Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #1

Pre travel Check list

Just wondering if you all could share any pre travel checklist, such as slides in, levelers up , shore power disconnected, ect.

vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Good question and something to consider. I sat down in my brand new coach, started the engine, then decided to try out the check list built in on the dash. As I cycled through each item and verbally called each out, it was surprising how many things I did not do. The worst were the electric and water still connected. I had gone out before starting the engine and dealt with the sewer connections, which proved difficult since it was the first time doing this, and stupidly missed the electric, antenna and water. A disaster was diverted and we got a good laugh.

Lesson - use a written checklist. A good way to do this is to do your walk around verbally calling out each item as it is done. Then, after sitting in the drivers seat take the written check list and call out each item. When you speak an item not done it will be obvious it was missed.

jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #3

Built in dash?

What do you mean built in dash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
Good question and something to consider. I sat down in my brand new coach, started the engine, then decided to try out the check list built in on the dash. As I cycled through each item and verbally called each out, it was surprising how many things I did not do. The worst were the electric and water still connected. I had gone out before starting the engine and dealt with the sewer connections, which proved difficult since it was the first time doing this, and stupidly missed the electric, antenna and water. A disaster was diverted and we got a good laugh.

Lesson - use a written checklist. A good way to do this is to do your walk around verbally calling out each item as it is done. Then, after sitting in the drivers seat take the written check list and call out each item. When you speak an item not done it will be obvious it was missed.
vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfauto View Post
What do you mean built in dash?
My coach has a Freightliner chassis which came with a checklist built right into the instrument panel. This surprised me since I have never seen one before. The checklist was preprogrammed, I guess by Thor, to include the most significant items. I was able to add an additional item of "lock refrigerator door". When not using the checklist this same display shows, trip info like mpg, distance, etc. As you toggle through each item on the checklist you can "check" it or "skip". Then you can go back to check the skipped items. Just as good would be a checklist you develop yourself on a sheet of paper.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post

I agree with Mike. Use your checklist as a CHECK list not as a DO list. Perform all your pre-departure actions (using a list if you need to) but then go through your checklist afterward to insure than each item was accomplished. If you use it as a do-list and somehow something gets omitted or unfinished, you may not catch it until too late.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't forget the wife!

I think the BIGGEST things to remind yourself about...

Is the fridge latched, is the key in the towed car and the steering unlocked.

We've developed a system of keeping these type of checklist items on the steering wheel each time we park.

And always do an extra walk around, even though you're sure you've already done it. Check all the doors, ride height, power cords, stuff laying around, check the car again. It might be a pain in the rain, but just do it anyway
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfauto View Post
Just wondering if you all could share any pre travel checklist, such as slides in, levelers up , shore power disconnected, ect.
Hi Frank,

Great question. When you first start RVing and things are new the checklist is a very valuable tool. Over time it becomes more of a good reminder check.

Before you close up it is a good thing to get on the roof with a broom if you are under or near enough to trees to get stuff on the roof and toppers. Much damage to the toppers can be avoided by sweeping them off before closing.

Tipping the coach before closing will help to dump most of the standing water off.

Make CERTAIN that your tires are correctly charged. NEVER put air in the tires with the sun shining on them. I try to charge mine early in the morning when the tires are stable.

Stuff the cupboards with towels and pillows to keep your "stuff" from roaming as you travel. Make certain the refrigerator doors are secure and all of the drawers and cupboard doors are latched. Is everything secure that could "fly" when cornering or stopping? (We forgot to secure the frig door when we first got this coach. Emptied it on the floor when we hit a bad bump.)

When stowing the hoses and power cord, make certain the little trap doors are closed.

When you think you are ready to roll walk the outside. Visually inspect everything. Are the basement doors locked? Is the towed ready? Are the lights working correctly? Are the antennas down? Are the awnings in?

If you forget anything you will soon know when you hit the road. Time and observation are your best allies.

Happy trails and many of them.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
OK Frank, you asked for it!

ARRIVAL
INSIDE CHECKLIST
  • Turn off inverter after shore power is connected
Check refrigerator for AC operation
  • Turn on air conditioners if needed
Hang clock
  • Table lamp
Release sliding door latches
  • Release closet door latches
Release shower door catch
  • Plug in mattress pad heaters (AFTER inverter is turned off!)
Raise TV
  • Turn off tire pressure monitor
Purge air from water lines
  • Turn on water heater (AFTER shore power is connected and lines purged)
. Put down rugs in bedroom, kitchen, and LR (after slides are out)

ARRIVAL

OUTSIDE CHECKLIST
  • Park and turn off engine
Connect shore power
  • Check slideout awning billow locks
Put on tire covers
  • Unlock storage bay doors
Extend main awning
  • Extend slides
Dump air
  • Level coach
Put down outside mat
  • Connect freshwater hose to spigot, flush, connect to MH
Connect sewer hose
  • Connect black tank flush hose
Connect TV cable (if needed)
  • Activate satellite dome OR install portable dish
Install sign and light
  • Install outside lights
Clean bugs off front of coach

DEPARTURE INSIDE CHECKLIST
  • Turn on tire pressure monitor
Unplug mattress pad heaters
  • Turn off water heater
Roll up rugs in bedroom, kitchen, and LR
  • Store table lamp
Store clock
  • Put recliners in position for slide to retract
Lock down sliding doors
  • Put shower hose in clip and latch shower door
Close and latch closet doors
  • Latch pantry slide
Lower TV
  • Push table in
Turn off air conditioners and furnace
  • Check refrigerator for AC operation AFTER shore power is unplugged

DEPARTURE OUTSIDE CHECKLIST
  • Dump & flush black tank
Dump gray tank
  • Put water & chemical in black tank
Wash out sewer hose and store
  • Store sign & light
Store tire covers
  • Store outside lights
Store satellite dish
  • Store TV cable
Turn off satellite dome
  • Pick up trash on site
Clean windshield
  • Fill freshwater tank
Disconnect and store freshwater hose and “Y” fitting
  • Remove & store slideout awning supports
Start engine, let air pressure build up, and set air bags to “Travel”
mode

• Check tire pressures
Turn off engine
  • Retract slides, THEN main awning
Turn on inverter
  • Disconnect shore power
Hook up toad
  • Do transmission procedure on toad
Lock storage bay doors
  • Store outside mat
Check lights on toad

As you can see, the lists did not copy right, but you can figure it out!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #9

I made my own checklist and laminated it then attached it my dash with Velcro. I use a grease pencil to mark the items off as I do them or have the DW mark them.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nice list, Joe and Annette! Thanks!
Old 12-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hey - I just found this site, check out all the lists!

Need An RV Checklist?... Here Are All The Best Checklists For RVers | The Fun Times Guide to RVing
Old 12-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Don't forget the wife!

I think the BIGGEST things to remind yourself about...

Is the fridge latched, is the key in the towed car and the steering unlocked.

We've developed a system of keeping these type of checklist items on the steering wheel each time we park.

And always do an extra walk around, even though you're sure you've already done it. Check all the doors, ride height, power cords, stuff laying around, check the car again. It might be a pain in the rain, but just do it anyway

Don't have a wife, my fridge stays shut, doesn't need a "latch", doesn't even have one-it's never come open, and the steering wheel in my toad stays unlocked with the key out of the ignition....So everyone's situation is different!

Find what works for you!

Cheers!
Old 12-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile

Nice list from Joe and Annette.
My wife and I use a similar one every time we set up or depart. Just when we think we're getting too good for the list we catch something that we would otherwise have missed (lawn chair leaning against the picnic table).
We also use inexpensive 2 way radios when entering our site and when leaving for light checks and to be sure there are no other surprises. It may seem like overkill but it works and - so far - no problems.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently found a great smartphone app called RV Checklist.

It has 3 separate checklists, Departure, Arrival, and Camping Preparation. You can check off items and close out of the app as you go, and it keeps track, and you can customize, add or delete items.

Tags
travel