Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Problem getting DEF on road

I just come back from a road trip of 2500 miles Va. > Canada > Pen. > Va. filled up 5 times. needed DEF buy the 3 fillup. was at Flying J in NY state. DEF tank wrong side of motorhome at pumps. so I bought 2 and 1/2 gal. tank inside store. $19 at tank $2.68 gal. so I got to looking at gas stations, no where did I find DEF at tanks for my side on motorhome. so I keep filling my 2 1/2 gal. tank?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 07:17 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Discovery 2015

Walmart 7.88 for 2.5 gal. Save containers. Use at next DEF bulk, truck stop. Tell attendent you need DEF. Do not go in wrong way at truck stop. Bought magnet that goes on filler neck.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #3

Do what my brother does, pull into a truck lane and use the DEF pump from the other lane. If you do it fast, nobody gets too upset.

Francis M
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We're on a 7K trip and I just don't see the issue. I brought along three jugs of DEF when we started out. I used them as needed and saved the jugs. At one station, they had DEF at the pump so I refilled two of them. This week, I stopped by Walmart and did my grocery shopping and picked up three more jugs.

Most coaches can run at least 2500 miles on a tank, so it's not that big of a deal to fill at your leisure. Leaving home with a full DEF tank and carrying three additional jugs gave me a 5K range. DEF just hasn't been a concern.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #5

The DEF Tank is on the wrong side of my Fleetwood Excursion also. While on the road, I use the DEF Filler on the island next to me, I have found that their hoses are usually long enough to stretch over into my lane. When I am at home (where there is no DEF Islands) I fill a 6 gallon "Utility/Recycle Jug" (old style racing gas jug) with DEF when I go to an area where it is available, so I always have some at home when I need it. JH
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We're on a 7K trip and I just don't see the issue. I brought along three jugs of DEF when we started out. I used them as needed and saved the jugs. At one station, they had DEF at the pump so I refilled two of them. This week, I stopped by Walmart and did my grocery shopping and picked up three more jugs.

Most coaches can run at least 2500 miles on a tank, so it's not that big of a deal to fill at your leisure. Leaving home with a full DEF tank and carrying three additional jugs gave me a 5K range. DEF just hasn't been a concern.

I agree, it is a non issue. I never use truck stop DEF because I carry two jugs of Blue DEF from Walmart for about ten bucks each. That will take me 7,500 miles leaving with a full DEF tank.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Walmart 7.88 for 2.5 gal. Save containers. Use at next DEF bulk, truck stop. Tell attendent you need DEF. Do not go in wrong way at truck stop. Bought magnet that goes on filler neck.

What?. Why to save $1.18 for 2.5 gallons vs. the price at the pump? You gotta be kidding me ...
Old 09-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo View Post
I just come back from a road trip of 2500 miles Va. > Canada > Pen. > Va. filled up 5 times. needed DEF buy the 3 fillup. was at Flying J in NY state. DEF tank wrong side of motorhome at pumps. so I bought 2 and 1/2 gal. tank inside store. $19 at tank $2.68 gal. so I got to looking at gas stations, no where did I find DEF at tanks for my side on motorhome. so I keep filling my 2 1/2 gal. tank?

I see the price difference you have listed. Why not turn the coach around and go back in facing the other side. Most Flying J truck centers have plenty of room to spin around without too much trouble.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
I see the price difference you have listed. Why not turn the coach around and go back in facing the other side. Most Flying J truck centers have plenty of room to spin around without too much trouble.
So how are you going to exit, pulling a toad, when a truck pulls in the correct way?
Old 09-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Gonna make a lot of real good friends that way

They're working, we're playing... go in the right way... get your DEF in a jug and clear the fuel rack. Much nicer that way.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #11

I understand you cant and that works for you.
I on the other hand can determine based on current conditions what will work and what will not work. If their are line trucks waiting then maybe not good idea however. I have been to many truck stops with no one waiting. I am a trucker would NEVER block someone who need to fuel in a different direction and I don't think I am the only nice driver on the road
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Problem getting DEF on road

Buy Blue DEF at Walmart in a 2.5 gallon jug. Buy three and store them in the RV. Will take you 7,000 miles or so starting with a full tank.

Costs you $1.18 more than at the pump. Done.

Next question?
Old 09-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I understand you cant and that works for you.
I on the other hand can determine based on current conditions what will work and what will not work. If their are line trucks waiting then maybe not good idea however. I have been to many truck stops with no one waiting. I am a trucker would NEVER block someone who need to fuel in a different direction and I don't think I am the only nice driver on the road
That's ok for you. Just wait till you are pulled in the wrong way and a truck pulls in and blocks your exit. Then what you going to do?
Old 09-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery

Alpha 99. I never made great money working. But I was able to buy a new DP motorhome by watching and not wasting money. Saved over 200 grand so far, by doneing these $1 savings, thousands of times.