Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #1

pressure sender 2000 Mountain Aire?

can someone tell me where the front air pressure sending unit is located on a 2000 newmar mountain aire. The pressure gage will not go above 20 psi but i can still get the brake to come off and drive away. I swapped the wiring around using the rear pressure and the gage worked great, so its not the gage. thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello, I am taking a guess here without looking at mine but I would say on the air tanks in front between the frame rails behind the genset. I am not to sure also about a "sending unit", I believe the guage reads right off the tank. Let us know what you find.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #3

sending unit

there must be a sending unit somewhere because the input to the gage in by electronics not direct air. thanks, if you find out more please e-mail me.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
You were right in your thinking , read post 11 here Spartan Air Brakes
How about a NAPA auto parts, mine carrys a lot of big truck parts.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #5

I'm assuming you swapped the wiring at the gauges or you would not be asking where the sending units are? I had a similar issue but swapped the wires at the sending units.

If your 2000 MADP is the same as my 2001 with the Mountain Master chassis, and I think it is, then the sending units are basically directly below the brake pedal on the OUTSIDE of the floorboard. The treadle valve for the brakes is located there.

Best access is to make sure you've got the RV secured with leveler jacks, jack stands and wheel chocks. Then crawl under the left front (below drivers seat) and basically sit up. Look up and you will see the steering box and directly above that the treadle valve with the sending units. While you're there, check the bolt on the steering shaft to steering box. Mine was only hand tight from the factory. I can't believe it actually stayed on without falling off all these years. I only found that last year as that's when I bought the motorhome.

Forgot to add... I bought the new sending unit at finditparts.com. Cheapest price I found anywhere at about $65 if I recall. That might have been with an online coupon which isn't hard to find.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

i crawled under my motorhome looking about where you said and i see 2 tanks, each one with sending units. these tanks are side by side. could this be what you are talkibg about, thanks, tommy.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #7

I don't have access to mine now to look but I don't think so. It sounds like you are too far back by the air tanks. These sending units are high up and literally right under where the brake pedal is located inside the cab area. It's practically on the firewall. You need to be sitting up in the space directly ahead of the left front wheel well. I'd estimate that they are about 4 feet off the ground and right above the steering box. I'd take a picture for you if I could but that won't be for a while.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #8

On mine, 1996 Newmar MA, the "hood" in front opens and the air lines come up near the dash area. Their are 2 sending units (front and back) I had to change 1 a couple years back and NAPA couldn't match them. I ended up at O'Reilly's.
Good Luck.

Kjlunda is offline   Reply With Quote