Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Could be worse, about 4 years ago I had to dodge the remains of a 6 ft fiberglass step ladder in the middle of I-610 near downtown Houston during afternoon rush hour. Thankfully I was in my car, not the motorhome.

I had to avoid a ladder pulled to the right missed it looked back in the mirror and saw two trucks go left they made it through by than I think everyone had slowed down enough to stop took about 30 miles to get my heartbeat back to normal
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #16

Hope they all made it OK not turning over was luck or good driving.

On I-85 2 AM I had a flatbed 18 wheeler drop his load of rebar, or some type of metal. I though the road in front of me exploded I could no longer see the truck in front of me with all the sparks then I saw things flying by just to my left I pulled to the right missed a sign by inches and was on the grass, the truck was trying to stop still on the Interstate and I passed him on the right. There was a rest-area about 2 miles down I pulled off so I decided to call dispatch just to have something to do and calm down. However; I was shaking so hard I could not put the dime in the phone. Just sat there for 20 minutes the truck was stopped on the interstate but I didn't try to go back. That was a long time ago hardly any traffic do to gas shortage and rationing in I think 1974.

Drive long enough and I guess we all have a story to tell.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #17

Try riding cross country on a motorcycle and see how many alligators you have to avoid.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #18

FWIW there is no news story on this incident.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #19

It would be interesting to know how many lbs of shredded rubber are picked up by the various DOT's.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:24 PM   #20

How do we know the gator was not the remains of motor home tire? Seems a more likely cause of an off-road excursion.

If the coach did in fact lose control due to a maneuver to avoid road debris, who's at fault? Job 1 is to maintain control of your vehicle. I might run off the road to avoid a baby carriage, but I'm darn sure not leaving the asphalt for a piece of rubber.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
How do we know the gator was not the remains of motor home tire? Seems a more likely cause of an off-road excursion.
The largest majority of gators on the road are the result of a recap coming apart. They are only legal on semi trailers. Motorhomes can not legally run a recapped tire.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Pretty Serious RV Accident on I 10 East Today.

Actually we ran caps on tractor drive tires at times. They are only illegal to my knowledge on steer tires. The cost savings of using quality recaps is just to great to ignore for many big trucking firms
Virtually all “Gators “ are tread caps not blowouts. Blowouts leave pieces everywhere not just a long tread. If the recap-manufacturing is good they choose safe casings to start with and properly adhere the tread
Now that summer is here you’ll see more as the hot weather and pavement heat plus freeway speed will mix and cause more failures of the caps. Just one of the hazards of the road to be aware of.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Years ago I was behind a car in the hammer lane, we were coming up on passing a semi. When that car in front of me got right even with the trailer tandems, one of the tires blew, and jettisoned the recap. Their windows were down too! Boom! I think some of the shrapnel went in the car, some hit my windshield, and I missed the gator. Scared the heck out of those people, with good reason.
Moral of the story, don't take your time passing a big rig, get it done and clear. I see lots of cars lally gag around like the above mentioned when passing big trucks. Bet it was the last time those particular folks did that.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Try riding cross country on a motorcycle and see how many alligators you have to avoid.

Alligators would be easy on a bike if you're paying attention.

Years ago, I was riding behind a flatbed truck with a small portable building on the trailer. Building came loose, slid off the trailer right in front of me and kept sliding on the highway, slowing rapidly from sliding friction.

Pucker-factor went off the scale that day, but I was lucky and avoided it.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The largest majority of gators on the road are the result of a recap coming apart. They are only legal on semi trailers. Motorhomes can not legally run a recapped tire.
I just spent some time researching the legality of using retread tires, and not once did I get a return indicating retreads are illegal for ANY type of vehicle.

I subscribe to the periodical "The Aviation Consumer", and this month's issue happens to have an article on use of retread tires in the aviation industry, one of the world's most regulated industries. The article states that as many as 95% of all tires used by airlines are retreads.

I think they're legal for any vehicle.

Is it really safe to use retreads on my truck or car?? | Interesting Articles (Retread Tire Association (RTA))

https://www.tirerecappers.com/tire-r...yths-debunked/

https://www.treadwright.com/blogs/tr...-tires-illegal
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fottip View Post
I just spent some time researching the legality of using retread tires, and not once did I get a return indicating retreads are illegal for ANY type of vehicle.

I subscribe to the periodical "The Aviation Consumer", and this month's issue happens to have an article on use of retread tires in the aviation industry, one of the world's most regulated industries. The article states that as many as 95% of all tires used by airlines are retreads.

I think they're legal for any vehicle.

Is it really safe to use retreads on my truck or car?? | Interesting Articles (Retread Tire Association (RTA))

https://www.tirerecappers.com/tire-r...yths-debunked/

https://www.treadwright.com/blogs/tr...-tires-illegal
Yes after I posted my comment, I remembered from 45 years ago using recaps by Bandag on our potato bulk trucks. And as has already been pointed out, they were legal at any position EXCEPT the steer axle. I wouldn't want to use them on my motorhome, but some might to save a few bucks.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
X2 - yeah, how does this happen so frequently? I see them often. I'm generally not one for a bunch of laws a regulations but are truckers required to have TPMS sensors so they are alerted before a blowout? I certainly hope they are since every Toyota Corolla with 13" rims must. I'd gladly take my chances with an "alligator" off a small car as opposed to the monsters coming off 18-wheelers.
Why does every Toyota with 13" rims need tpms?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post

If the coach did in fact lose control due to a maneuver to avoid road debris, who's at fault? Job 1 is to maintain control of your vehicle. I might run off the road to avoid a baby carriage, but I'm darn sure not leaving the asphalt for a piece of rubber.

Very true. Without a better look at the motorhome it was speculation on my part that the tire carcass was from a semi. It was about 3/4 of the entire circumference of the tire. It had the appearance of a recap.

Throughout our 3000 mile trip from Havasu to San Antonio and back I got to see the remanence of hundreds of semi tire carcasses all over the road. Its pretty sobering to think of the damage a tire carcass could do to a motorhome and or coach.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote