RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #1

Problem #52 - Ceiling Rot

There is a section of rotted interior ceiling on the passenger side cab where the previous owner had a leak. Has anyone effected the type of repair this will require? The vinyl covering has come apart at the seams. Is this something we can do ourselves or should we have it done professionally? We are almost at the end of our tolerance with this 1996 fixer upper🙄 Just finished replacing gaskets in leaking rear end; someone had taken the covers off and didn't get them back on with the old gasket intact. It's a never-ending project. I sure would like to get to some beautification that needs done, like replacing the beat up wooden ends on the sofa and putting down some vinyl plank to replace the ugliest carpet I've ever seen!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #2

1. Without knowing your skills, I have no idea what you can do yourself.
2. What's under (or above, in this case) the vinyl? Often luan ply, which is pretty simple to replace.
3. What is the condition of the vinyl? Rotted, mouldy, stained, stinky, or stretched? Or did the backing material disintegrate and the vinyl is simply unsupported?

Pictures would be a big help.

Trent C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #3

It's hard to say how big of a project that could be until you tear into it. I just spent 6 weeks with the help of my teenage son replacing the roof and repairing the front end on my travel trailer. It's a LOT of work, but I probably saved at least $5K by doing it myself. Once you take down the ceiling, you may well have rotted framing on the top, which could lead to roof repair, etc. etc. We also had a covered garage in which to do the work, which made it much easier. You might try taking down part of the ceiling and see if you can tell how bad it is. That may let you know if you want to tackle it yourself.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergle View Post
It's hard to say how big of a project that could be until you tear into it. I just spent 6 weeks with the help of my teenage son replacing the roof and repairing the front end on my travel trailer. It's a LOT of work, but I probably saved at least $5K by doing it myself. Once you take down the ceiling, you may well have rotted framing on the top, which could lead to roof repair, etc. etc. We also had a covered garage in which to do the work, which made it much easier. You might try taking down part of the ceiling and see if you can tell how bad it is. That may let you know if you want to tackle it yourself.
I will get an inside photo later today but couldn't yesterday as my husband had the front end jacked up to grease the suspension. I didn't want to rock the boat.

The roof topside feels solid, and the soft/rotted area inside is relatively small. Pushing against the ceiling results in a solid feel with the exception of the area where the vinyl is torn. Hoping that we can just replace the luan and vinyl ceiling cover. He has recommitted to fixing everything that needs done after looking around again and liking most of what he sees. More to come on the ceiling.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent C View Post
1. Without knowing your skills, I have no idea what you can do yourself.
2. What's under (or above, in this case) the vinyl? Often luan ply, which is pretty simple to replace.
3. What is the condition of the vinyl? Rotted, mouldy, stained, stinky, or stretched? Or did the backing material disintegrate and the vinyl is simply unsupported?

Pictures would be a big help.
I'll get a picture after daylight arrives; I stayed out yesterday while my husband worked on the rear end and front end with the levelers down, as to not rock the boat.

There is no mold, mildew, or discoloration visible or smelled - just a rip in the vinyl and a seemingly empty space above the rip. Topside feels solid underfoot. Preliminary diagnosis says the backing material has disintegrated.

On a bright note, the rear end has new gaskets and is no longer leaking after my husband worked on that end of the motorhome. The front end has been greased and we are hoping that will help tighten things up. My husband said the rubber expanded visibly when greased with a pneumatic grease gun.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:41 AM   #6

Is there a need to tighten things up? If so then dont expect a grease job to fix loose or worn parts. Generally a tie rod end will either have a binding point where grease may or may not solve or help that but that would be loosening rather than tightening things up, or if you have play in any joints the only way to properly fix that is new parts. As far as rubber expanding ,this is normal in any grease job ,btw I would grease everything until you see all new grease seeping out of the joints. Didn't you post earlier about having extensive suspension work done? Did they not address the front end components as well?
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwdnet View Post
I'll get a picture after daylight arrives; I stayed out yesterday while my husband worked on the rear end and front end with the levelers down, as to not rock the boat.

There is no mold, mildew, or discoloration visible or smelled - just a rip in the vinyl and a seemingly empty space above the rip. Topside feels solid underfoot. Preliminary diagnosis says the backing material has disintegrated.

On a bright note, the rear end has new gaskets and is no longer leaking after my husband worked on that end of the motorhome. The front end has been greased and we are hoping that will help tighten things up. My husband said the rubber expanded visibly when greased with a pneumatic grease gun.
There is a slight faintly discolored area . I didn't measure but am estimating it's an area about 2x3 ft at most. Directly under the year in the ceiling is dead air. To the right of the year, toward the passenger window, the underlay is there but soft. To the left of the discolored area, the underlay is solid. We will need to remove a couple of cabinets and remove the whole ceiling cover section in the cab area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190918_141604.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	260809  
Old 09-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #8

If the ceiling is rotted inside the cabinets wouldn’t take them down too much aggravations. With the vinyl fabric ceiling there is usually 1/4” black foam that breaks down and makes a mess sticks to everything. Cover the area floor upholstery with plastic and cut the section of vinyl down up to the cabinets. If there is black foam backer it’s gonna have to be scraped clean the new fabric won’t stick very long if u don’t. We don’t take the cabinets down usually. Too much time not necessary. Just use 1/4” round molding on the edges instead.
Southern-Rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern-Rv View Post
If the ceiling is rotted inside the cabinets wouldnít take them down too much aggravations. With the vinyl fabric ceiling there is usually 1/4Ē black foam that breaks down and makes a mess sticks to everything. Cover the area floor upholstery with plastic and cut the section of vinyl down up to the cabinets. If there is black foam backer itís gonna have to be scraped clean the new fabric wonít stick very long if u donít. We donít take the cabinets down usually. Too much time not necessary. Just use 1/4Ē round molding on the edges instead.
I honestly don't know what's up there, but we'll find out when the time comes. For now it will have to wait until all the mechanical concerns are resolved. Recentering the Safe T Steer is up next.

Tags
ceiling, problem