Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

PPL Houston

We're in the process of buying a diesel pusher from PPL in Houston.
What's the experience been like for those of you who've been there done that?
Any gotcha's we need to look out for?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #2

I went there last weekend looking and they seem to have a good selection, but didn't end up purchasing from them. Not necessarily a bad experience, but the financing lady wasnt exactly the nicest person. I wasnt able to get financing because my credit sucks, but they said they would do a 20 point inspection with you or something like that and if anything was found they would suggest the owner repair them. Unless it was roof leak or a long list of things they have a paper describing what is the buyers responsibility. Sounds like you are further through the purchasing process than I got to. Good luck.
ama009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ama009 View Post
I went there last weekend looking and they seem to have a good selection, but didn't end up purchasing from them. Not necessarily a bad experience, but the financing lady wasnt exactly the nicest person. I wasnt able to get financing because my credit sucks, but they said they would do a 20 point inspection with you or something like that and if anything was found they would suggest the owner repair them. Unless it was roof leak or a long list of things they have a paper describing what is the buyers responsibility. Sounds like you are further through the purchasing process than I got to. Good luck.

Yeah, we've got one bought. It's in the "check out" dept. now.
Their financing is HIGH though. they quoted me 6.89%, my bank is at 2.79.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I was there in July and put a deposit on a coach pending an inspection. My rep. was Scott Garlington and he was most professional and not "pushy" by any means.
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have purchased one from PPL and one from Best Preowned RV in Houston. Both were nice experiences.

Check out Best Preowned. They completely redo their motor homes with wood floors and repair or replace anything that is defective, such as tires. They also let you live in the RV on their sight to work out any bugs. They will also deal! Check out their website, they have inventory listed.

Used RV's Motorhomes, RV Service & Sales Houston, Texas

I used RV Survey to do the inspection at PPL. I got about a 30-40 page report with tons of color photos. I think the cost was about $300-400. Well worth it for peace of mind.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oops! Forgot the link to RV Survey.

RVSurvey RV Inspection
Old 11-06-2015, 05:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nitpicking a bit...

You are not buying an RV from PPL. They sell other people's rigs on consignment, so you are buying from a private owner with a transaction assist from PPL. I bring that up because PPL is not in any way responsible for the condition of the rig unless you have paid them to do some specific repair or inspection, and then it is limited just to the service they provided. If the private owner concealed some defect or lied about something, you can't hold PPL responsible.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Nitpicking a bit...

You are not buying an RV from PPL. They sell other people's rigs on consignment, so you are buying from a private owner with a transaction assist from PPL. I bring that up because PPL is not in any way responsible for the condition of the rig unless you have paid them to do some specific repair or inspection, and then it is limited just to the service they provided. If the private owner concealed some defect or lied about something, you can't hold PPL responsible.

You are correct. I just went back & reread my post. I should have said "buying through" PPL.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:52 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBelvedere View Post
I was there in July and put a deposit on a coach pending an inspection. My rep. was Scott Garlington and he was most professional and not "pushy" by any means.
That's who I dealt with as well, good guy.

Just didn't buy from them. Kind of kicking myself for that at the moment...but the DP I was looking at was starting to delam in one area, and I've heard to stay away from those.
GearGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:54 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King View Post
Oops! Forgot the link to RV Survey.

RVSurvey RV Inspection
Ed Baugh with RV Survey is great! Mine was $500 though. Tens of pages of inspection data, with photos as well.
GearGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #11

As others have said PPL is basically just a consignment lot with lots of models to look at. That's the best part. You can just roam around on your own and nobody will bother you. That was my favorite part. As for everything else just treat your purchase as if your completely on your own to figure out if your making a wise purchase decision. They generally are priced very close to the real market value or sometimes slightly higher but negotiation is possible. Due to their high traffic the really good ones move pretty quick.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #12

All dealers are rip offs even consignment one like this one... You should buy from a private party. You will get a much better pice plus all the history of the coach.... Dealers hose you on both sides
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
All dealers are rip offs even consignment one like this one... You should buy from a private party. You will get a much better pice plus all the history of the coach.... Dealers hose you on both sides
Did you purchase through PPL or try to purchase?
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
Can't really disagree with this statement. That was my thinking as well last year when I bought my coach. I was not worried about getting hosed from PPL since I would leave NOTHING to the word of a dealer and check everything out myself (with professional help of course). I actually passed on a coach in Houston from an owner after having it checked out on my first attempt. Nothing major showed up in the inspection but I just did not have a good gut feel about it. My theory was if I could find a one owner coach and meet the owner and look at the coach service history and get a good vibe from the owner as how the coach was treated it made me feel better about the purchase. That is what I did. I flew all the way across the country to purchase the coach from the owner. He was a fantastic guy (retired highway patrolman) and he and his wife could not have been nicer. I drove away knowing I made a great decision but also full well anything can go wrong with these coaches at any time no matter how well they have been cared for. Sometimes luck has a lot to do with it but you do your best to pick from the best available and take your chances.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote