Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We went to an RV show years ago. Went out back to where some of the new rigs were parked. They showed us one then I went to the next one over. The "salesman" told me "That's a $200,000 motorhome" and wouldn't unlock it. Guess we didn't look prosperous enough. Little did he know! So we went elsewhere to buy.

We had a consignment salesman open a coach for us and allow us to wander around all we wanted in the 90 degree interior. Start the engine? No, that would cost fuel and if he wasted that kind of money every time somebody came to look at the coach it would cost him a fortune. Needless to say...

As others have said, if you are going to sell it yourself, be prepared to be a successful salesman. You can't dare somebody to buy it. If you are going to have someone sell it for you, make sure they are not wasting your time and money.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
We had a consignment salesman open a coach for us and allow us to wander around all we wanted in the 90 degree interior. Start the engine? No, that would cost fuel and if he wasted that kind of money every time somebody came to look at the coach it would cost him a fortune. Needless to say...

As others have said, if you are going to sell it yourself, be prepared to be a successful salesman. You can't dare somebody to buy it. If you are going to have someone sell it for you, make sure they are not wasting your time and money.
Yeah, I had my coach with a consignment company in Ocala FL for over 6 months.
I asked them to start the RV and generator at least once a month. Please check the batteries too as the rig has solar on it and water needs to be checked. "Sure we take care of all that while it's here". Ha!!
So after a while I did not hear a peep out of them and I called (it was 2 hours away from where I live). They tell me they have a couple interested people that I should leave it for a little longer. So I did. What a foolish mistake. So I call again another week and pretend I'm interested in the RV and want to see it.
"Sorry, that one is sold but we do have some new ones in that price range"
Well, I was up there the following weekend to pick mine up. They also let the chassis battery go dry and it was toast.
They put a new battery in and charged me for it! He who laughs last laughs best I say. I disputed the credit card charge and never heard a peep out of that despicable company again.
I cleaned the rig inside and out and with a little effort I sold it on rvtrader to a very nice couple for more than what I would have netted from the consignment. I did have to deal with a number of tire kickers but it was more talking on the phone than people actually coming to look at it. I'd never put it on a consignment lot again. Trade it or sell it myself are the only options IMO.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #31

If you can't determine the ability to purchase a big ticket item by general conversation with the potential buyer, you should not be in the sales game.
I find it harder to read the people when selling $20K cars, boats etc.

Just my east coast less tolerant opinion.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
If you can't determine the ability to purchase a big ticket item by general conversation with the potential buyer, you should not be in the sales game.

I agree to a point. Though selling an expensive personal possession doesn't necessarily put you "in the sales game", you should treat it seriously.

Dealers have to do this every day. They can't just photocopy your drivers license and run a credit check without your permission any more.

But they can, and do, ask a lot of not-so-subtle questions that are geared at determining if you can run in the pack you are interested in:

"Is this your first RV?"
"How long have you been looking?"
"What do you do for a living?"

It helps them to know what rig to steer you towards and if they should invest real time right now or just keep the contact warm until you are ready.

I'd use this same method until they were ready to put money in front of you. Then ask for a fair cash deposit and give them a deadline to bring the cashiers check.

--Rod
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, power, roof