Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

Pre Heat switch while Camping

When dry camping does the preheat switch control the hot water and Heat?
I have a 1999 Beaver Patriot with a hurricane hydronic heater.
Everything works fine when plugged into electricity or using the generator I was just wondering for times when your dry camping and have to shut the generator off at 10 or 11 at night.
If somebody could enlighten me on the steps to take to do this I would appreciate it .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #2

Don't know if you have a DP but on mine preheat if for the engine. I believe that when dry camping I would not use it because it uses a lot of watts

Old 09-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #3

I use those my buddy propane heaters, just wondered if this would be a good back up? And yes its a DP.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWwilly View Post
When dry camping does the preheat switch control the hot water and Heat?
I have a 1999 Beaver Patriot with a hurricane hydronic heater.
Everything works fine when plugged into electricity or using the generator I was just wondering for times when your dry camping and have to shut the generator off at 10 or 11 at night.
If somebody could enlighten me on the steps to take to do this I would appreciate it .
The way yours most likely works is your hydronic heater has the preheat function. When the boiler fluid is hot either by your electric element or by using diesel turning on the preheat switch will run a small pump and circulate engine coolant/antifreeze through the hydronic heater and warm the engine on cold mornings.

FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #5

So to use the continuous hot water if I needed to fill up a tub or something would I leave the engine running and the preheat switch on if I don't have electric?
Old 10-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
So to use the continuous hot water if I needed to fill up a tub or something would I leave the engine running and the preheat switch on if I don't have electric?
No, you should have a switch labeled diesel burner (or something like that) to give you continuous hot water while not hooked up to shore power.

FMCA F443497
Old 10-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
No, you should have a switch labeled diesel burner (or something like that) to give you continuous hot water while not hooked up to shore power.
I do not have a switch label diesel burn or anything close.
In the manual for the hurricane heater all it keeps referring to is the preheat switch so I was assuming with the engine running and using the preheat switch it would keep the continuous hot water flowing as long as I needed.
I was assuming the engine would keep the water hot enough during that time with the preheat switch on.
Am I assuming wrong?
Old 10-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I do not have a switch label diesel burn or anything close.
In the manual for the hurricane heater all it keeps referring to is the preheat switch so I was assuming with the engine running and using the preheat switch it would keep the continuous hot water flowing as long as I needed.
I was assuming the engine would keep the water hot enough during that time with the preheat switch on.
Am I assuming wrong?
By engine are you referring to the engine that drives the motorhome?

FMCA F443497
Old 10-04-2017, 02:13 AM   #9

Yes
Old 10-04-2017, 04:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Yes

Try here:

Hurricane heating systems – Itrheat
Old 10-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Yes
While not on shore power you should not have to run the engine to get hot water. There should be a switch on the control panel for the hydronic heater somewhere to accomplish this. The hydronic heater has its own diesel burner in it to heat the water.

FMCA F443497
Old 10-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
There are no absolutes when it comes to DPs. Options, options and more options. Water boilers on some higher end coach's some not. Some with motor heat to the water heater so heated water when you arrive(even just the furnace, hot water tank systems can have this). Some preheat is electric(as in 120 volt only) Gen or shore power. Some with the boiler system have electric preheat, some boiler preheat option. One can get general info here, but your coach's manual is the bible and sometimes it is general not your coach's options. About the only thing one can say is if you get a light on the preheat the Motor will be warming. In general to about 40 most don't need preheat to start, the grid heater will take care of warmed air for the start and yes a while back there were and still are glow plugs for the Gen and older start motors. Now to the OP there should be two switches for the boiler, electric and diesel, electric when powered and diesel when not or both when needing lots of hot water, shower or tub. Then the preheat to warm the coach motor for a cold morning start and this maybe in the driver's seat area. The preheat switch also takes a couple hours to heat that big diesel for start.

LEN
Old 10-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
The hydronic heater should run on 12 volts when off the grid, at least that's how mine worked (I replaced it with an Oasis a few years ago).

Be aware that when the voltage dips as the battery discharges, the heater will send a low voltage error code and stop working.

2003 Ultimate Freedom
2000 Jeep Wrangler
Old 10-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The hydronic heater should run on 12 volts when off the grid, at least that's how mine worked (I replaced it with an Oasis a few years ago)
I'm pretty sure the 12v was for the circulation pump and heating zone fans, not for the actual water heating. The heater in the system would be either a diesel burner or 120v electric, with the alternate of using waste engine heat when the coach engine is running. A 12v powered water heater or hydronic furnace would last about 5-10 minutes before the battery bank was exhausted.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, heat, switch