Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Pre-purchase inspection, used from private seller

I am in the market for my first rv. After several months of general research I have found 2 I am interested in. The first is a 1999 Pace Arrow Wide Body 35J w/Banks. The second is a 2000 Winnebago Brave 35' with 1 slide. Both are under my 20k budget and have about 50k miles. Any opinions on either would be welcome .
My next concern is to how to go about getting it checked out. Is it a reasonable expectation to have the seller pay for it? How should I find a good person to do the inspection? Should I be present for it?
Thanks in advance for any comments!

heresoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
We are shopping for a MH too. I've checked with a local RV repair shop that I've done business with in the past about having them do an inspection when we get to that point. They told me that they would be able to check out the RV systems for about 3 hours of shop time. They do not do any chassis work so I'll have to have someone else do that. I don't mind paying for it, that way there will be no question as to who the real customer is.

Dave and Cindy
2007 Allegro Bus 40' QSP FL
2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
turn1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
iRV2 No Limits Club
Usually the buyer pays for it, but then don't give it to to seller as they may use it to sell the unit later if you back out. I'm not sure I'd accept one the seller had done.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #4
There are any number of mobile RV repair services out there that should be able to help you. I have also used an apprasial service to do inspections on coaches, just make sure they have someone that knows RV's, both should give you a detailed report for around $400.00. But before you buy do the test drive, and attempt to run everything in the coach yourself. Also keep in mind you are looking at 11-12 year old used motorhomes that are selling for 75% or less than new, so allow some dollars for repairs. There a lot of good well maintained older coaches out there so keep looking till you find the right one. Good luck
Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sure the responsibility for having it gone over would fall in your lap especially if you want to feel comfortable about an inspection. As mentioned before the rig is 12 years old and there might be something that is working right now but that doesn't mean that that something will be working tomorrow. Always leave yourself some room for any future repairs. For instance on our last moho we had a 94 Bounder that we purchased from the original owner. It was pristine but at the time it was 10 years old. We had it home getting it ready for the trip. Everything was going fine, all systems a go then the wife went to put a few more things in the fridge opened the door and was almost knocked over from an amonia smell. Well long story short and thankfully someone had the same size fridge to go back in but a $1300 repair before we even left the curb. Don't mean to scare you but these are things that can happen. We wish you all the luck in finding the rig of your choice and want you to have many happy miles with it. Take your time there are alot of units for sale. Good Luck and Happy Motoring!
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Here is a good checklist.

2008 Monaco Camelot 42 DSQ
Irondale, Alabama
38 Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
When buying S&B, generally the buyer pays for the inspections, and the seller either fixes whatever is wrong or takes it off of the price. I would imagine that a similar arrangement would work for an RV.

David, kb0zke
Mercury Mountaineer towing mpg 181(both sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote