Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #1

Problem near Albuquerque. Need help.

In the middle of a trip to Texas to get new flooring in our mh. Pulled off freeway to Route 66 RV park just east of Albuquerque and engine appeared to derate and check engine light came on. Could only move about 15 mph. There is a pseudo Freightliner shop about 7 miles down the road. I am thinking of seeing if I can baby it in there and see if they can read the code that I hope was displayed when check engine light came on.

However this is disturbingly similar to the symptoms we had about 18 months ago which was supposedly fixed by replacing the Huie pump $$$$. It has run flawlessly for 3000 miles since then. I hate to believe it's another Huie problem AND WHY?.

Apparently code that was thrown the previous time did not indicate the Huie but that's what fixed it.

Sorry for the length but here's my questions 1: anybody know a good shop in the area that is trustworthy and 2: what do you experienced guys (and gals) think this could be?
Thanks in advance.
Broke in New Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 10:10 PM   #2

Did you try shutting it off, let it sit for a few minutes and restart? I have had a few of these and always clears by this method.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #3

I have turned off and restarted and the check engine light did not come back on, but was just at idle. Not in a position to take back on road until morning. Hopefully it was just a false code problem and will be fine, but with my experience with it before I'm a little worried. Maybe if it starts and seems to run fine I'll drop by the track service center 7 miles down the road and see if they can check the computer for codes. Never lost oil pressure or overheated. I don't feel like getting stranded out in the desert somewhere and I don't have ERS😓.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:57 AM   #4

Do you have a spare fuel filter and a filter wrench on board? That would be a rather quick and easy change to see if the issue goes away. If so, keep the old filter and have the service facility open it up to see if algae, crud, etc., may be hiding inside. If so, that will be valuable info to help diagnose the problem.

Good luck, and please let us know how you make out....thanks!
Old 10-12-2015, 01:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I have turned off and restarted and the check engine light did not come back on, but was just at idle. Not in a position to take back on road until morning. Hopefully it was just a false code problem and will be fine, but with my experience with it before I'm a little worried. Maybe if it starts and seems to run fine I'll drop by the track service center 7 miles down the road and see if they can check the computer for codes. Never lost oil pressure or overheated. I don't feel like getting stranded out in the desert somewhere and I don't have ERS😓.

Keep us posted. I had Cummins check mine and they could find no codes in the history at all. I have tried various approaches to this problem and none were successful until I stumbled onto a condition that I believe may be the cause. If Cummins cannot see any fault codes, try this,
When you go to start and turn on the key, I assume you have a WAIT light the same as mine indicating the intake pre heat. If you start without letting the wait light time out, it will leave a fault resident in the ECM and at some point trigger the CEL. In the past year, I have been diligent in allowing the wait light to expire before cranking. In the last 5000 miles, I have not had another CEL.
Give it a shot.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
.... I don't feel like getting stranded out in the desert somewhere and I don't have ERS��.
FWIW and future peace of mind, you can order Good Sam Roadside Assistance today on line at a discounted rate and have coverage in 24 hrs... the other providers likely offer something similar. Hope you get back on the road soon!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #7

My C-7 has done that or similar twice. Both after having driven highway speeds for several miles when I slowed for a signal & once at a toll booth. On both occasions I shut it down for a few minutes, then restarted and it was back to normal. I hope yours works out this way.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #8

Update:
Could not find anyone who could read any code that might have been thrown. This morning started up normally and decided to press on. Uneventful day and landed in Amarillo. Hopefully it was just an isolated quirk(?) but I am driving on pins and needles. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:47 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good luck! Uncertainty sucks. I hope it was just an odd blip and nothing more.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Update:
Could not find anyone who could read any code that might have been thrown. This morning started up normally and decided to press on. Uneventful day and landed in Amarillo. Hopefully it was just an isolated quirk(?) but I am driving on pins and needles. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Safe Travels, remember what I said about letting the intake heater complete its cycle before you crank. It can be tempting at times especially when you stop and restart again in a short period of time. Has worked well for me in the last 5-6K.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:35 AM   #11

We had a problem the bugged us for years. Only when towing, only with below 35 or so when we started out in the morning the transmission would not shift above 4th. We would pull over(within 3 miles), stop, restart and we were fine. No one had a solution.

Finally, we had the transmission worked on and the problems was solved. There was nothing wrong with the transmission that ever showed up on the computer.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:12 AM   #12

A friend had a similar problem with his Freightliner chassis. It lost nearly all power several times during a trip. He could not get to a Freightliner shop that could read the code so local shops replaced the fuel filter (water separator/filter?), each time getting it to run okay. Freightliner found a sensor was bad.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:35 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
There is a Cummins Coach Care center in Albuquerqe. If your engine is Cummins They can read the codes there.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #14

Thanks for all the replays. We have successfully reached our destination in Texas to have our new flooring installed. No more symptoms since that one in Albuquerque. But I'm driving waiting for the other shoe to drop. I will make sure the warm up lite goes off before starting. Also engine is a Cat C7. I'll keep you appraised when we start the next section of our trip from Weatherford to Las Vegas in about 10 days!

Tags
need help