Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #1

Preferred fueling locations? gassers only...

Curious for where fellow class A gassers prefer to fuel up while traveling.

I almost always aim for Flying J's, because besides being competitive on fuel prices, they almost always have RV lanes. Granted, some of their RV lanes aren't perfect, but they seem to a good bit better than trying navigate gas stations designed for autos. This is especially true when towing a vehicle behind our class A, which is most of the time.

Does anyone know of another chain that offers RV lanes? TA's seem to often have gas lanes oriented perpendicular to the store, making it a challenge to navigate. Loves Travel Centers are sometimes roomy, other times not. Sam's Club is often an option. Do any of the big chains offer gas islands on the truck side of the fueling center (where most islands are diesel?).

Thx for your thoughts.

-Mike

It would be nice to know of another fueling location besides Flying J that consistently offers roomy islands for gas A coaches pulling a car.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We use P/FJ exclusively while traveling. I use their app to put my route in, which gives all locations, prices, amenities and services at each. Then we plan our stops accordingly.

We originally used Loves, TA or whatever came along as we went. Then we joined P/FJs RV Plus program and enjoy the fuel discount as well as knowing exactly what we have at each stop.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #3

Your MH and mine are the same length. My toad is a Wrangler.
I get my fuel where it is cheapest, at a major brand station, and almost always beat P/FJ and T/A pricing by enough to not need their discount.
I plan my entrance and exit a few seconds before I pull in.
Easy-peasy!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of the big truck companies (Flying-J/Pilot, T/A, Loves and so on) have good size AUTOMOTIVE islands as well, Just pick an OUTSIDE pump please. (Easier in/out)

Wal-Mart, (Murphy USA) go into the store and fill up a gift card, Stick the card in the pump.. Save money.

Many Grocery Stores and/or super stores (Ingalls, Kroger, and more)

Even brand name (Shell, Speedway, Marathon, Et-al) have islands where you can get in and out easily but it's easier if you have looked'em over first.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I watch for most any gas station that has good price and good enough in/out access to an outside/end pump. Coach is physically 38' long and nearly always dragging along the Jeep.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have a 37' motorhome. DH is pretty good at getting in and out of alot of stations. Sheetz in our area is doable on the outside pump. Usually lowest price and we have a loyalty card for 3 cents off a gallon. Flying J's are a good option for us too. Some of the Pilot stations we have tried have been very tight and we had to find other options. We use the Next Exit to plan our gas stops, as well as Gas Buddy and Around Me aps on my phone to scout out good prices. We check out entrance and exit options before pulling in.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I fuel by price. I'm 38'11" long and have only encountered a handful of stations I would not attempt.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I try and always use BP or shell, I really like there products and the MH runs smoother than say SA or Holiday. I remember when I drove over the road we went by how good the food was and that's where we got fuel unless we were over weight then we just ate!!!!
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #9

Please explain how the gift card saves money. I was not aware of this option. Thanks!
===============

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Most of the big truck companies (Flying-J/Pilot, T/A, Loves and so on) have good size AUTOMOTIVE islands as well, Just pick an OUTSIDE pump please. (Easier in/out)

Wal-Mart, (Murphy USA) go into the store and fill up a gift card, Stick the card in the pump.. Save money.

Many Grocery Stores and/or super stores (Ingalls, Kroger, and more)

Even brand name (Shell, Speedway, Marathon, Et-al) have islands where you can get in and out easily but it's easier if you have looked'em over first.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Please explain how the gift card saves money. I was not aware of this option. Thanks!
===============
If you use their gift card for payment, they'll knock a few cents off per gallon. I think it's .03/gallon. Every little bit helps, I reckon, although I don't usually have the patience to run in and buy a gift card for the savings. Then again, DW will sometimes buy a card if we know we'll be fueling at a Walmart/Murphy, and we're often spending the night, or a few hours for rest, in a WM parking lot so we might be running in for some supplies anyway.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #11

I use f/J most of the time. If not f/j then however has the cheapest. I also try to get the outside line. Some tine I have to wait but I take my time any way.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #12

Carolina Campers
I usually plan the next leg of my trip before starting and determine where my stopping points will be. I use the YP app that allows me to see all the gas prices for that location.

This is generally my list of preference;

1 - Costco - usually best price, 3% cash back on my card and another 2% on membership

2 - Sam's - if no Costco, usually best price, especially using a card like Discover when you get 5% cash back. Unfortunately, they are more crowded than Costco and do not control the tragic flow as good as Costco does.

3 - Flying J - usually always convenient ingress and egress, get .06 / gal discount with the Flying J / Good Sam's card, unlimited pumping versus $100 limit at most others. I know some say the price is not competitive, but I have generally found that they are very competitively priced and usually can not beet the price after my .06 / gal discount card.

4 - other stations. I have found Wall Marts where using their gift card gives you .10 per gal discount on already competitively priced gas.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always buy when we find the cheapest gas, check islands for space especially exiting, for too many cars, and use Rewards credit cards. We travel about 5000 miles a year and save $150-300 per year. If we really need gas we buy a minimal amount and move on to cheaper areas. We use Gas Buddy a lot.
One time we needed gas bad, got off interstate and prices were terribly high. Wife got on internet and drove 2 miles (not out of the way) to .30 cheaper per gal. 60 gals x .30 = $18 plus 3% CC (@ $6) = $24 saved on one fill up!

Tags
cat, fuel, gas