Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Pressure washer recommendation

Looking to buy a pressure washer for RV and all the other household uses. Originally was on a path to get a honda engine powered, but recently had a chance to use a Blue Clean electric model. It worked well, and I like the idea I can throw it in the basement and use on the road to clean the RV.

Anyone have experience or recommendation on gas vs electric or specific brand and model? I'm leaning towards the Blue Clean 390

High Quality Pressure Washers | AR Blue Clean

Thanks!

Rob

Rpiersie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #2

I would recommend to NOT use a pressure washer on a RV. You can blow out caulking and cause leaks.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpiersie View Post
Looking to buy a pressure washer for RV and all the other household uses. Originally was on a path to get a honda engine powered, but recently had a chance to use a Blue Clean electric model. It worked well, and I like the idea I can throw it in the basement and use on the road to clean the RV.

Anyone have experience or recommendation on gas vs electric or specific brand and model? I'm leaning towards the Blue Clean 390

High Quality Pressure Washers | AR Blue Clean

Thanks!

Rob

I have both. The (Honda) gas model is great for high volume jobs, or if using to clean a wood deck or fence, ( long use) but the electric does the job nearly as well, you just have to manage the electrical cord in addition to the water hose.

Hadn't thought of throwing in the basement, may just do that...
Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
I would recommend to NOT use a pressure washer on a RV. You can blow out caulking and cause leaks.
You just have to stand back and be careful of the pressure. I have blown a hole in a wood fence before by getting too close! Like anything else, common sense & caution...
Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Rob,

I own a Karcher with a Honda gas engine. I bought it at Costco some years back.

I have model G-3050-OH as seen HERE.

I love it and use it for so many other purposes.

One caution if you have never used one, be careful with the type of nozzle you choose.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #6

I have an electric unit from Home Depot that stores in a plastic suitcase; great for traveling. At 1,200 psi max, it is not so strong it will cause damage IF I use common sense, and never use straight-stream. Never spray at an angle, always at 90* to the surface and at least 6" distance. On my old 82 Chevy Makada, I blew a hole in the radiator accidentally hitting it with straight-stream.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #7

I carried an electric pressure washer in my MH for one season. It worked well for washing bugs off of the front of the rig when I arrived at a site that I planned to stay at for a few days, but because I try to be considerate of my neighbors and the overspray/mist resulting from the high pressure spray carries quite far in even the smallest of breezes, anytime folks were outside of their campers within a few sites of me I wouldnt use it. This constraint was inconvenient so I instead now carry a telescoping wash brush that flows water through the brush head. When I arrive at a site, I wipe/flush the fresh bugs off the front of the MH with the brush connected to my water hookup hose before hooking the hose to the MH wet bay. When I am done I colapse the brush pole and toss it in the wet bay. The whole process takes about five minutes.

The brush also works great for quickly rinsing grime off of the front of my toad before I put on its full-frontal bra. I do this as I am disconnecting the fresh water hookup from th MH in preparation for departure. Its another five minute task. No buckets or soap needed.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #8

Most rv parks won't allow washing your Mh. Would be a big help with bugs.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:03 AM   #9

I carry one of those Water Jet hose attachments. Doesn't take up any space to speak of, and it'll take the bugs off. Plus it's great for washing the coach. But I really like it for flushing out my hot water heater.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:19 AM   #10

Once you blow off the loose paint and calking, your good to go!
Old 04-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stisdal View Post
You just have to stand back and be careful of the pressure. I have blown a hole in a wood fence before by getting too close! Like anything else, common sense & caution...
Yep common sense, I pressure washed my MH from top to bottom with no problems. Metal roof and fiberglass sides and I didn't pressure wash the caulking.
I still don't understand why no ones goes to the car washes along the Hwy that you drive in and wash it your self. Almost every town has one. I have a Campbell/Hausser unit. It will be to big to take along when we go fulltime so I will be looking at those self serve washes along the HWY.
And keep a coat of Rejex on the front end.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not recommend a pressure washer for an RV. It is too easy to lift/damage decals and caulk at seams and windows. Just plain old hand washing for mine.

As for the Rejex, I am not a fan of this. It is an inside industrial floor wax. A neighbor at our last host position had it on his motorhome and he was plagues with spots that would come and go depending on the weather.

Ken
Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Rob,

I own a Karcher with a Honda gas engine. I bought it at Costco some years back.

I have model G-3050-OH as seen HERE.

I love it and use it for so many other purposes.

One caution if you have never used one, be careful with the type of nozzle you choose.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I have this same exact model (bought it from Costco also). I love it for around home use but think that it may be too big and heavy to take with us when we go full-timing. In that same vein, we are evaluating everything we currently own for, first, do we need/want it for full-timing and, second, if so, can we use what we have or will it need to be right-sized for full-timing. We are now doing the same thing with any new purchases.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I quickly realized when I was preparing to leave CA and start traveling around North America that I wanted to take and needed way too much stuff so I opted for a 26 foot cargo trailer that is fully packed when ready to travel.

It is my Rolling Garage.

Dr4Film ----- Richard