Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What is your #1 priority for your next coach?
Fit & Finish 11 23.40%
Livability 28 59.57%
Drivability 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Priority for your next coach

Coming up from the Keys, we stopped at Lazydays for a day to stay behind the snow and look at some of the new coaches. With lots of time to dream about a new one on the way back home we were wondering what other's priorities were for a new coach. Not like all electric or full side slide, but larger in scope. We narrowed it down to 3 items:

1) Fit and finish - just a higher quality of materials, electronics and convenience features
2) Livability - better layout, more storage, more comfort
3) Drivability - better handling on the road, more power

We decided that we really like the storage and room in our MH, but don't like the opposed sofas and small bathroom, so our number one priority would be increased livability. We would like a larger kitchen, a rear bathroom/wardrobe, sit across from the TV and more windows on the camping (passenger) side. I think that I would pass on a better handling coach to have these features, as long as it handled better than the coach that I now have.

Obviously we want an improvement in all areas, but what would be your number one priority over the coach that you now have?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Affordability
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Our upgrades were different than your. We could not find a passenger side dinette or widows floor plan that we liked.

For our type of traveling it was all electric, no more maintenance batteries, went with AGM's. An additional 1/2 bath, a fireplace for cool weather while enjoying the fall colors and the best insulation we could find.

Already knowing the handling of our previous coach, we stayed with what we knew was excellent for drivablity.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #4

I went with Livability. However in reality I have all three of those as 'Must Have's' - so all would tie as #1 priority. Things like color of paint, interior decor, or items that I don't like but could easily be changed later - would be 2nd, 3rd - etc. Priority.

I did like the affordability comment too - as price is always a factor!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I went with driveability. One must be comfortable and feel safe driving your home down the highway. After I have that I would than look at livability then fit & finish.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Intresting to see others thoughts on this. We have the fit/finish and drivability we want on this MH, we just need more room. The minimums for us are Tag axle, Aqua-Hot and Air leveling, then a floor plan that works. I've found that if a MH has the first three then fit and finish is up to our standard. Driveability is very much a matter of taste. Some like a firm taut ride, others prefer soft and cushy. I tend to stay with firm and taut, although thats a relative thing in a 20 ton MH. The Chassis is like the foundation on a S&B house. If you don't have a good one then the nice house won't stay nice. IMO.

On edit: While cost is a factor, we find it is a poor measure of value.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For us, this is our intended last coach. In looking for it our 'priorities' were:

1. Larger, more livable space
2. Tag axle but not longer than 43' (tag is for the driver )
3. Power cord reel (grew tired of struggling with heavy power cord)
4. As nice (quality, fit/finish) we could get in a used DP within our budget
5. Good factory support if we needed it
6. Residential fridge
7. side radiator

We got everything on our list with perhaps #5 being the exception, plus a lot more not on our list but really nice to have:

1. Aqua Hot.
2. Heated tile floors
3. Stacked washer/dryer
4. 3 AC/heat pumps
5. Air leveling (haven't missed leveling jacks yet)

Coach rides and drives like a dream. While CC is not building coaches now, they have reopened the original factory providing service, parts, and tech support. It is, however, far from our home base.

The only thing we may want to change is to remove the driver's side sofa-bed and replace with either a reclining love seat or maybe two euro recliners.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #8

A typical full-timer drives between 4-8K miles a year. That breaks down to driving your coach a grand total of 0.8 - 1.1% of the time during the whole year. That means 99% of the year you are doing something other than driving so for me drivability is by far the smallest concern. Livability and then a decent fit and finish. I don't need luxury since the coach is really just a hotel room on wheels and the real adventure lies outside of it. JMO.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our next (and last) will be gas engine and minimal slides. We will never be full timers and I wish to keep things simplistic. DW wants (demands) a W/D and that seems to be a problem with gas rig floor-plans unless you are willing to give up other valuable space.

Enter my grand idea, ta-da, the bunkhouse style coaches look like an excellent opportunity to toss the bunk beds and gain W/D space plus storage. There are some plans that put the bunks in a small slide.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #10

Obviously many of theses things are subjective to your lifestyle and even just what is important to you. I love our coach and was worried about it being 14 yrs old but with time I've gotten to know what needs some tlc and what is reliable. I love the layout although I don't like to put the table down for guests to sleep. Means no one can have brfst until that person is up (if its raining out). Sometimes I wish it were smaller as campsites are limited and getting around some places is tight.
But if I had to say what I value the most its the layout. It has to function for you. Just my .02
Old 02-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #11

Most of the coaches I have seen (or could afford) less than 40' long had respectable floor plans, drove OK, but had the less expensive interiors. I want a high class, all wood, tile, no carpet, decent lighting and heat in a smaller (34 to 38') coach. It just seems the mfgr's don't think much of the smaller units. I understand the cost differences but I would be willing to pay that for the quality.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbburgess View Post
Most of the coaches I have seen (or could afford) less than 40' long had respectable floor plans, drove OK, but had the less expensive interiors. I want a high class, all wood, tile, no carpet, decent lighting and heat in a smaller (34 to 38') coach. It just seems the mfgr's don't think much of the smaller units. I understand the cost differences but I would be willing to pay that for the quality.
That's a common problem in the US. Perception has always been the up level/top of the line has to be big. Its been the perception of the auto makers for years. Certainly packaging all the amenities requires more space but it does seem hard to find a high end RV in a small pkg. Although I did see some nicely built class C mh's built on Mercedes chassis at the RV show. More expensive than some class A mh's.
Maybe we will start to see more smaller versions with high end materials as the auto industry is finally realizing that they can sell a luxury car in a small pkg.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #13

Aqua hot with heated floors
dishwasher
fullwall slide
patio awning designed with common sense
We are fulltime. Ours drives great, well inslated and is well built. I will definately will stay with brand.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #14

Our next motorhome had to have teh following fefatures:
4slides
convention oven.
diesel
central vacuum
larger shower
bigger generator
king size bed
larger refrigerator
(2) 72 inch couches
side radiator