RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
PPL RV Parts Sale on A/C Units

I'm looking to buy the Dometic (Duo-Therm) 15k A/C units that PPL has on sale for $549.98 plus Free Shipping to replace my original Duo-Therm 13.5k Heat Pump units in my 40' 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador. I know it will require the new CCC II thermostat. This is why I'm just going to go ahead and replace both units together so I can keep them both on one thermostat and the installation will look factory original for the most part.

My question is............they offer an optional electric heat kit for this unit for about $50. Will I be able to use the CCC II thermostat to operate the electric heat? Will the heat pump mode control it? I also have a propane furnace so the furnace mode will be used for that. This unit is at least $300 cheaper than a heat pump and has free shipping where the heat pump does not. I'm OK with the electric heat vs the heat pump. Matter of a fact I think it probably works better. I'm just wondering how to wire it up.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/..._review_header

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...rs_3315450.000

Thanks in advance!

EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #2

My local RV shop (not a dealer) replaced my heat pumps, installed for less than I could by the units. You might do better through a small RV shop. I have bought from PPL when they have the best price. I bought my Bounder through PPL and they sold my TT for almost what I paid for it.
As to the electric heat kit. I have never had one and when my local RV shop changed out my heat pumps I asked about them, they did not recommend them.

redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #3

I called PPL. I was caller #17 in the que. 30 minutes later I get the gal on the phone and she couldn't answer my question. Gave me the 1-800 number for Dometic Technical Support. I called them. I was caller #22 in the que. So about a half hour later I was next in line when I hear this beep in my ear and I was cut off!!!

I went ahead and ordered the Brisk Air II A/C units. The sale ended tomorrow and I'm leaving for Cancun so I needed to get it done. I went ahead and ordered 2 of the optional electric heater units that fit up in the ceiling assembly. I have no idea if the CCC II thermostat will turn them on or not. If I can't make it work I'll send them back.

But if any of you Electricians out there want to shed some light on this I'd sure be appreciative of any wisdom you care to impart.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #4

My daughter has a DuoTherm with the electric heat. IMO< no where near what a heat pump does. They just have a small pull-behind camper, so it works well enough for them, but based on what I've seen, I wouldn't mess with the electric heat option.

BUT, since it appears you ordered already, I sure hope yours works better than theirs does. It's been a few years, so maybe they make them better now.
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The $50 heat kit is a small heat strip that installs inside the bottom new AC unit (it will come with directions).
When you first connect the CCC II thermostat you need to cycle the power so it senses the type systems it's connected to and your heat pump option will no longer be available. You will have a Heat Strip and Furnace option for heat. The heat strip is marginal, but works for chilly fall or spring days.

Make sure you get two new gaskets that go between the A/C and the roof.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
The $50 heat kit is a small heat strip that installs inside the bottom new AC unit (it will come with directions).
When you first connect the CCC II thermostat you need to cycle the power so it senses the type systems it's connected to and your heat pump option will no longer be available. You will have a Heat Strip and Furnace option for heat. The heat strip is marginal, but works for chilly fall or spring days.

Make sure you get two new gaskets that go between the A/C and the roof.
Thanks Vito! I really appreciate the answer. You don't think the new A/C units will come with a new gasket in the box? The PPL website had LOTS of additional items and accessories trying to upsell you but I didn't see any mention of roof gaskets.

Anybody else bought a new A/C unit recently know if you gewt a new roof gasket with the unit? Gosh for almost $1000 regular price you'd think you'd get a new gasket!!!
Old 07-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
My daughter has a DuoTherm with the electric heat. IMO< no where near what a heat pump does. They just have a small pull-behind camper, so it works well enough for them, but based on what I've seen, I wouldn't mess with the electric heat option.

BUT, since it appears you ordered already, I sure hope yours works better than theirs does. It's been a few years, so maybe they make them better now.
Thanks for the response Brother. I think we'll be OK with the electric heat strip vs. the heat pump. My wife and I both like the room to be cool when sleeping so it's not necessary for it to heat the coach to 70 degrees for us. If we decide to go camping in the Winter time we always have the propane furnace that gets the RV PLENTY hot!
Old 07-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #8

Replacing AC

Our dealer sold us his floor model AC unit. It came with the heat strip. We tried it and didn't feel it was very good at taking the morning chill off. Cooking on the propane burners and using the oven produced more heat. We always have our vent open.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
Our dealer sold us his floor model AC unit. It came with the heat strip. We tried it and didn't feel it was very good at taking the morning chill off. Cooking on the propane burners and using the oven produced more heat. We always have our vent open.
I told my wife if it got cold we would just turn the furnace on! I mean why not? I just didn't want to buy A/C only units in case the propane ran out and we couldn't turn on the furnace. This way we will have a heat source so we don't freeze.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #10

If you are replacing an analog Duo Therm with the digital Brisk II you will have to run a 12v dedicated power source to the ceiling unit. Not an easy job. A close reading of the descriptions of the Brisk Installation say it is intended for an oem application and after removing the ceiling and adding a new circuit I can see why.

hawk57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, sale