Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
UAV

Pricing Questions

Hello Everybody...

I know this is subjective but since I am getting ready to put a bid on a nice pre-owned coach I thought I would try and get some input.

My question is this: Other than an NADA "price" the whole pricing thing is very subjective. This being said, how does one feel comfortable with a price, come up with a price and, most importantly, decide on what is a "good" deal? Is there sort of a formula for a coach that is five years old vs. ten? Super clean coach vs. so so, etc.

I would like to get a good deal but I know that RVs are not the best investment due to depreciation...but I would not be buying it as an investment but as a long term coach I see myself keeping for years and possibly one in which I could go full time which will happen at some point!

Any input would be greatly appreciated and there is always good info on this forum!

Thanks...
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
Hello Everybody...

I know this is subjective but since I am getting ready to put a bid on a nice pre-owned coach I thought I would try and get some input.

My question is this: Other than an NADA "price" the whole pricing thing is very subjective. This being said, how does one feel comfortable with a price, come up with a price and, most importantly, decide on what is a "good" deal? Is there sort of a formula for a coach that is five years old vs. ten? Super clean coach vs. so so, etc.

I would like to get a good deal but I know that RVs are not the best investment due to depreciation...but I would not be buying it as an investment but as a long term coach I see myself keeping for years and possibly one in which I could go full time which will happen at some point!

Any input would be greatly appreciated and there is always good info on this forum!

Thanks...
For me, NADA would be the starting point. Then once you have narrowed your choice of coaches do a search of of comparable units on the market and take an average of those. It's not always What it's Worth but what you can get for it.

Now, try to get a read for the person or dealer selling your pick as to how long it's been on the market and how anxious they are to make the deal. Of course mileage, past history and condition are important factors also. IMHO.
Good Luck with your search.
P/S, here is a link for a group that I used to help me make my search a lot simpler. Best $150 I spent. You may want to check it out if you are not sure of what to buy and are not familiar with the makes/models on the market.

RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs
Old 05-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It's really no different than "what is a house worth?" The only meaningful standards are "what it is worth to YOU" vs "what it is worth to other buyers?" The dealer prices according to what he thinks buyers might pay. You have to decide if its worth that to you. Don't be afraid to bargain hard, but at the end of the day it's still your valuation that counts.

The online NADA Guide is no more than a guesstimate. It is based on average depreciation rather than market data. You can get better info if you buy the subscription version of NADA or Kelly Blue Book for RVs, but it's still just one data point.

You can also look at the PPL Motorhomes web site. They have actual sales data for everything they sold for the last two years. Just remember these are consignment ales and typically well under what a dealer would charge for delivering a similar rig.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #4

Gary has it right. Guides are only that, guidelines. Everyone wants to claim that they made the best deal. It comes down to looking at comparable sales and deciding what it's worth to you.

At the end of the day, there will always be someone online that says they wouldn't have paid that much, or they would have negotiated a better deal. But they aren't the ones that have your coach.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #5

comparable sales are the only real guide. I live in Oregon and here older, mid 90's, class c's are going for double the nada book all day long. supply, demand and what the market is willing to pay is the only real pricing there is.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

89sandman points out a glaring fault in the online NADA RV guide: by using a depreciation algorithm rather than actual sales data, it ignores popular models that remain in high demand as well as the fact that there is always a "floor" price where depreciation levels off and the selling price stabilizes.

It's hardly surprising that NADA doesn't give away their best data. Afterall, gathering and selling vehicle sales data is their only business. If you don't want to take the time to research regional selling prices yourself, buy the market-based NADA RV Guide. It's available via their website.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #7

And if all else fails, call your local bank and/or credit union and ask what they will loan on it with out a down payment. I have also called an Insurance company before as well to find a value of something.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
When I purchased my first motorhome that was used I looked at the lowest value in the NADA book without adding any options at all and I was able to find a 4 year old coach one owner with 30,000 miles. Also asking a bank or a business that makes loans on motorhomes will help and comparison of prices. Take your time searching for one is a lot of fun. Good luck
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorgan6375 View Post
And if all else fails, call your local bank and/or credit union and ask what they will loan on it with out a down payment. I have also called an Insurance company before as well to find a value of something.
Yep. They use NADA values.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes a local pubic library will have a subscription to the NADA guides. Ask in the reference section of the library. My county library system has them at the main branch, but not subsidiary locations.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
UAV

Thanks to everyone for the input...the deal is done and I am picking her up in a couple of weeks!
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
Thanks to everyone for the input...the deal is done and I am picking her up in a couple of weeks!
Don't disappear, keep us informed when you have more information. RVers are a curios type.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote