Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 07:00 AM   #1

Private sell of Class A - Do you make people show proof of purchasing power to look?

If you are selling a high dollar class A privately do you ask to see if the buyer has purchasing power before showing it?

Or just show it?
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #2

Good question. It can work both ways. It's hard to determine who is and is not financially capable of buying a class A. If you have to go through a lot of effort to show it like taking time off work, driving a long distance to storage, or anything that requires expense or inconvenience on your part, you might want to know in advance if they are a serious buyer. On the other hand, the more it is shown, the better chance of selling it. You never know who will be the one that just can't live without the motor home you are selling. You also can't tell by appearance. One of the wealthiest men I know wears old blue jeans and a ratty old farm cap, but always has a wad of cash in his pocket that would choke a horse. When in doubt, show it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonrv View Post
If you are selling a high dollar class A privately do you ask to see if the buyer has purchasing power before showing it?
Or just show it?
Brandonrv
How would a potential buyer prove that he has enough "purchasing power" to satisfy you??
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #4
laj

Private sell of Class A - Do you make people show proof of purchasing power t...

i always pre- qualify buyers in excess of 50k. its very easy, i just ask them to bring me a letter from their bank if paying cash, or one from the lending institution they are using. never had an issue with anyone. your not asking for their personal net worth, only are they capable of doing this deal.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Brandonrv
How would a potential buyer prove that he has enough "purchasing power" to satisfy you??
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
just a simple pre-qual letter from the finance company or if they have cash a note from the bank stating they have cash.
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonrv View Post
just a simple pre-qual letter from the finance company or if they have cash a note from the bank stating they have cash.
Brandonrv
Understood
If you are comfortable asking every potenual buyer for a "pre-qual letter from the finance company' or a "cash a note from the bank" stating they have cash before you show your coach do it.

However I can tell you if the seller of my coach had asked me to prove my purchasing power before he allowed me to see his coach I would have scratched him, and his coach, off my list of possible purchases.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not sure you want to narrow an already narrow market.
For RVs more than X years old, typically 5-7, I let buyers know that if they're going to finance they need to look into that first as financing may not be available for older units. I've had that knock some people out right from the start...

It might be more reasonable to ask for proof of financing in one form or another in the "test drive" phase where both parties are a little more interested.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:53 AM   #8

There are a lot of units for sale out there and if you have someone showing interest in yours why put that wrench in the works? Like "do you have any money?" I would have to pass on your unit like somebody else just posted. Believe me there are a lot of people out there that can buy and sell ya.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
There are a lot of units for sale out there and if you have someone showing interest in yours why put that wrench in the works? Like "do you have any money?" I would have to pass on your unit like somebody else just posted. Believe me there are a lot of people out there that can buy and sell ya.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #10

Private sell of Class A - Do you make people show proof of purchasing power t...

I have to agree. If we are starting a business relationship with you demanding that I prove my financial position and my demanding that you prove your authority to sell the vehicle, then one of us will probably walk away.

Retailers do this all the time. Somebody steals something and they have a knee jerk response of now assuming that all customers are criminals until proven otherwise. Eventually they realize how many good customers they are offending and driving away.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #11

I'm new to these forums but not to RV's.

I have been buying and selling Class A's for the Last 8 years and using them while they are for sale including a 5 month full time excursion.

I love what I do and don't have a problem dealing with people that may not be serious buyers. However after a recent test drive that my wife went along with (and was scared to death) she rightfully convinced me I shouldn't allow potential buyers to drive until we have proof of funds.
ryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #12

As someone who is currently searching for my next motorhome... I won't know if I'm interested until I take a look at it. Who knows, I may take a look and decide it's the perfect unit. The coach I've been searching years for, but If you start asking me for proof of financial ability, I'm likely to tell you to go pound salt!

As others have said... there are just too many units for sale to deal with a private seller who wants me to jump through hoops. Hoops - that by the way - a dealer wouldn't ask me to jump through. If you're asking a ridiculously low price then you can probably be more selective... and demanding. But if you're asking dealer prices then you better be prepared to do what a dealer would do. That means making the coach available to view when it's convenient for the buyer. Taking pictures as requested. Answering a million tedious questions no matter how ridiculous they may seem.

Now when it comes to a test drive, we're looking at potential liability so at a minimum proof of insurance would be in order. Proof of financial ability would be a bonus.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not had this as a problem (tire kickers) and think going to measures of asking for proof of funds is needed. In a telephone conversation you can ask a few questions that will give you an idea of who/what you are dealing with. Such as asking how they plan to purchase, cash or finance. If finance have they been pre-approved or spoken with lenders. Don't offer or do a test drive until at least initial money / price has been discussed so as to not waste anyone's time or effort.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Friend has been listing his 08 40X Providence on a couple RV internet sites (kind you pay for) and Craig's list all winter. I think his suggestion for handling people that actually show up to look....give them milk and cookies and answer questions...don't ask any. For that rare insistence when someone actually wants to give you a deposit, then maybe talk numbers.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, power, roof