Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Best Choice for a Full Timer, long distance traveler with GF & Cat
2004 Newmar Essex 7 87.50%
2003 Safari Panther 0 0%
2005 Alfa Gold 0 0%
2002 Fleetwood Revolution 40c 0 0%
2001 Mountain Aire 1 12.50%
2002 American Tradition 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2016, 02:53 AM   #1

Pro Superbike Racer -Forget rent! Become full timer! Travel track to track 3-5 years

Hello IRV2 members

I have never owned a Motor-coach, but i'm in the market for one. I race Superbikes across the USA/ Canada, and starting teaching Rider Training a couple years ago, which takes advantage of my expertise.

Rent is becoming very expensive in Kelowna BC (my hometown), so i'm looking at a new lifestyle without rent. I can't get a mortgage with my low income, as I have been racing motorcycles for 9 years, where sponsors pay my way. My fans think i'm living the dream, but truth be told, I just made extreme decisions in my life to spend all my time and money to achieve my racing goals. Now i'm stuck with tough decisions. Pay $20,000 a year on rent (essentially working to pay rent/bills), or put that money towards a Motor coach. On a 3-5 year plan, that's 60,000 to 100,000 of wasted money on rent. With a coach, I will loose with fast depreciation, and estimated 1500$ a year on maintenance/ repairs, but I still come out ahead. The question is, can I enjoy the lifestyle at 32 years old, and make it work for my racing/ teaching business?

I am looking to become a full timer with my first and possibly only Motor-coach, so I want to make the most informed/correct purchase only once. My budget is around 100,000 CDN, but if possible i'd rather spend less. I'm currently liquidating, so hopefully I can get there.

To become a full timer, with extra space to accommodate my GF and her Cat, I have been looking at 40' and larger coaches. Considering I want to live full time, I also want to feel at home with beautiful interiors, and luxury amenities. I plan to pull my 16' (5500lbs) enclosed trailer with racebikes to race/teach, and streetbikes to enjoy the adventures and use as a "car" to get to the gym, food, friends places, etc.

With my initial research I looked heavily into the 40' single axle in my Canadian used market. (With low Canadian dollar, I must buy in Canada).

I first came across these options I liked, in a budget around 70-80,000 Canadian.

2005 Alfa Gold
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2...a_See%20Ya.pdf

2001 Mountain Aire
http://www.newmarcorp.com/wp-content...pbrochure1.pdf

2003 Fleetwood Revolution 40c
http://www.sylvanlakerv.com/wp-conte.../2003_ar_f.pdf

2002 American Tradition
- http://www.rvroundtable.com/wp-conte...onBrochure.pdf
http://library.rvusa.com/brochure/Fl...radition_b.pdf

After checking out the Mountain Aire in person, I realized I need to look harder, as I really want a tall ceiling, as i'm 6'1". Most coaches like the 2001 Mountain Aire are 78", while some are up to 84", which would be great. This is a big plus with the Alfa, but I also don't like the possible resale/ house problems with the Alfa exterior pitting. After much reading, I also feel a Aqua / Thermal hot system would be preferred, but not necessary.

As a Motorsport fan, i'm always about big power, which makes me question getting a 350 Cummins ISC to pull my 5500lbs trailer. 350hp would be the minimum with this weight class of 40' pusher. (around 27,000lbs empty)

To this day, I have only driven a very short distance (around Thunderhill Raceway) a 2008 Monaco 40' Diplomat my friend owns with a ISL 400. A great motorcoach, but out of my price range considering what you get for 120k, and I want to stay away from EGR anywho.

Now I start to dream, and my budget widens!

I come across a 2004 Newmar Essex listing for 160k CDN. (Maybe he will take 130k? It's a tough market flooded with coaches) Cummings ISX 500, beautiful interior/ exterior and at 45'. I'm afraid of driving a 45' coach, and even a 40'. lol Not on the HWY, but getting in an about neighborhoods, the Pacific Coast HWY 1 in California, and everywhere I want to "Free RVcamp," and pulling my trailer.
http://www.newmarcorp.com/wp-content...dpbrochure.pdf

All this time, I also saw an ad for a 2003 Safari Panther 4213 asking 119k CDN, but didn't consider it seriously till now. I had been trying to stay away from CAT engines, for fear of higher maintenance/ repair costs. But upon further research I learned the C12 weighs a mere 2500lbs ( compared to the ISX at 3000+lbs, while putting out similar power. Both these engines should outlast the coach.

https://www.rvroundtable.com/wp-cont...03.panther.pdf

I now read about the Roadmaster series S chassis, and starting thinking about the benefits to the 2003 Panther vs 2004 Essex on a Spartan chassis.

What are your thoughts everybody?

The year is 2016, and there are a lot of RV options. If you were to travel across the Country hitting race after race track, free rv parking everything possible, on a 3-5 year plan, what coaches would you consider the best options with a budget in mind of-course.

If I want luxury, power, price and avoid EGR, I believe my best year options are between 2000 and 2007, correct? If I go older, we loose power, no slides and the list of repairs go higher with the chassis?

If I purchase any of the coaches from a 2001 Mountain Aire to a 2004 Essex/ Panther, would it be wise to install new shocks all around, as one example of additional cost, besides tires, installing AMSOIL, etc? What else should I consider to avoid headaches, and have a smooth 50,000 miles ahead?

BTW, i'm currently driving a 1999 F350 7.3 with a Northern Lite 8.5 Camper, pulling a 16' Royal Cargo Trailer. Made it just under the rear axle weight limit thanks to a equalizer hitch. I find the vehicle tiring to drive, but great for "free RVing" along the PCH 1 in California.

Found a private free driveway with a cliff view.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLwLSWHA...by=irnieracing

Working on my bike in the outside track parking lot!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMCbD6TA...by=irnieracing

Cheers

Marcel Irnie
marcel@irnieracing.com
www.youtube.com/irnieracing
www.fb.com/superbikeracer
fb.com/wbmotors

MIrnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #2

Update:

I just found a 2002 Monaco Dynasty "Baroness 40" model advertised for 75,000 Cdn with aqua hot heating, 10k generator, and new tires. I will explore to see if it comes with the ISL 370 or upgraded 400 option. The the power of the 2003 Panther with C12, but much cheaper advertised price. I like how they both have the Semi-Monocoque ROadmaster chassis.

If it has the ISL 370, what's involved to reprogram the ECM fuel managment to a 400 or 400+? What can the Alison 3000 MH 6 speed Electronic transmission handle in terms of Torque/HP?

http://library.rvusa.com/brochure/02Dynasty.pdf

"Semi-Monocoque Roadmaster Chassis
Cummins® ISL 370 Electronic Engine
with
Allison® 3000 MH 6-Speed World
Transmission and Electronic
Shifter
Torque: 1,200 lbs./ft. Max. Net at 1,300
RPMs
Rear Axle Ratio: 4.78:1"

"OPTIONS
Cummins® ISL 400 Electronic Engine
with
Allison® 3000 MH 6-Speed World
Transmission and Electronic Shifter
Torque: 1,200 lbs./ft. Max Net at
1,300 RPMs (ISL 400)
Rear Axle Ratio: 4.78:1 (ISL 400)
Cubic Inch Displacement: 540"/8.8L (ISL
400)"

Thoughts?
Old 11-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #3

Personally, I think that what you have already is a perfect set-up for one person! I'd give it a try full-timing in it before looking at the big ones you're doing. Perhaps even a more comfortable truck pulling a 5th wheel toy-hauler. What you're looking at now could cost you in repairs. Be sure to have everything checked out thoroughly before buying. I'd stay away from the Alfa. Also, you definitely don't need Aqua Heat. Get a propane catalytic heater for constant, warm heat.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I live in Ottawa. Not sure how far you're willing to travel for this purchase, but from my experience, the further east you go the lower the prices. Check out Kijiji, some great deals in Quebec. If you can understand french, Lespac.com is good too.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Personally, I think that what you have already is a perfect set-up for one person! I'd give it a try full-timing in it before looking at the big ones you're doing. Perhaps even a more comfortable truck pulling a 5th wheel toy-hauler. What you're looking at now could cost you in repairs. Be sure to have everything checked out thoroughly before buying. I'd stay away from the Alfa. Also, you definitely don't need Aqua Heat. Get a propane catalytic heater for constant, warm heat.
haha yeah, I thought about it, and would try it if I didn't find a coach to fit my needs/ price before my home rental lease is up in July. The problem is the GF/Cat.. lol I've done a month by myself in my Northerlite, and it was Ok. Easy to Free RV everywhere, but limited with water I can carry (two showers maximum), and the 6 Gallon black water tank is very lacking.

With a second person, it is not livable. One person has to be on the bed, and other below. It's also difficult to get in and out of the unit since the trailer is always attached.

I would never consider a 5th wheel, because the (separate) Moto Garage is always too small, and then the living quarters is small also. The smell of race fuel, etc must be separate from living quarters. I had considered a horse trailer with separate living quarters up front earlier this year. Still very expensive and heavy.

With my 5500lb trailer (750 tongue weight) - 200 from equalizer hitch, I saw:
F axle 3600 - 3700lbs
R Axle 6700 - 7000lbs

The other problem, is I can't bring enough cargo for living, and racing with my current setup. A bigger trailer would be great, but i'm already maxed out, and I love my 99 7.3 with AMSOIL dual bypass system.. I would never sell my truck because its value is greater to me, then the $ worth.

I'm leaning towards the 2003 42' Safari C12 with mid door entry at $120k, and now this 2002 Dynasty with the 400 ISL for $75k. I will take the time to look at them, and report back.

Yes, I am afraid of the repair costs problems, so I need to have them inspected by a qualified technician.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Here's my $.02, FWIW: The Dynasty looks like a good deal if everything works, especially the Aquahot, which is wonderful but can be expensive if not maintained properly. Your trailer is not very heavy, no heavier than many toads, so the 370 or the 400 engine will easily pull it. You aren't going to sprint up big hills no matter what engine you put in a 25 ton MH, so don't let that be an issue. Either engine will give much better economy than the C12. Cubic inches cost money to buy and to feed.

The coaches are complex and always require work, especially the older ones, trust me. In your shoes, I'd look really hard at a big 5th wheel toy hauler and appropriate tow vehicle before committing to a large DP. You probably want to spend your time and money working on the bikes, not the coach.

Cheers,
Old 11-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #7

I would look for a 5th wheel race hauler with living quarters in front, more than enough garage and still live in it.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, first-time owner, full time, full timer, racetracks, travel