Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #1

Previous Class A rental?

Hi All,

I'm sure this question may have been asked before but some of the previous threads listed older models and higher mileage then the ones we're going to be looking at.

We going to be taking a look at two 2016 Winnie Vistas. They both have roughly 12k miles but were previous rentals. I've been told RV rentals shouldn't be compared to car rentals which are used much more frequently and by many more people. Any one have any thoughts or suggestions with a previous rental model?

They are asking about $84k but being that it's the end of the year, when I assume sales are slow, I may be able to have a lot of leverage in negotiating.

Am I crazy for considering? Going to go take a look at them but thought I'd throw this out there.
dtoste77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 08:56 PM   #2

Most rentals are made for that market--fewer bells and whistles. In my opinion, that is a good thing--less to break and maintain. With 12,000 miles, that could be just 3-4 trips by renters. Offer $60,000.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look at this New 2016 Winnebago Vista 31BE Motor Home Class A at Lichtsinn RV Forest City Iowa Lichtsinn RV only $74950 and brand new.

Another new one and $83657
http://www.lichtsinn.com/inventory/2...ta-LX-30T.aspx

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
Most rentals are made for that market--fewer bells and whistles. In my opinion, that is a good thing--less to break and maintain. With 12,000 miles, that could be just 3-4 trips by renters. Offer $60,000.
Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing..Worth a shot, of course it will depend on condition as well as how strongly they stand behind their used RV's.

Also, I realized I didn't list the model. It's the 31ke. There's also an RV show coming up, which the dealership is not taking part in. Something I'd make sure I'd let them know I'm planning on attending.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:33 AM   #5

I bought My 1st motorhome in 2007 was a previous rental that was only 1 model year old. It was a 2006 sightseer 30b with 39000 miles and around 200 hours on the generator. I could not believe how inexpensive the dealer was selling it for($38000) I kept it for about 2 years and sold it for $50000. I think the dealer maintained it well and I really had no problems with it and for a 1st motorhome it was a great purchase. Id say go for it if you are comfortable with their price.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:31 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think rather young rentals, as the two listed by the OP, shouldn't be a problem as long as the coach is equipped with the standard fittings. Seen a lot of rentals without awnings and such. If missing or a coach has unrepaired minor damage negotiate accordingly. If the seller has rental and maintenance records even better.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #7

Thank you all. I'm also going to look at a 2016 Fr3. It's used with a little under 4k miles. They confirmed it was a trade in not a rental. With that said, does a new model with such low miles raise any red flags?
Old 12-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #8

I personally would avoid rentals, but from the post above, sounds like it could work. I just hear, "Drive it like a rental!" in my head when I think about it. Also, I would think RV rentals are used by people learning to RV. Nothing wrong with that, but that could mean a rental may have been through hell and back before it went up for sale.

Good luck either way
Old 12-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtoste77 View Post
Thank you all. I'm also going to look at a 2016 Fr3. It's used with a little under 4k miles. They confirmed it was a trade in not a rental. With that said, does a new model with such low miles raise any red flags?
Not necessarily. Some people stay close to home.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:11 AM   #10

Read that again. That first unit is $74,950 PLUS $37,475 Cash + Trade. More like $112,425 by my math. If the ad is correct, they're selling these at MSRP.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtoste77 View Post
... It's used with a little under 4k miles. ...With that said, does a new model with such low miles raise any red flags?
I think I have read the average RVer travels about 5K miles per year. I snowbird to SW FL from NH each year and I'd be lucky to put on 5K/year.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashooter View Post
Read that again. That first unit is $74,950 PLUS $37,475 Cash + Trade. More like $112,425 by my math. If the ad is correct, they're selling these at MSRP.
I've actually spoken to some folks about this. I believe Winnebago places restrictions on what price their new units can be advertised for online. This is what some sellers do to creatively get around that.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #13

There is nothing creative about that ad. It's MSRP and the loan amount is the 74K after the cash or trade. Pretty straight forward MSRP sale in my book. They could say 100K trade and only 12K loan.
That said you could probably get it for less than MSRP, but not 37K less.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
There is nothing creative about that ad. It's MSRP....
I've been looking around the country for a Winnebago View with corner bed 24J model. Lichtsinn has an MSRP of $119K, my small mom & pop Winnie dealer in NH has the MSRP at $126K and LaMesa has it at $134K. They're all optioned about the same and fully equipped. You probably couldn't squeeze another $500 of options into any of them. So, what's the "real" MSRP?
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a