RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2019, 11:45 PM   #1

Pretty Serious RV Accident on I 10 East Today.

Hoping it was no one on the forum but either way I home everyone is OK.

Around noon today about 10 miles East of Wilcox AZ there was a fairly serious accident involving an RV.

We were westbound on I 10 headed toward Phoenix from Las Cruces NM, noticed off in the distance a set of emergency services lights. As we got closer we could see a serious accident was evolving.

Looked like a 40í DP took evasive measures to avoid a detreadded tire from a semi and ended up in the ditch. Sounds pretty simple on the surface but as we approached the scene we could see the RV drove down a 30í embankment and sheared off a 16Ē diameter power pole on the way. The RV was perpendicular to the HWY about 30í down the embankment and 200í from the road. Stuck in the sand. The power pole was completely destroyed Nd just dangling in the air. It appeared there was a toad still connected to the RV but it was hard to tell for sure.

The accident had just happened only moments before we passed going in the opposite direction. Somehow the motorhome was still upright despite going down a +30í embankment. These are huge wooden power poles and one was completely missing except for the part dangling in the air.

Hope all is OK and if its anyone on the forum I would love to hear more about what happened. Semiís shedding a tire in front of me is one of my biggest fears. Itís complete BS how many tire carcasses are left for us to deal with on the nations highways. This is one of the most dangerous things RVírs face day in and day out.

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 11:59 PM   #2

Nightmare!!!
I hope they had seatbelts on.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #3

Those alligators are certainly dangerous - even if you're lucky and it goes between the front tires, the toad may get whacked by it. The alligators I've come across are never laying in a place that, if you don't spot it from a distance, you can easily manuever around them.
Hope no one got hurt.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Good reason to not follow to close to the vehicle in front of you.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #5

RV still upright is good sign
Sheared power pole is NOT good sign
Do hope no injuries.

Lot of 'detail' for traveling in opposite direction on a divided Interstate
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
It’s complete BS how many tire carcasses are left for us to deal with on the nations highways.
X2 - yeah, how does this happen so frequently? I see them often. I'm generally not one for a bunch of laws a regulations but are truckers required to have TPMS sensors so they are alerted before a blowout? I certainly hope they are since every Toyota Corolla with 13" rims must. I'd gladly take my chances with an "alligator" off a small car as opposed to the monsters coming off 18-wheelers.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:40 AM   #7

Could be worse, about 4 years ago I had to dodge the remains of a 6 ft fiberglass step ladder in the middle of I-610 near downtown Houston during afternoon rush hour. Thankfully I was in my car, not the motorhome.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:27 AM   #8

Pretty Serious RV Accident on I 10 East Today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
RV still upright is good sign
Sheared power pole is NOT good sign
Do hope no injuries.

Lot of 'detail' for traveling in opposite direction on a divided Interstate

Well, at least I waited till I stopped before posting the story on the forum. I was almost thinking of going Facebook Live for a bit right when I saw the ES lights...........

Oh by the way, I have a great copilot. She perks right up whenever I say ďummm, something is going on in front of us...Ē. She came up with most of the details. :cheers:
Old 05-16-2019, 01:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
X2 - yeah, how does this happen so frequently? I see them often. I'm generally not one for a bunch of laws a regulations but are truckers required to have TPMS sensors so they are alerted before a blowout? I certainly hope they are since every Toyota Corolla with 13" rims must. I'd gladly take my chances with an "alligator" off a small car as opposed to the monsters coming off 18-wheelers.

I totally agree. A TPMS at a minimum and IMO an adequate maintenance/travel log should include tire maintenance and inspection as mandatory. These drivers are professionals and fairly well paid. They, along with the equipment owners need to take a more active roll in keeping blown tire carcasses off the highway.

Its one of the most dangerous things we RV Pilots face on the road today.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Could be worse, about 4 years ago I had to dodge the remains of a 6 ft fiberglass step ladder in the middle of I-610 near downtown Houston during afternoon rush hour. Thankfully I was in my car, not the motorhome.

Dude thats crazy. I cant imagine the damage that could do if you hit it wrong and it tried to fold in half and poke its way into your coach or chassis. So many bad outcomes.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:35 AM   #11

It had already been hit several times when I saw it, laying on its side in the open position with one leg partly broken off. Traffic was so dense I did not see it until the last second, with only limited room to dodge, somehow I missed it.

I had another close call on the Hwy 90 / future I-49 corridor in southern Louisiana in September 2012 (I remember the date because it was on my wife's birthday), following along behind an 18 wheeler, and suddenly found myself straddling a warehouse pallet rack section, basically a 20 ft long 4-5 inch tall steel I-beam laying lengthwise in the lane. Thankfully some how the car (Ford Freestyle) had enough ground clearance to clear it, though to this day I don't know how.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #12

I think trucks can use retreads on nonstear tires. Mom and I had a gator fly over the top of our car once while traveling next to a truck. For that reason I dont let trucks pass me going slightly faster than me, tap the brake, let em pass quickly and keep a safe distance behind a truck to avoid gators.

we call tire treads gators in Florida
gatorb8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #13

Another fine example of stupid. We stopped at a roadside rest area on the way to Fla. and next to us a semi with a load of pipe had a flat / partially shredded rearmost driver side tire. Yep ! you guessed it, he got back in the cab after looking at the tire and headed back onto I-10 east bound. Never saw the truck or alligator along the highway, Surprised it didn't catch fire.
connlonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #14
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Wow, very scary.....puts me in mind of a thread here a year or so ago about a motorhome hitting a drywall cart that had fallen off a truck. I think it was in Atlanta.

Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote