Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 01:28 AM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our DSDP is 11 years and 12 model years old now. Have yet to even replace a hinge screw inside, unlike our '98 Santara that we had to replace screws almost every trip out even when brand new.
The difference was the quality of the materials. The Santara used pressed cardboard wrapped in a plastic covering. The Dutch Star uses real hardwood, even the drain hose for the sink in the slideout is a machined brass fitting so no leaks there.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Go to one of those Antique Auto Museums and look at how old those cars are and in what good shape they are in.
If you do and you see a Model A with shiny black paint it's not original as they were originally painted by hand with a brush.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #17

Great response on this. Thanks to all who took time.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #18

my wife and I had a 93 cobra cordoba. No slides but we lived in it for a year while we built our second house. We sold it this year with 30k on it. I would not say it was in excellent shape but good shape overall. Needed some very minor things and the interior was out dated but clean. I can see that motorhome going even longer without any issues. Everything worked in it including the dash A/C.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #19

Lifetime expectancy and gas consumption.

Hi every one,

I own a class A southwind with a Triton V10 gas engine.At 12 years of age it is in tip top shape I guess that with good maintenance it'll go a long way.

I have a question for those of who made a trip to Vancouver Canada.

Can some one tell me aproximately how much it would cost me in gas for a trip from Vancouver Canada to Anaheim California taking the I5 then Anaheim to Las Vegas taking the main highway then Vegas back to Vancouver by the I5 again.

I was told to expect about 7 miles to the gallon, as any one done this trip or part of it.

This is our first trip out since we bought the unit last year for your info it is a 2000 Fleetwood Southwind in very good condition.

Thanks

RV John
Old 06-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #20

Our 95 class A Europa is doing fine. Solid built... Coming up on 94,000 miles with a 350 Chevy. Sure, proper maintance (sp?) is the key to anything... I've done many things as far as part replacement, (chassis), wouldn't hesitate to go across country (again) today... Been through west wind/dust storms, 50+mph winds, freezing rain/ice storm, etc....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ours is a 15 year old Winn Chieftain. Only problem with older units - is obtaining parts when you need them. Some of the time the parts needed are no longer available and you'll need updated parts and that cost a little more.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=RV JOHN;1612764]Hi every one,

I own a class A southwind with a Triton V10 gas engine.At 12 years of age it is in tip top shape I guess that with good maintenance it'll go a long way.

I have a question for those of who made a trip to Vancouver Canada.

Can some one tell me aproximately how much it would cost me in gas for a trip from Vancouver Canada to Anaheim California taking the I5 then Anaheim to Las Vegas taking the main highway then Vegas back to Vancouver by the I5 again.

I was told to expect about 7 miles to the gallon, as any one done this trip or part of it.

This is our first trip out since we bought the unit last year for your info it is a 2000 Fleetwood Southwind in very good condition.

Thanks

RV John

I have been there and back many times. 7 mpg is a good number to compute mileage if that has been your experience so far. From Redding to Anaheim it is pretty much down hill until the Grapevine so you get good mileage (towing speed in California is 55 mph). The Grapevine outside of LA is a long steep grade both sides. In order to avoid that you can head over to 101 at Santa Nella Villages on Hwy 152 or Hwy 41 at Kettleman City. I prefer getting on Hwy 101 but have done it both ways many times. Gas in Washington and California is some of the most expensive in the country so you will find it along the I-5 corridor priced anywhere from 3.65 to 4.00 so plan accordingly. For planning purposes I guess I would plan to pay 3.80 average realizing that is a bit high but better to over estimate cost.

Places we have stayed that are nice: Premier RV in Coburg Or and Redding CA, 49er Village outside Sacramento, Wine Country RV in Paso Robles, Flying Flags in Buellton, Oasis in Las Vegas. Santa Nella has a place good for one night and Valencia Travel Village in Valencia just over the Grapevine is accommodating.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Mine's a Class C, not a Class A, but I've heard (don't know if it's true) that Class A's last longer than Class C's and mine is 38 years old and still going fine. I think as long as it's maintained, there's no reason yours couldn't last as long. It's like a car, you take car of it and they'll run 50, 60, 70 years - fall behind on upkeep and it'll be lucky to last a year. RVs are no different. It's all in how you maintain it.

I think however, practical-wise it may be easier to upkeep a Class C, due to it being a van, and van parts are easier to find than Class A parts. For example, mine is built on the body of a 1975 Dodge F40 and since many businesses/companies still use this model for their fleets, (including big companies like U-Haul) it is therefor easy for me to get parts for it. And you did ask about how practical it was to have an older Class A. When you look at the model, look around at parts supplies and find out how hard it is to buy parts for that particular year and model, than ask yourself how hard will it to be to get these same parts 10 years from now. Also, try to find out from others who own this model/year, how often theirs breaks down and what specifically breaks down most often. Usually you'll notice certain years or certain models will have the same issues over and over again. Knowing what is likely to need replacing down the line, will effect your decision to buy that year/model as well.

I think newer Class A's parts are more expensive, but generally not needed as often, whereas older Class A's parts are cheaper, but much harder to find (near impossible if you have an orphaned model), and are going to need more repairs more often than a newer one. So while newer models would need more cost for a one time repair, an older model could cost more in the long run because it'll nickle and dime you.

I suppose what it comes down to, is what exactly is it you consider to be more practical for you in your own situation. For me, older was better because it was a model I can still get parts for even after 40 years and will likely have no trouble getting parts for in another 40 years, given the reputation of the company (Dodge), and by keeping her tuned up every few weeks/months, I can catch trouble before it becomes a major issue, and me being an antique car collector, and spending most of my year at car shows (showing my cars), it is more logical for me to keep my whole fleet (even my MoHo) show quality (thus an antique MoHo is better for me in my situation). But thing is, I'm also somebody who likes tinkering on old cars, and both my dad and my boyfriend are professional auto mechanics restorators so, I have access to all the tools, etc needed to keep it running.

I initially went into this looking for a Class A. I was planning on a 1980s Georgie Boy, and I still think I'll get one later on, but the more research I did, the more practical it was for me to get a van body MoHo (Class C) simply because working on it was going to be easier for me in the long run, based on the type of tools I already had available, etc.

So, that is something you have to consider as well: how mechanically inclined are you and do you have the tools to fix it yourself or will you have to outsource to others when repairs are needed. Every person is going to be different in this, so you have to decide what specifically is best for you and your personal RVing lifestyle.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #24

Our rig has just passed the 10 year mark. We're into our third season with it. It had 12,000 miles on the clock when we got it (now approaching 17,000) and the generator had 48 hours on it (now around 54). I do most of the maintenance myself, but some things are paid done - like the new fridge we just has installed.

The layout works well for us - a bedroom slide gives us a walk-round (well, shuffle round!) residential-sized queen bed and the living room/dinette slide makes that area quite spacious. I would expect it to last at least another 10 years, but doubt we'll keep it much longer.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a rig with no slides, or with a carburator-equipped engine, but anything 2000 model year or newer should be fine.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Our DP is 13 yrs old and we have updated much of the interior including all the electronics and furniture because we expect to use it for a good many more years. We view it like we would a house, if we want to redecorate or remodel we do. Some people seem to think there's something special about keeping a MH looking like it did when new; we don't subscribe to that philosophy. If modernizing makes us happy or improves our quality of life we do it.
In most cases the value of the stick house appreciates while the value of the motorhome decreases. Remodeling a stick house while not only providing comfort to the owner also increases it's value at resale time. The only time remodeling a motorhome would be cost effective is if you intend to keep it it's entire useful life. Even then you have to be careful how much money you pour into it. At some point the money is going to be better invseted in a new or newer unit.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #26

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
In most cases the value of the stick house appreciates while the value of the motorhome decreases. Remodeling a stick house while not only providing comfort to the owner also increases it's value at resale time. The only time remodeling a motorhome would be cost effective is if you intend to keep it it's entire useful life. Even then you have to be careful how much money you pour into it. At some point the money is going to be better invseted in a new or newer unit.
Our MH had an MSRP of ~$350k in 2000; we didn't pay anything like that for it. On an inflation-adjusted basis that means we would have to look at new MH's in the ~$450-500k range to get something of comparable quality (assuming we could actually find a MH with real walnut cabinetry ). We don't have that kind of money and there aren't that many folks these days selling stuff in that price range.

The money we've invested in remodeling is a small fraction of the cost of buying a new luxury MH and our CAT C-12/Allison 4060 power train is more powerful and more rugged than almost anything being installed today and at 80,000 miles it should last for many more years as long as it is properly maintained.

As for stick houses, the philosophy that they will appreciate with time was severely challenged by the recent recession. Many homeowners who did nothing wrong are substantially underwater below their purchase costs. I don't want to turn this into a political thread, but it is no longer a certainty that an investment in a home will provide much, if any, nest-egg for the future.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #27

I agree, I've been offered enough money for our motorhome that it would cover our initial investment plus reno costs. However my house remains $10k under water even after our lender did a principal modification two years ago.