Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2016, 08:07 AM   #1

Pricing a used class A pusher

hi all, new to the site. i'm retiring at the end of this year and the wife and i are looking for a class A to travel in full time. not sure how long at this point, but a couple of years for sure. starting to look now there are so many rigs on the market and price ranges that its crazy. anyone have a site or method to pricing a used model? i've looked at the NADA listing, but is that the only one? and are those prices good? thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #2

Nada is ok for a baseline. Don't add any options most were standard. When buying used it's all about condition.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #3

Ive been pricing class A motor homes for a while now. This is what I do.I get on Ebay and RV trader. You can set your search for what ever things you want. Gas or Diesel, how many slides and so on. This gives me an idea of what people are asking nation wide.

I found one for sale locally at a dealership and inquired about it. It would seem in my area (Nebraska) they are pretty high. I can save thousands of dollars by traveling to Florida, Texas or Arizona. I would never had known that if I had not done my research on these sites.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Be careful when listing number of slides as a criteria. The trend is going from four slides to three, with one of the latter being a full wall slide...rather than two short slides on that side.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #5

I like to look at what similar units SOLD for, easily done on Ebay. Asking prices on consignment coaches available through pplmotorhomes.com a pretty good guide as well. The fact they sell them on consignment and do quite a volume generally means they are priced competitively - vs. pricing born in fantasy land.

Condition is a HUGE part of any RV deal. Coach of your dreams that has not been maintained well can be a huge money pit. Condition also pretty subjective (understatement!), especially when talking buyer vs seller, so I'll just say I wouldn't spend a dime on a coach I haven't seen and touched in person and leave it at that. Do not trust pictures! Best advice? Take your time. Finding a good deal may take some serious time!

Best of luck!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
This might be the best $ 15 you ever spend as you begin your exploration to find the perfect for you used RV:

Buying a Used Motorhome - How to get the most for your money and not get burned: Mr Bill Myers: 9781479365388: Amazon.com: Books
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #7

PPL Motorhomes
has a webpage showing the actual selling price of MH's they have sold. It is also a good reference.
You might also download their free ebook for buying a MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Starting your search and research early is a good idea.

We had a Class C and wanted to move up to a Class A so started comparative shopping. I continually searched on websites looking at rigs, I like Ebay, RVTrader, and a couple others. I actually set up searches on EBAY that I could easily check daily. I started to know what the value of the coaches were.

We were looking for a Class A with slides, probably +5 years old to take advantage of used pricing. At the time we weren't locked into a particular model or floor plan.

On our travels in our older RV we would stop at RV dealers and look at their inventory. This helped us understand floor plans and how certain manufacturers compared against each other. Also learned the wide range of condition to expect.

We looked for +2 years, in 2008, and while on a trip to Florida I saw one listed on EBAY. We took time to go look at it. The rig was a repo but appeared to be in very good condition. No maintenance records but it appeared it had been well maintained. The previous owners had made a couple of upgrades. We ultimately bought the rig, paying ~60% of NADA price listing. I can still get ~75% of what I paid for it 8 years later.

As to pricing, it will have a wide range for the same model coach. Some owners think their coaches are still worth much more then the market would pay. They list their rigs for outrageous amounts and wonder why the coach doesn't get much interest/inquiries.

There may also be a coach prices low due to problems, this would require close inspection and understanding what it would take to fix, if you are a do it yourselfer you could take advantage of this.

If you search long enough you will soon understand what is a good deal and ultimately will find one that you want to make an offer on. Know what you want to pay and your initial offer should be low and negotiate to your price.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:44 AM   #9

I have one other "Be Careful" to shoot at you, you said in a "few years", that's what I said too. Just a few months ago, and now I own a New Class A. Watch out, the bug bites hard.
bb920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #10

The urge to buy can be overwhelming.
It's one of the reasons I only go to one RV show a year. There's always something new there I'd like to have. and they are always making me an offer I can't refuse.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
The urge to buy can be overwhelming.

It's one of the reasons I only go to one RV show a year. There's always something new there I'd like to have. and they are always making me an offer I can't refuse.

Your RV shows must be better than ours. Last show we went to there was nothing I would have traded my coach for. They just don't make them like they used to.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
Old 03-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb920 View Post
I have one other "Be Careful" to shoot at you, you said in a "few years", that's what I said too. Just a few months ago, and now I own a New Class A. Watch out, the bug bites hard.
Wowee! There's certainly some truth to that. People out looking, telling themselves they aren't "ready" to buy yet, what happens when you run across something, and your reasons not to buy it become exhausted sooner than planned?
Old 03-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #13

[QUOTE=G Schulz;2995507]Your RV shows must be better than ours. Last show we went to there was nothing I would have traded my coach for. They just don't make them like they used to.

We've gone to several RV shows with excitement in our veins. We left them with disappointment. We always take a blank check and always take it home.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It's all about the condition of the coach. We looked a long time for a coach in the condition we wanted at the price we wanted to pay.

We researched all the common RV selling sites and did searches for specific RVs at dealers across the country. That gave us a ball park figure for asking prices which we compared to the NADA value guide and the "sold" price list at places like PPL. That gave us a pretty good feel for the value of coaches we were interested in. You have to narrow down the field otherwise there are just too many options to really research.

We narrowed down our search to Country Coach Allure's, Newmar Dutch Star's and Monaco Dynasty's and concentrated on them. We looked at a lot of coaches before we decided to buy, but we were comfortable that we got a good coach at a good price.

Just one other caution, we started looking for bargains and after a couple months decided there weren't that many to be had. If the price was low, there was a reason for it. More people over price than under price when they make a pricing mistake.

Good luck

Tags
class a