Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 11:43 PM   #1

Pressure Sensor Value

I just installed new $300 Goodyear G614 tires on my trailer. While traveling on I-80 in NE, the front right sensor on the trailer suddenly went from 98 psi to 100 and then to 102 psi when the TPMS started screaming at me. I slowed to 50 mph and limped into a Rest area to discover that the right rear tire and wheel were missing. All eight studs had snapped off and a $300 tire along with a $150 wheel is somewhere in the weeds about 10 miles east of Ogallala.

Without the TPMS, I would have continued driving till the other tire over heated from carrying 6000# and blew out ruining the tire wheel and probably the rear brake drum. I was able to get back on the road in a couple hours with new studs wheel and tire, $300 total cost. If the tire had blown, I could have had over a thousand in expense plus being stranded on the interstate unable to move. So all things considered, it was a very lucky day for me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 12:55 AM   #2

Let me get this straight, you lost a wheel and tire and your sensor reported excess pressure? Did it then disappear from the screen?

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Let me get this straight, you lost a wheel and tire and your sensor reported excess pressure? Did it then disappear from the screen?
He said,

FRONT RIGHT sensor on the trailer suddenly went from 98 psi to 100 and then to 102 psi when the TPMS started screaming at me.

RIGHT REAR tire and wheel were missing.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #4

I missed that little detail. Thanks!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
He said,

FRONT RIGHT sensor on the trailer suddenly went from 98 psi to 100 and then to 102 psi when the TPMS started screaming at me.

RIGHT REAR tire and wheel were missing.
But shouldn't he have gotten some kind of warning as soon as the right rear took off? Maybe something to the effect that communication was lost with the sensor?
Old 10-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
But shouldn't he have gotten some kind of warning as soon as the right rear took off? Maybe something to the effect that communication was lost with the sensor?
Ask the OP. I don't have them.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Man, that's a bummer

This is why wheel lug nut torque is so important. Too tight snaps them off later when the wheel gets to operating temperature or not tight enough, wheel wears them to break...
OP, did you have a tire shop just install them? Any recourse?

Either way, Google your wheel stud size lug nut torque, install and torque by hand.
mackwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #8

With the TST TPMS, the monitor would not recognize that the sensor was gone right away. I think there is a 30 minute period with no signal before the monitor reponds. And the studs shearing off was my own fault. I mounted the wheels after I had the new tires installed. I used a torque wrench that we have used before and didn't let it hammer away. I told myself at the time that I should be torquing them instead, but let it go. while replacing the lost wheel, I checked the other studs and all were close to the recommended torque. Lesson learned. .....We are at ST George for two weeks of serious rock crawling with friends and will find 24 more studs to replace the others so I can drive more relaxed. A very dumb move on my part, but it worked out ok.

The puzzling part was that we had come 800 miles before they snapped off.