion laying flat???

Their solution to us (according to factory tech) is that bed head portion MUST be set in a 3-4" raised position allowing motor to raise bed properly without getting stuck!!

Also they are saying our bed should not have been delivered and allowed to lay flat, hence all the problems we were having on our new 2012 Itasca SunCruiser.

Need hear if others have been told that story and if your powerbed does not lay flat!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
On the 2nd day of ownership our slide wouldn't retract. I raised the end of bed and pressed the black micro switch behind the motor and the bed moved into position. Found the mattress was hanging up on the head board. We are going to try holding the mattress away from the head board today and hope it works. We are now on the road and nowhere near a dealer.
rvgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes! Same probleml. Had dealer look at it and they said it was fine! We have to pick up on the head of the mattress to get the lift to start. Seems to work better if there is no bedspread, heavy blankets or pillows on the top. Does Winnebago read these posts? They should! I came from a motoryacht where the mfgr read the posts on the forums and commented. They must have learned a lot from the posts. Winne, where are you?

2012 Itasca Ellipse QD
Old 05-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertman View Post
Yes! Same probleml. Had dealer look at it and they said it was fine! We have to pick up on the head of the mattress to get the lift to start. Seems to work better if there is no bedspread, heavy blankets or pillows on the top. Does Winnebago read these posts? They should! I came from a motoryacht where the mfgr read the posts on the forums and commented. They must have learned a lot from the posts. Winne, where are you?

2012 Itasca Ellipse QD
Lets keep this problem in the headlines and continue with the comments. Maybe Winnebago will find a permanent solution and have a recall...

rvgary is offline   Reply With Quote