Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
Price Help 05 Itasca Horizon

We are looking at a Itasca Horizon 40ad. It is loaded and in excellent condition. He is a 2nd owner and has maintained the coach. New tires all round last year. We have looked and looked and decided on this one. My question is what price range should something like this go for? We've looked online and seems the price is all over the place for the same MH.
Any help with giving me a price range would be very appreciated. I did call a dealer and according to him the price is to high. No money has changed hands as yet.
Thank you for any help you can give me on this.

Upslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can look at a 2005 Itasca Horizon 40D on the online NADA.com website. That will give some clues, but it may be low if its as nice as you say. The onlione NADA is based on average depreciation, so may not reflect market values in your area.

You should also check RV ad sites such as rvt.com and rvclassified.com to get a feel for the asking prices for similar models. Remember, tho, those are asking prices and not necessarily what they would sell for.

You can view some actual selling prices on the PPL motorhomes site. These are consignment sales rather than dealer prices. Possibly lower than a dealer would sell, but close.

Another source is the subscription NADA or Kelly Blue Book price guides. These are more accurate than the online NADA version because they use market data.. Your local library may subscribe to one or both, and your local banks and credit unions almost surely do.

Used Recreational Vehicles Sold or for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Go to NADA.com to get a thumb nail version of the coach's value. Then call some local dealers to ask what they would purchase it for. (That would be the wholesale amount.) Good dealers will give you a number because they know you could be a customer int he future or even if the current deal does not work for you. They need about 10% to 20% to keep the doors open (depending on the value of the coach) so add that and you should have a pretty good idea of the REAL retail value. Anything off that should be just that much better.

As in trading anything the final price should be based on a mechanic looking the thing over to see what, if anything, needs repaired. Dealers look at it as "wholesale less reconditioning". Private party deals should fall somewhere between what the dealer would ask and the reconditioned wholesale amount.

An example, a fellow I know paid $75K when the owner was asking less than the then current average retail of $115-$125K. That was for 2006 39' Tiffin Allegro Bus. That was in 2011.

Another thing to be aware of is that tires are only good for about 7 or so years. They have a shelf life beyond which the tire decomposes and weakens regardless of mileage. Legit tire shops will NOT sell any tire that is over two years from the date of manufacture which is stamped on each tire. Always ask to see the date.
JL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Thanks for the tips. My husband is a retired mechanic so he looked it over good. He did work on diesels so feels he knew what to look for. I did go to NADA and it helped.
Guess i'm just a little scared of making the jump from a 34 ft gaser to a 40 ft DP with 3 slides! Excited but nervous at the same time. LOL
Thanks again,
Upslady is offline   Reply With Quote