Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Problem putting air in Crossfire Tire equalization system

Coach was in place for around a year. Checking air pressure, the rear was really low on one side. I was only able to get about 72 pounds in the left rear duels with the Crossfire system. We had 150 lbs on the compressor. We were able to 100 lbs on all others. Because the Crossfire system is supposed to keep air in one tire if the other blows, I am thinking I am having some sort of problem with it. Has anyone ever had this problem and how should I diagnose? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

If one tire has a bad leak the Crossfire will hold the pressure in the other tire to about 10-20 pounds less than it should be. Crossfires are designed for a variety of different pressures. You didn't specify what the design pressure for you Crossfires is.

My guess is that one of the tires on that side has a bad leak and the other one is now pressurized to ~72 pounds. I have to admit I've never tried to pressurize a Crossfire when one tire is bad. Usually you start with two good tires and observe how the Crossfire controls the pressure when one tire leaks.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
This occurred about two weeks ago and I just tried to add more air yesterday again. Both tires seem to be holding air fine as there was still 72 before I tried to add more. With this system, it is impossible measure each tire individually. I was hoping someone else had already experienced this. This is a 100 lb system. Thanks
Old 06-24-2016, 07:59 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startech View Post
Both tires seem to be holding air fine as there was still 72 before I tried to add more. With this system, it is impossible measure each tire individually.
How do you know there is 72 in each tire and that one isn't flat? Did you look at the duals from behind to see if one looked different from the other?
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
For future reference you can use with your Crossfire that will allow you to add TPMS sensors to each tire. These T-Lines allow you the benefit of the Crossfire equalization system while also affording you the opportunity to check each tire independently whether using a TPMS of air gauge.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry forgot the link

Stv / TMPS 16″ Hoses kit for the Crossfires | Truck Parts World
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #7

Exact same thing happened to me. Inside tire was flat. No matter how much air I put in the crossfire I was not raising the pressure. Got a hammer and found my inside dual was flat.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startech View Post
Coach was in place for around a year. Checking air pressure, the rear was really low on one side. I was only able to get about 72 pounds in the left rear duels with the Crossfire system. We had 150 lbs on the compressor. We were able to 100 lbs on all others. Because the Crossfire system is supposed to keep air in one tire if the other blows, I am thinking I am having some sort of problem with it. Has anyone ever had this problem and how should I diagnose? Thanks.
You need to address this quick before driving any substantial distance as you will be getting abnormal tire wear from having all the weight on one or the other tire. That tire is also way over it's rated load in particular at only 72 PSI and I would drive VERY slow as it's likely overheating and may destroy itself due to over-heating on you.

I have Crossfires, too and agree with other posters that you should be concerned that one of your two dualies has an air loss problem. I had noticed that there is less air flow to inflate thru the Crossfire stem than directly into the tire stems, but that does not seem to be your issue.

Can you get it up to 100 then it has dropped to 72 next time you check? Then slow leak.

Can you not get above 72 even right after you add air? Then bad leak.

You should be able to "thump" them with a hammer or something and tell by sound which one of the duals is low. Once you can tell which one is low be sure to check the Crossfire connection to that tire's valve stem - perhaps it has started to slow leak on one end or the other.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #9

I recently had to add about 5 lbs to one of my crossfires. It took what seemed like a long time, but they did eventually come up. When you think about it, you are filling two tires at the same time, and that's a lot of volume. Did you try filling the tires for several minutes?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #10

Very possible you have a problem. As others have pointed out. But, my 150PSI pancake compressor, really needs to work to put air in my 22.5 tires. I'll feed air in until the compressor kicks on. Then stop, and let the compressor run until it is at full air and stops. Set to the highest PSI setting of the compressor. This may take up to 4 to 5 times, to get my air up to 105PSI.

Best of luck to you. Good cautions about the tire damage risk, and danger, of running on dully's with one tire too low of PSI.

Please let us know what you find out!!!
Smitty

Tags
fire