Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #1

Powertech

How does the Powertech generator compare to Onan? I am not familiar with it.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I take it you want to compare about a 7500 or 8000 watt Onan to same size Powertech. The difference is that the Powertech is a true generator. It will operate at a constant RPM; the Onan Quiet Diesel will run at different RPM's as these are inverter type generators. The Onan can be better on fuel economy on lighter loads. What year range are you inquiring about?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
I take it you want to compare about a 7500 or 8000 watt Onan to same size Powertech. The difference is that the Powertech is a true generator. It will operate at a constant RPM; the Onan Quiet Diesel will run at different RPM's as these are inverter type generators. The Onan can be better on fuel economy on lighter loads. What year range are you inquiring about?
Yes, 8 to 12K...Looking at Foretravels 2001-2004, seems the PowerTech is the generator of choice in most every coach. From what you say, I assume the Powertech would not be considered a quiet generator as we have grown to respect the Onan as? Got to be a plus in there however are FT would not choose them. I also notice there is generally lots of hours used on these gens versus many other coach generators on for sale MHs. Possibly due much to greater use because of more electric appliances than conventional coachs with on board propane (not sure if FT mhs even carry propane). You think life expectancy equal to Onan if well taken care of? FT, and other mhs with lots of electric appliances, must bank highly on inverter system so as not to run generator all the time. Probably not the kind of RV for dry camping where there is a generator curfew....unless the battery/inverter system is so equiped.

Thanks Wiz.

Bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The Power Tech generators are good but until recently, not as quiet as the Onan's. They should give you just as many, possibly more running hours. Good luck with the hunt and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
How does the Powertech generator compare to Onan? I am not familiar with it.
I have owned both an Onan and Powertech generator. I have never had an issue with my Powertech generator ever. I did however have oil pressure sender (shutdown issues) with my last Onan. My current Powertech (8.0 KW) runs quietly (front mounted) and is very efficient. The maintenance schedule is easy to keep up with and the Kubota 3 cyl diesel just loafs along at 1800 rpm keeping my entire coach powered with very stable electricity. I would buy another Powertech generator if my current one gave it up. Life expectancy is great on both the Onan and Powertech generators. You chose, you will not be dissapointed with whatever your choice is. Good luck. Seeya on the road
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote