Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If he want to run refer the dogbone will do it,i've plugged my 50 into a 30 into a 15 when nothing else was available.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
If you go to the local hardware store or building supply electrical section you can purchase a plug in that has 2 15 amp male plugs on one side and a Female 30 amp on the other side. When you plug in outside the house or in the garage it will provide the 30amps you're looking for. Ron
Not being well versed in electricity I have a question. How does this provide 30 amps unless each of the 15 amp plugs is on a separate breaker?

Tom

P.S. I found this article:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/22879124.cfm

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #17

The dogbone will work if the recepticals are not GFI.If GFI it will see a difference in the neutral and trip.They are designed to mearure the power going in on one side and returning on the other. If you are plugged into two different outlets there will be a difference on the neutral and will trip.My converter started tripping the GFI. When I called the company I was told it is designed with a small leak to ground and it might have gotten larger.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #18

So using two independant 15 amp circuits won't work per the rv.net article and what bldrbob has stated. So we are back to using a single 15 amp recepticle on a 15 amp circuit breaker. You plug a 15 to 30 amp dogbone adapter (regardless of the number of 15 amp male plugs) into a non gfci socket and then plug in your RV. I predict that all will work properly until you exceed 15 amps (+/-) when the circuit breaker will do it's job and cut you off. You're not going to get 30 amps past a 15 amp breaker. True?
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
If you go to the local hardware store or building supply electrical section you can purchase a plug in that has 2 15 amp male plugs on one side and a Female 30 amp on the other side. When you plug in outside the house or in the garage it will provide the 30amps you're looking for. Your garage outlet should be GFCI if it's not then purchase one at the same time Turn off the breaker to that outlet box replace the non GFCI with the GFCI and then turn the breaker back on.
Ron
30Amps, if and only if, each of the 15 Amp male plugs go to different outlets on different circuit breakers in your panel. Otherwise, limited to the 15 or 20 Amp breaker they both are tied to. Never saw this item at Lowes or HD, and I almost live there....

safe travels
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Camco makes a 30 amp plus 15 amp adapter to a 50 amp female plug for 45 amps at a RV park that only has 30 amp outlets. Amazon.com: Camco 55025 RV Power Grip Maximizer 45 Amp Adapter: Automotive You can put a 30 to 15 amp adapter on the 30 amp plug so you have two 15 amp plugs and plug it into two different outlets. What it gives you is two legs of 15 amp each. DO NOT RE-COMBINE IT BACK WITH A 30 AMP ADAPTER because then you can have a problem if you have two different phases. It will pop a breaker right away. It works well
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #21

Appalachian Campers
So we all agree that he can plug into 15 amps to chill the fridge and other low load tasks without any further (Horse beating.) discussion of 15s adapted into 50 amp, right?
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #22
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
So we all agree that he can plug into 15 amps to chill the fridge and other low load tasks without any further (Horse beating.) discussion of 15s adapted into 50 amp, right?
Yes
Old 02-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
sknight. Somewhere, sometime, that horse will rise from the dead.

It's a miracle I tell ya !

Kerry
Old 02-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
Yes
Old 02-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #25

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan View Post
30Amps, if and only if, each of the 15 Amp male plugs go to different outlets on different circuit breakers in your panel. Otherwise, limited to the 15 or 20 Amp breaker they both are tied to. Never saw this item at Lowes or HD, and I almost live there....

safe travels
My exterior and garage outlets are wired with 20 amp circuits top and bottom. Total each duplex outlet is 40 amps and when we redid our kitchen the electrician did the same so we could run more appliances without popping a breaker. I assumed(my fault ) that all garages were set up that way. Talked to my electrician this morning and he stated most houses have 15 or 20 amps and the duplex shares the same breaker along with other outlets in the garage and house. He wired ours so I could use shop tools at same time without problems

Thanks
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #26
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The case of Bud does work, but a cheaper solution is ice.

Either use the stick house ice maker if you have one, or buy a bag of ice for a buck seventy five. Put it in some tight zip lock bags. Place a couple bags (or one each) in the freezer compartments and the refrigerator compartment. Turn the refrigerator on a couple hours, and pack it with what you are going to take with you. The bags if ice will help keeping items cool and the refrigerator seems to cool down quicker.

Works for us.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #27

If all you want to run is the fridge (altough the converter will run also) just run a heavy duty cord with an adapter down to 15 amp household plug and plug it in. I've been plugging in my MHs that way since 1988 .