Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Price for brake check ?

How much do you think I should expect to pay to have a shop pull wheels and drums and inspect brake linings ? The last time I drove the coach the brakes just didn't feel right. If the linings look good, I'll see about any possible adjustment. I don't know what else it could be. It's a Spartan Mountain Master chassis with air brakes. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Your Air Brakes have Automatic Adjusters. The usual way of adjusting is to step on the Brakes Firmly at Low Speed 3 Times in succession.
That said what problem are You having? Lack of Braking, pulling to one side?
The Cost of an inspection could run $25. per wheel which should include any minor adjustment, If there is a major problem I'm sure the Cost of Installation of Shoes Etc would include the Inspection! Brake shoes run about $50. per wheel.Installation at $???

Old 08-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #3

Rob - Thanks for the reply. The problem I'm seeing is that it seems the pedal will go all the way to its stop, without locking up the brakes. If I press hard on the pedal there seems to be a stop, then if I REALLY stomp down the pedal will go a little further. Never remember it acting like this before. It's to the point where I don't trust driving it. Scheduled to take it in on Tues. Thanks
Old 08-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
That would get Me to the Shop as well! Please post what You find out.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #5

Check your fluid levels or you may have air in your lines somehow?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I hope he has AIR in his brakes!
He has AIR brakes.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Your problem is more likely an air leak in the brake system, probably the treadle valve that feeds air pressure when you step on the brake pedal.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #8

Well....according to the mechanic, the linings arn't half gone, no air leaks. The problem he says, is the rear seals are leaking, have contaminated the rear linings and I'm only getting braking from the front. I'm understanding all that, but I don't see how that makes the pedal feel different. I've made an appointment to bring it back next week for the seal replacement. If the linings can't be cleaned, I'll have them replaced also. We'll see if it makes a difference in the pedal. I'll post the results. L.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I agree - the pedal should stay up if the only problem is contaminated shoes on the rear wheels.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosestar View Post
Well....according to the mechanic, the linings arn't half gone, no air leaks. The problem he says, is the rear seals are leaking, have contaminated the rear linings and I'm only getting braking from the front. I'm understanding all that, but I don't see how that makes the pedal feel different. I've made an appointment to bring it back next week for the seal replacement. If the linings can't be cleaned, I'll have them replaced also. We'll see if it makes a difference in the pedal. I'll post the results. L.

Just a thought. When is the last time you had the air dryer serviced? If I remember correctly your type of coach automaticly purges the air tanks but if the dryer is bad enough to let water get in you could have problems.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #11

Ask what was done to determine no air leaks, and how the shop explains the pedal problem. IIWM, I'd follow thru till I got a positive finding on what's up w/the pedal difference. Its not nothing.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:36 AM   #12

Went back yesterday afternoon and spoke to shop owner. He believes that the difference I feel is just because I've never had to apply as much pedal pressure to get the rig stopped. As I think about it, I think he's probably right. I never had to really plant my foot to get it stopped, it was always hardly any effort. It's just been the last several trips that I've noticed a problem. I guess I'll find out for sure on Wednesday or Thursday.

By the way, to answer my own question, for those of you who wondered, the initial cost for the brake lining inspection, finding the leaking seals and a road test, was ...... $0.....

Hope that doesn't mean I'm really gonna feel it when I get the final bill.

- L
Old 08-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #13

Well....shop owner knows what he's talking about. The coach now stops like new, the pedal is back to normal. He replaced seals, brake linings (they were too contaminated to save), brake springs and hardware, adjusted brakes, drained and refilled rear end (I requested this as I don't know that it's ever been changed) and gave it another road test.
The total came to $725.00 I guess that's not too awful bad after reading some of the prices people paid for other RV service. I checked on the work periodically and know they had one mechanic on the coach for at least 5 hours. It didn't look like he was dragging his feet either.
I guess it could have been worse. - L
Old 08-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #14

If ya call brake shoes $50 a set, that $100. 5 hours shop time in our neck of the woods is $500 plus or minus a few, so that's $600. Add fluids & seals, some tax and you're there. Sounds like a decent price, and work done at a reasonable clip to me.