Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,067
I have been to PPL many times as I live in Houston. Great place to look at coaches to get an idea of what you like if your local. As far as anything else goes it's a total crap shoot. It's a busy place with lots of employees. Getting a straight answer just depends on who you ask. I ended up buying my MH from an individual who was the original owner. I just felt better knowing who owned the coach and getting a feel for the type of person they were. It was clean..kept in his RV garage attached to his house and he did an adequate job of servicing it. I felt I reduced the risk of purchasing this way. I did however fly across the country to check it out and drove it home so there was some risk there.
__________________

__________________
2002 Newmar Kountry Star 3669
Freightliner 300HP Cummins
Towing 2014 Honda CRV EX-L & 2010 Tundra W/Remco DD
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Crystal Beach, Texas
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moho_Driver View Post
Sounds like some mixed reviews of this place, like many others. I think if I use my common sense, ask lots of questions, and pay for a third party inspection I should be in OK shape. I'm not expecting to get a perfect rig, I mean, I'm buying used. There is hardly such thing as perfect in the world of used motorhomes. I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into and avoid dry rot, soft spots, and mechanical (engine/transmission/chassis) issues. The small stuff I can deal with.

I was interested in this unit 2001 Landau 3601 FS for Sale - D703 - PPL Motor Homes at the Houston location, but it sounds like it may not be as good of a deal as I thought. It books for much more than the what the sales price is, so its probably too good to be true.
I looked at that unit before I bought mine. Look at the passenger side window and behind it. Lots of water damage. Also in the bedroom has some damage from past water leak. Been on the lot for a long time.
__________________

__________________
2001 Itasca Suncruiser 37'
Texbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
89sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 879
This is exactly what I mean, in their description was there any mention of any water damage??? VERY GOOD rating??? With lots of water damage??? I'd hate to see what a fair rating one looks like...
__________________
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #18
Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
PPL, the problem child lot of the rv industry. There is a reason why most of their units are cheap. People take them there to sell because they are too embarrassed to sell them themselves!!! Many threads on here about how their most highly rated MH's are nothing most people would want. If you want to buy a crappy MH for cheap this is the place to go.
Problem child of the RV industry? Wow. PPL sells over 2200 RVs each year. I'm sure many dealers would love to have that problem. Many people (like me) used PPL to sell their RVs to avoid taking a hard hit while trading or to avoid the hassle of selling it themselves. Not only does the seller not have to deal with potential buyers but the buyer will not even see the name of the seller in a PPL transaction. The seller can drop of the RV at PPL and forget it. PPL sell over 90% of the RVs that sellers leave for consignment.

PPL does not make RVs, they simply sell consignment RVs. They don't set the price or determine the condition; the buyers do. As a result, they will have RVs that run the gambit on price and condition. And, having seen several RVs that were rated at very good or excellent, I thought the descriptions were fairly accurate. Not perfect but fair.

From my observations, the condition scale is from "good" to "like new" (with most being rated "very good"). "Excellent" ratings are rare and "like new" almost never happens. Therefore, I would not look at anything that wasn't at least "very good" unless I was was ready to do some work.

Their descriptions are far better than the sales talk that you get from most used RV dealers. Sales reps even sent me pictures of the problems that they noticed with the RV that I was interested in. How many used dealers or individuals will do that? That was one of the reason that I chose the my RV. it could be that I was just lucky. But considering the number of RVs that they have sold over the years, I doubt I am the only one who had a good experience with the "problem child of the RV industry."
__________________
2005 Monaco Cayman 34PBB
ImNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #19
Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
This is exactly what I mean, in their description was there any mention of any water damage??? VERY GOOD rating??? With lots of water damage??? I'd hate to see what a fair rating one looks like...
I'm curious. Having owned RVs, we all know that many owners do not perform the proper maintenance on their roofs and that failure can often lead to water damage. But how many times in a sales ad (privately or with a dealer) have you seen "this RV has water damage and I haven't fixed it yet." I looked at RVs ads from all over the country but I rarely (if ever) saw a water damage disclosure.

However, I was looking at an RV on PPL's lot and I asked the salesman to look at it for me. He brought back a long list of problems, including water damage, delamination, and a cracked windshield that made me cross off that RV quickly. After that, I felt much better working with that salesman.

You can't buy an RV from PPL or any place based on 15 pictures and a one paragraph description. You have to do your due diligence. If you don't, it's not the seller's or the dealer's fault for you purchasing the RV; it's yours.
__________________
2005 Monaco Cayman 34PBB
ImNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:18 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNuts View Post
Problem child of the RV industry? Wow. PPL sells over 2200 RVs each year. I'm sure many dealers would love to have that problem. Many people (like me) used PPL to sell their RVs to avoid taking a hard hit while trading or to avoid the hassle of selling it themselves. Not only does the seller not have to deal with potential buyers but the buyer will not even see the name of the seller in a PPL transaction. The seller can drop of the RV at PPL and forget it. PPL sell over 90% of the RVs that sellers leave for consignment.

PPL does not make RVs, they simply sell consignment RVs. They don't set the price or determine the condition; the buyers do. As a result, they will have RVs that run the gambit on price and condition. And, having seen several RVs that were rated at very good or excellent, I thought the descriptions were fairly accurate. Not perfect but fair.

From my observations, the condition scale is from "good" to "like new" (with most being rated "very good"). "Excellent" ratings are rare and "like new" almost never happens. Therefore, I would not look at anything that wasn't at least "very good" unless I was was ready to do some work.

Their descriptions are far better than the sales talk that you get from most used RV dealers. Sales reps even sent me pictures of the problems that they noticed with the RV that I was interested in. How many used dealers or individuals will do that? That was one of the reason that I chose the my RV. it could be that I was just lucky. But considering the number of RVs that they have sold over the years, I doubt I am the only one who had a good experience with the "problem child of the RV industry."
Agree.
__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
DGBPokes's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: May 2010
Location: McAlester Ok
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
PPL, the problem child lot of the rv industry. There is a reason why most of their units are cheap. People take them there to sell because they are too embarrassed to sell them themselves!!! Many threads on here about how their most highly rated MH's are nothing most people would want. If you want to buy a crappy MH for cheap this is the place to go.

Here I a shot of the" crappy" rig I bought at PPLClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1434685605.734202.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	97694

P.S. Michelin tires....less than 2 years old
Cummins 350 ISL ( serial number 2 months after the recall). Oil analysis " you got a good one ."
Tranny. Allison 3000. Oil analysis good
New carpet bedroom
New hardwood floor living area
New heat pump bedroom
No marks or bubbles on Diamond Shield
No de lamination or cracks on sides or paint
Only thing that failed we basement fidge.
Mileage. 43K

PPS. The older lady selling because her husbands health had failed
__________________
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,885
I'm sure you can get a deal at PPL, you'll just need to be careful and not trust the limited resolution photos on the internet... Do not buy sight unseen there, that's my advice.
__________________
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 196
I visited PPL on a recent trip to Houston. I only looked at class As.

My experience was there were a lot of run down coaches on the lot. One I couldn't stay in because the stench was sickening, one had a dozen bug bombs scattered about, but most were just well worn and outdated.

I'm sure they get some nice units, but they must go quickly. It is a low (no?) pressure environment and you are free to look at the coaches at your leisure.
__________________
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
plasma800's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,198
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
PPL, the problem child lot of the rv industry. There is a reason why most of their units are cheap. People take them there to sell because they are too embarrassed to sell them themselves!!! Many threads on here about how their most highly rated MH's are nothing most people would want. If you want to buy a crappy MH for cheap this is the place to go.
I don't think that's exactly fair... but close to some truths. I live in Houston, have visited PPL many times for kicks, and here's what I think,

I think PPL sells anything anyone brings to them. It's a consignment lot 100%.

Further, Houston is a MASSIVE place with large cities nearby. So for those with old, beat up coaches, it's a place that will take them.

There are good deals at PPL, the REALLY good ones get snapped up fast, and the REALLY bad ones linger, waiting for a fixer upper to come get them.

As long as you know this, then you will see PPL for exactly what it is. PPL also doesn't touch a unit on arrival, they park it and that's it.

You would be doing yourself a favor to see the unit prior to purchase. Photos are deceiving.

Nearby Bob Jones RV can inspect with fairness. PPL will allow it.
__________________
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
89sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 879
Any place that would advertise a Rv with extensive water damage in VERY GOOD condition would be a place to run away from. People look at the prices of the crap sold there and think your well maintained and cared for RV is only worth the same. PPL where mistreated and neglected rvs go to be sold. Don't get me wrong even the most dishonest dealers end up with a very nice rig for sale, but those are few and far inbetween.


Plasma800, your post is what I'm talking about. Most people don't know what PPL is about. They see the ratings and take them at face value, could you imagine spending your time and money to fly in and pick up a RV that was rated in very good condition to find it has extensive water damage and is something you wouldn't want if they were giving it to you...
__________________
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
plasma800's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,198
Blog Entries: 1
I think all he meant was that PPL is a lot that excepts coaches with problems.

I don't think he meant "ppl is the problem child"

I've been known to say many times that PPL is where old RV's go to die. But there really are some good deals there, but it's all about timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNuts View Post
Problem child of the RV industry? Wow. PPL sells over 2200 RVs each year. I'm sure many dealers would love to have that problem. Many people (like me) used PPL to sell their RVs to avoid taking a hard hit while trading or to avoid the hassle of selling it themselves. Not only does the seller not have to deal with potential buyers but the buyer will not even see the name of the seller in a PPL transaction. The seller can drop of the RV at PPL and forget it. PPL sell over 90% of the RVs that sellers leave for consignment.

PPL does not make RVs, they simply sell consignment RVs. They don't set the price or determine the condition; the buyers do. As a result, they will have RVs that run the gambit on price and condition. And, having seen several RVs that were rated at very good or excellent, I thought the descriptions were fairly accurate. Not perfect but fair.

From my observations, the condition scale is from "good" to "like new" (with most being rated "very good"). "Excellent" ratings are rare and "like new" almost never happens. Therefore, I would not look at anything that wasn't at least "very good" unless I was was ready to do some work.

Their descriptions are far better than the sales talk that you get from most used RV dealers. Sales reps even sent me pictures of the problems that they noticed with the RV that I was interested in. How many used dealers or individuals will do that? That was one of the reason that I chose the my RV. it could be that I was just lucky. But considering the number of RVs that they have sold over the years, I doubt I am the only one who had a good experience with the "problem child of the RV industry."
__________________
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,885
Completely agree with Plasma. PPL is just doing consignment. Their worst deal is that their advertised condition doesn't match reality. They actually have a condition decoder (that I can't find right now) which maps things like "very good" to "slightly above average".
__________________
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I don't think that's exactly fair... but close to some truths. I live in Houston, have visited PPL many times for kicks, and here's what I think,

I think PPL sells anything anyone brings to them. It's a consignment lot 100%.

Further, Houston is a MASSIVE place with large cities nearby. So for those with old, beat up coaches, it's a place that will take them.

There are good deals at PPL, the REALLY good ones get snapped up fast, and the REALLY bad ones linger, waiting for a fixer upper to come get them.

As long as you know this, then you will see PPL for exactly what it is. PPL also doesn't touch a unit on arrival, they park it and that's it.

You would be doing yourself a favor to see the unit prior to purchase. Photos are deceiving.

Nearby Bob Jones RV can inspect with fairness. PPL will allow it.
That sums it up perfectly. Make it a sticky
__________________

__________________
2002 Newmar Kountry Star 3669
Freightliner 300HP Cummins
Towing 2014 Honda CRV EX-L & 2010 Tundra W/Remco DD
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes, texas



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PPL motorhomes Terry W Class A Motorhome Discussions 12 02-28-2015 07:02 PM
If you were looking for a used motorhome at PPL Texas??? twogypsies Class A Motorhome Discussions 17 09-13-2014 02:53 AM
Thor Motor Coach’s Motorhomes a Hit at 2014 RV Shows DriVer RV Industry Press 0 02-18-2014 08:31 AM
Class C Diesel Motorhomes, New 35SK Super C RV Unveiled by Thor Motor Coach DriVer RV Industry Press 1 09-05-2013 01:20 PM
National Rally Attendees 2000-2010 Madame Boomer Rally Master's Forum 0 08-13-2010 06:41 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.