Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 02:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have not had this as a problem (tire kickers) and think going to measures of asking for proof of funds is needed. In a telephone conversation you can ask a few questions that will give you an idea of who/what you are dealing with. Such as asking how they plan to purchase, cash or finance. If finance have they been pre-approved or spoken with lenders. Don't offer or do a test drive until at least initial money / price has been discussed so as to not waste anyone's time or effort.
... but there in lies the rub. Until I take it for a test drive (or even a test ride) I don't know what I want to offer, or if I want to make an offer at all.

With that said, I don't want to waste anyone's time either, so I'd never ask for a test drive unless I was very serious!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If someone asked me for anything when I was shopping I would say "next".
Way too many coaches for sale out there.
I'm from the east coast so I realize we can be a little less tolerant than most others. I would not want to throw a wrench into any sale and jeopardize any potential buyer.

If I go to any dealership and they don't ask me for anything like that. I can walk in and out of half a million dollar coaches all day long.

I sold many items (Cars/RVs/Boats/Motorcycles/etca) and you can expect to jump through all sorts of hoops when doing so. Your payback is in more money in your pocket than a dealer/consignment will provide. But you WILL work for it.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Now when it comes to a test drive, we're looking at potential liability so at a minimum proof of insurance would be in order. Proof of financial ability would be a bonus.

If the driver does not own the vehicle and there is no rental contract, whose insurance comes into play if you are simply "lending" your vehicle for a test drive? I would guess this might vary with jurisdiction. From past reading, I have the impression that liability ultimately lies with the owner of the vehicle.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
If the driver does not own the vehicle, liability lies with the owner of the vehicle.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonrv View Post
If you are selling a high dollar class A privately do you ask to see if the buyer has purchasing power before showing it?

Or just show it?

I think that would severely limit your prospects! I'm afraid some folks would be very offended by that and just keep going! JMHO!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
What would be the purpose or value of "a simple pre-qual letter from the finance company or if they have cash a note from the bank stating they have cash." ? And, if they did provide that, how would you know it was legit verses something they just created and printed off on their computer?

At worst I would view this as either someone wanting to scam personal information from me and, at best, someone who would be unreasonable to transact business with. In either case I would immediately hang up the phone and check out the net of many RV being offer for sale.

You must make a judgement call before allowing someone you don't know to test drive your coach but that would only happen after you had talked to them and been allowed to gauge their interest and capabilities. Just as is the case with most car and RV dealerships today, it would not be unreasonable copy their driver's license and validate it is appropriate for your coach and the legal requirements in your area.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
Just as is the case with most car and RV dealerships today, it would not be unreasonable to copy their driver's license and validate it is appropriate for your coach and the legal requirements in your area.

Must be the analyst in me, but I have to ask how you validate a driver licensed in state A driving a vehicle registered in state B on the roads of state C.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Must be the analyst in me, but I have to ask how you validate a driver licensed in state A driving a vehicle registered in state B on the roads of state C.
Though you would not be able to check with it directly the DMV you could view its expiry date, see if the address on the license and the address and other comments by the given by the person match up, and if the license classification is appropriate for the requirements in your region. As an example, in my area you need an air ticket endorsement on your license to operate a rig with air brakes and without it you are not able to drive the coach, even when accompanied by someone with an air ticket.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #23

Quote:
If the driver does not own the vehicle and there is no rental contract, whose insurance comes into play if you are simply "lending" your vehicle for a test drive? I would guess this might vary with jurisdiction. From past reading, I have the impression that liability ultimately lies with the owner of the vehicle.
I think this is the key.

Here in Texas I can site two cases where the driver of a borrowed vehicle had their insurance pay for the repairs to the borrowed vehicle... not the owner's insurance.

In one of those instances, it was a coach out on a test drive. The driver (potential buyer) cut a corner a little too close and clipped a landscape boulder sitting close to the curb. Damaged two compartment doors just in front of the rear wheels. The driver's (potential buyer's) insurance paid for the repair.

Of coarse all of this would have to be spelled out before the test drive, and I would assume the seller of a coach would have insurance on his rig before allowing it on a public road ... regardless of who's behind the wheel.

Oh... and by the way... I was not the potential buyer!
Old 05-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #24

Are there a lot of joy riders or tire kickers that really want to drive used motorhomes? I can think of way better vehicles to drive if I just wanted to waste time!
Sportscars!
Old 05-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well in the marine world no cash=no splash and you can't get a bidder # at Barrett Jackson unless you can prove you have the $ to the pre-approved limit.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
As an example, in my area you need an air ticket endorsement on your license to operate a rig with air brakes and without it you are not able to drive the coach, even when accompanied by someone with an air ticket.
That is the gist of my question. If my state does not require an air endorsement for an RV, or I have never needed one before, does it preclude me from test driving your vehicle? This is definitely something I would want to see in the ad before committing to any travel.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #27

Selling

hi, is there a topic on this forum for someone how want to sell his RV.

like put an Ad, a personal ad.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We went to an RV show years ago. Went out back to where some of the new rigs were parked. They showed us one then I went to the next one over. The "salesman" told me "That's a $200,000 motorhome" and wouldn't unlock it. Guess we didn't look prosperous enough. Little did he know! So we went elsewhere to buy.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, power, roof